• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    wigl5l6k
    Newest Member
    wigl5l6k
January Mid/long Range Winter Discussion

Wow

Lol last February and the February before last produced for a lot of people. Maybe not your area but a lot of people did get snow last February. Also February is an active winter month for a lot of places so writing off February on January 14 is not wise.

of course it produced for lot of people. I never said it didn't. I said for my area it didn't produce, so why should I believe this Feb will produce ? What's different about this Feb compared to last year that should get me excited ?

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

He's aware that February is the warmest winter month on average in most interior locations I hope.  It seemed like last year everyone was saying February would be our month too. Well that didn't turn out so well around these parts.Why should I believe this February will be any different ?

It worked out very well around here, sir!  Two Fab Febs in a row!  Can we make it a trio?!

For the Midlands of SC, we tend to get our Winter weather from the end of Jan - Feb. If Feb is the warmest, why does that happen down here in the deeper South around I-20?

apparently there's not much correlation between avg temps and snow in the south. Look at march. Its way warmer than Dec on avg but its also snowier in a lot of areas.

Well day 7 looks interesting on the 12z GFS. It's now showing some CAD setup and it would have cold in place before the system moves in. The run shows freezing rain for portions of N NC. It would then change this over to rain; but plenty of time for this to look better or worse.

http://mag.ncep.noaa.gov/Image.php?image=data%2Fgfs%2F12%2Fgfs_namer_180_850_temp_mslp_precip.gif&model=gfs&area=namer&storm=&cycle=12&param=850_temp_mslp_precip&fhr=180&group=Model+Guidance&imageSize=M&ps=model&use_mins=no&preselected_formatted_cycle_date=20160114+12+UTC&scrollx=0&scrolly=0

Before everybody jumps on me, this is really the only thing to focus on. The LR (after this potential) does not look good.

Well day 7 looks interesting on the 12z GFS. It's now showing some CAD setup and it would have cold in place before the system moves in. The run shows freezing rain for portions of N NC. It would then change this over to rain; but plenty of time for this to look better or worse.

http://mag.ncep.noaa.gov/Image.php?image=data%2Fgfs%2F12%2Fgfs_namer_180_850_temp_mslp_precip.gif&model=gfs&area=namer&storm=&cycle=12&param=850_temp_mslp_precip&fhr=180&group=Model+Guidance&imageSize=M&ps=model&use_mins=no&preselected_formatted_cycle_date=20160114+12+UTC&scrollx=0&scrolly=0

Before everybody jumps on me, this is really the only thing to focus on. The LR (after this potential) does not look good.

Yeah, nice storm for SW VA and close to snow even in N NC for a lot of it.  I'd think it bears watching.  The GFS has been pretty consistent with it over the last few runs.  It's still awhile off and there's plenty of time for it to trend better or worse.

The Euro last night did not look so hot, though, but it's D8, so it's a crap shoot, anyways.  Probably a pretty unlikely storm and it will probably be all-rain, but there isn't much else to watch after Sunday.

No upcoming pattern description ever gets a frown on my face like hearing the words strong nino does: Got blistered by it in 98 and its gooing to try to work its magic again this year me thinks. Theres still plenty of time to avoid the shutout, as Ive  never had that happen before. I can easily see Sunday doing the trace- half inch deal and keeping the undefeated streak still alive.

All that being said it can snow 20 inches in Feb for all I know, but it want matter to me because I never did and still dont want any part of a strong el nino.

Be warned the seasonal models have been showing overwhelming signals that next year is a super strong La nina. It'll be dry boys, but the mtns will love it because it'll be northwest flow city so they will be able to nickel and dime their way to seasonal avg if not above. No way they can ever do it in a strong nino cause beech mtn aint getting 100+ inches just off synoptic snows. I'm thankfull the pattern did shift big time imo from what December was coughing up and really gave us all we could ask for -nao,-ao,+pna during a nino of all things. If we can maintain this same hand weve been dealt another 6 weeks then I will be shocked if we don't score one or 2 storms.

I'm thankfull the pattern did shift big time imo from what December was coughing up and really gave us all we could ask for -nao,-ao,+pna during a nino of all things. If we can maintain this same hand weve been dealt another 6 weeks then I will be shocked if we don't score one or 2 storms.

The potential is there for sure. I think that makes it even more frustrating. It's like being a fan of the best team and being afraid it's going to come out and lay an egg. You can have all the potential in the world, but it doesn't matter if you can't come away with a win.

No upcoming pattern description ever gets a frown on my face like hearing the words strong nino does: Got blistered by it in 98 and its gooing to try to work its magic again this year me thinks. Theres still plenty of time to avoid the shutout, as Ive  never had that happen before. I can easily see Sunday doing the trace- half inch deal and keeping the undefeated streak still alive.

All that being said it can snow 20 inches in Feb for all I know, but it want matter to me because I never did and still dont want any part of a strong el nino.

Be warned the seasonal models have been showing overwhelming signals that next year is a super strong La nina. It'll be dry boys, but the mtns will love it because it'll be northwest flow city so they will be able to nickel and dime their way to seasonal avg if not above. No way they can ever do it in a strong nino cause beech mtn aint getting 100+ inches just off synoptic snows. I'm thankfull the pattern did shift big time imo from what December was coughing up and really gave us all we could ask for -nao,-ao,+pna during a nino of all things. If we can maintain this same hand weve been dealt another 6 weeks then I will be shocked if we don't score one or 2 storms.

If it's a strong la nina it may work out a lot better than this year, but if its weak or moderate... lots of bad winter stretches show up like 2011-12 and 12/13 and 2006-2008... plus the severe season may be a lot worse like 2011oni.jpg

Not a bad look:

Euro Ens Mean holds high pressure over MN into the Great Lakes for an eternity in the confluence there as the PV moves off to the east...then the big nino southern stream wave in the southwest approaches.  Has the look of a storm that will trend north eventually, but there's a lot of cold air hanging in the east with that high pressure....verbatim, the freezing lines are draped across N NC into VA as the system moves in

Euro Ens Mean holds high pressure over MN into the Great Lakes for an eternity in the confluence there as the PV moves off to the east...then the big nino southern stream wave in the southwest approaches. Has the look of a storm that will trend north eventually, but there's a lot of cold air hanging in the east with that high pressure....verbatim, the freezing lines are draped across N NC into VA as the system moves in

I would strongly suspect that given that setup, temps would be quite a bit cooler than they appear to be at this lead.

I hope some of you are young and healthy with no family history of heart problems. If not, maybe you should think about taking up checkers as a hobby instead of the weather. Much less fluctuation and volatility there.

Robert's reference to February is probably because analogs of strong El Ninos show that February is usually colder and wetter vs normal. 

At the end of Jan. I am confident that the temps will end up below ave. and precip above ave. Of course for many, if they did not get snow, the month will have sucked. Feb. was predicted by many to have temps further below ave than Jan. I know, I know..There is the dreaded longer days, and higher sun angle, and higher average temps. We hear that every year, but we have had many good snows and cold shots in February. Not saying we won't get something in the next two weeks. Just scratching my head again at all the doom and gloom posted by some folks.We must sometimes be reminded that we live in the south.  

I hope some of you are young and healthy with no family history of heart problems. If not, maybe you should think about taking up checkers as a hobby instead of the weather. Much less fluctuation and volatility there.

Robert's reference to February is probably because analogs of strong El Ninos show that February is usually colder and wetter vs normal.

At the end of Jan. I am confident that the temps will end up below ave. and precip above ave. Of course for many, if they did not get snow, the month will have sucked. Feb. was predicted by many to have temps further below ave than Jan. I know, I know..There is the dreaded longer days, and higher sun angle, and higher average temps. We hear that every year, but we have had many good snows and cold shots in February. Not saying we won't get something in the next two weeks. Just scratching my head again at all the doom and gloom posted by some folks.We must sometimes be reminded that we live in the south.

Agree! The last two years , we've gotten all of our wintry events February ! It's hard to wait, but maybe we have out shot if we don't score the next week or so!

Archived