Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
January Mid/long Range Winter Discussion

Wow

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

its a little stronger, but the key is that it stuck to its guns.  need to euro to come towards the gfs tonight or tomorrow 12z before we get too excited.

Of course, I'm in full agreement. But we have what is it now 4 model runs of the GFS with this? That's fantastic. 

GFS= stronger every run

EURO= weak every run. 

Something is gonna happen soon. gonna go wild if the Euro flips.

Fishel said the first ingredient was there...the cold air out of the north. But he said there is nothing coming along to give any precip at all. Didn't even mention the possibility of anything this weekend or even hint at it.

And that has happened over and over again since the fall. Their forecast would be dry 5 days out only to change to an inch of rain 2 or 3 days later.

No huge changes from 12z to 18z on GEFS...other than tighter low ensemble member couplets as far as track is concerned, also the couplets of the low off the coast is tight enough w/ strong enough members to give it a 1002mb mean designation as apposed to 1006mb. Small changes, it will be hard to lose this storm although I am knocking on wood.

18z GEFS looks good

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't see much of a change compared to 12z.  I am not feeling as optimistic as I was 24hrs ago, this looks like a 10:1 long shot, maybe 4:1 under the best circumstances.  One would like to see the operational EC come around at this range, with a little more than 25% of it ens mems having similar solution to the GFS.  

Despite being the most amped, there are still lower level thickness issues on the GFS, even back in to Central NC if we do get a coastal.  The long wave trough looks muted, jet orientation off the SE coast is to the ENE, 5460m isohypse barely clips N AL/GA, I could go on...

post-382-0-94310500-1452641484_thumb.jpg

No huge changes from 12z to 18z on GEFS...other than tighter low ensemble member couplets as far as track is concerned, also the couplets of the low off the coast is tight enough w/ strong enough members to give it a 1002mb mean designation as apposed to 1006mb. Small changes, it will be hard to lose this storm although I am knocking on wood.

I would assume if we took a 50 50 of the OP gfs + OP Euro and their ensembles... a lot of people could potentially see something Wintry. Both OP models are quite warm at the surface... but... we'll have to see.

I would assume if we took a 50 50 of the OP gfs + OP Euro and their ensembles... a lot of people could potentially see something Wintry. Both OP models are quite warm at the surface... but... we'll have to see.

Honestly I'm not worrying about temps until around 48 hours out, keeps a little stress off my back and I just live in fantasy land at 850mb. :) I understand why you are though, very iffy cold source. But yeah, I want to take the cold from one model and lows from the other and blend them...lol, hopefully the Euro and GFS come together something beautiful with tonight's 00z runs. All eyes on Euro, the GFS has shown it's hand.

I don't see much of a change compared to 12z. I am not feeling as optimistic as I was 24hrs ago, this looks like a 10:1 long shot, maybe 4:1 under the best circumstances. One would like to see the operational EC come around at this range, with a little more than 25% of it ens mems having similar solution to the GFS.

Despite being the most amped, there are still lower level thickness issues on the GFS, even back in to Central NC if we do get a coastal. The long wave trough looks muted, jet orientation off the SE coast is to the ENE, 5460m isohypse barely clips N AL/GA, I could go on...

attachicon.gif12zec01121612z.JPG

One thinks it's much better than 75 degrees in December

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Honestly I'm not worrying about temps until around 48 hours out, keeps a little stress off my back and I just live in fantasy land at 850mb. :) I understand why you are though, very iffy cold source. But yeah, I want to take the cold from one model and lows from the other and blend them...lol, hopefully the Euro and GFS come together something beautiful with tonight's 00z runs. All eyes on Euro, the GFS has shown it's hand.

Is this potential the GFS has the same potential the Euro blew up with a monster storm 3 or 4 days ago?  I remember seeing 12 inch+ amounts and even a 24 inch + in northern SC.

After a while, it all feels like a blur.

Let's keep in mind where the energy associated with this storm is...out in la-la land for the next 66+ hours until it arrives on land. May be until Thursday or later until we figure out what exactly will happen. Ensembles over Op is the way to go here. Analyzing temperature profiles will drive you nuts at this range.

1g0csZi.png

Archived