joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
January Mid/long Range Winter Discussion

Wow

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Don't buy the surface temps lock stock n barrel just yet.remeber this summer and gfs mid range would constantly be spitting out 110 degree temps and all sort of craziness. Something to think about.

Agreed. Right now, at least for me, it's still all about the trend. I don't think the models will have the surface figured out until a day or two ahead of time.

Don't buy the surface temps lock stock n barrel just yet.remeber this summer and gfs mid range would constantly be spitting out 110 degree temps and all sort of craziness. Something to think about.

Fair point...the new GFS was known to have the warm sfc bias as I recall....unless they've made corrections or it's more of a factor in the summer vs. winter

I agree. There is some cold/dry surface air to the west that is moving in before the precip, but the model doesn't get the colder/dryer air in quick enough. This is something that we can look at in future runs.

http://www.twisterdata.com/index.php?prog=forecast&model=GFS&grid=3&model_yyyy=2016&model_mm=01&model_dd=12&model_init_hh=12&fhour=114&parameter=DPTF&level=2&unit=M_ABOVE_GROUND&maximize=n&mode=singlemap&sounding=n&output=image&view=large&archive=false

The GFS parallel looks similar to the op.  The track takes a little more of a turn and gives central NC some 3 inch amounts.  Looks a little colder too.  Has the para been better than the op like the EURO has been?

Too many damn models these days.  Ops, Parallels, Ensembles, CRAS! :lol: (We'll be in CRAS range tomorrow... 84 hours out!... if this thing holds)

That being said, the GFS Parallel track looks very nice.  Hope it's on to something.

From LC this morning.

A complex storm threat over the eastern third of the nation may bring some critical changes to U.S. weather starting this weekend. While this will be mainly a moderate/heavy rain event below the Mason-Dixon Line (perhaps some snow and sleet in middle Appalachia), intensification off of the New Jersey coast may enable a cold air draw from Quebec on Saturday PM into Sunday. So a surprise change to snow could occur from the PHL metro into New England. Following this system: an Arctic intrusion for the Midwest and Eastern Seaboard next week.

I should also mention that there is a huge sudden stratospheric warming event is taking place. By weakening the circumpolar vortex (this time in definitive fashion), chances for widespread blocking in western and northern North America will expand yet again in the last days of January.

Smile. It's winter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

For the 1/17 system I took a look at soundings for RDU. The atmosphere is below 0C all the way through the 950mb level and only the last few hundred feet go above freezing. If the low is stronger/closer to the coast and/or heavier precip the surface temps would be colder as well. GFS does have a slight warm bias I believe as well. The key takeaway is its plenty cold aloft with -4.3C temps.

post-2321-0-29937100-1452618746_thumb.jp

Archived