Newest Member
    Toothache
January Mid/long Range Winter Discussion

Wow

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

holds serve? stays the same?

Slight changes, it goes neutral with the energy at 108 but back positive at 114. It is very close though, the placement of features is similar to the GFS but the GFS goes neutral and negative sooner. Euro took a step that direction imo with a neutral tilt for the first time at 108.

Fail ..... It's the euro, cmc vs the GFS

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It cant ever be easy it seems, as usual we are on the wrong side of that battle....hopefully the GFS pulls a winner this time around. One thing about the SE is we never ever hardly get a well modeled for sure hit more than 2-3 days out and I can only think of a handful of storms that all the models had and agreed on 5-7 days out.....

The Euro kind of takes a middle ground between the GFS and GGEM. Of course, that doesn't work out for us, but the Euro didn't show the GGEM solution, either.

Anyways, with the low going to Cuba, we've seen that one before, eh?

Not much reason to be confident at this point, but I guess we'll see. I'm a winter weather cheerleader, so I'll continue to follow along. :weenie:

The Euro kind of takes a middle ground between the GFS and GGEM. Of course, that doesn't work out for us, but the Euro didn't show the GGEM solution, either.

Anyways, with the low going to Cuba, we've seen that one before, eh?

I saw some minor but important changes in the Euro, compared this run with last night. The energy goes neutral this run at hour 108, it didn't go neutral at all on last nights run. The piece of energy over the Great Lakes also trended a little further NW which is what we need to see. The GFS has this about 100-150 miles further NW which allows room for the system to develop. If the GFS continues with the storm 18z and 00z tonight then I would expect the Euro to come around also. I don't buy the Euro sending the low into Cuba, not one bit. Small changes in these features would result in a dramatic NW trend.

I saw some minor but important changes in the Euro, compared this run with last night. The energy goes neutral this run at hour 108, it didn't go neutral at all on last nights run. The piece of energy over the Great Lakes also trended a little further NW which is what we need to see. The GFS has this about 100-150 miles further NW which allows room for the system to develop. If the GFS continues with the storm 18z and 00z tonight then I would expect the Euro to come around also.

How often does the Euro come around to the GFS solution and not the other way around? If this was the reverse, would you be saying this?

How often does the Euro come around to the GFS solution and not the other way around? If this was the reverse, would you be saying this?

Ha, true.  I'm pro Euro, but I've been saying the GFS has the hot hand of late (all these storms have been farther north and the GFS has been the first to latch onto it)....we'll see

I saw some minor but important changes in the Euro, compared this run with last night. The energy goes neutral this run at hour 108, it didn't go neutral at all on last nights run. The piece of energy over the Great Lakes also trended a little further NW which is what we need to see. The GFS has this about 100-150 miles further NW which allows room for the system to develop. If the GFS continues with the storm 18z and 00z tonight then I would expect the Euro to come around also.

Nice optimism. We can look at the ensembles but seems like it's time for the op to take center stage.

Ha, true.  I'm pro Euro, but I've been saying the GFS has the hot hand of late (all these storms have been farther north and the GFS has been the first to latch onto it)....we'll see

I wish I knew how the Euro and the GFS handled all the precip we had here since the start of fall. I wonder which one was the first to show the rain coming when we got a lot of it, and how far out it started showing it. 

More often than not the GFS comes around to the Euro. However the trend this year inside of 120 on all models has been stronger, more amplified and more NW. Just look at the storm for the 14-15th. A few days ago it was modeled to take a track inland over NC and now the models have all trended NW to the final track over Illinois with a secondary low forming in the Gulf. The trend every winter and especially this year is NW inside 120 and the GFS solution of a NW trend (Cuba versus now off the NC coast) makes more sense and why I believe it is correct. We rarely if ever see storms trend SE as the event nears its usually further north and west. I expect the Euro to make small changes that will reflect on this. The UKMET also has a similar solution to the GFS as well so it's really UK/GFS vs Euro/CMC. I'm going with the GFS solution not because I'm trying to wishcast but because the NW trend simply makes more sense with what we've seen this year.

More often than not the GFS comes around to the Euro. However the trend this year inside of 120 on all models has been stronger, more amplified and more NW. Just look at the storm for the 14-15th. A few days ago it was modeled to take a track inland over NC and now the models have all trended NW to the final track over Illinois with a secondary low forming in the Gulf. The trend every winter and especially this year is NW inside 120 and the GFS solution of a NW trend (Cuba versus now off the NC coast) makes more sense and why I believe it is correct. We rarely if ever see storms trend SE as the event nears its usually further north and west. I expect the Euro to make small changes that will reflect on this. The UKMET also has a similar solution to the GFS as well so it's really UK/GFS vs Euro/CMC. I'm going with the GFS solution not because I'm trying to wishcast but because the NW trend simply makes more sense with what we've seen this year.

You get a PV placement like the euro just had and it won't matter

High Risk highlights this in the MA forum as to why the GFS might be onto something....I emphasize might but worth a read

You get a PV placement like the euro just had and it won't matter

I expect that feature will be a little further NW similar to the GFS and UKMET idea. That's really all that would need to change and a small shift like that wouldn't be hard to get at this range.

I have seen the euro take all the other models to the woodshed more times than I can count over the years in this time range.

With that said, I will continue to have a peaked interest in this until the GFS loses the system or tracks it far enough to the south and east to do us any good.

It's not just the GFS though the UK is on board and it has done well many times and caught onto a trend before the Euro. It will be an interesting battle to watch but I'm going with the GFS/UK solution as the NW trend almost always happens inside 120.

It's not just the GFS though the UK is on board and it has done well many times and caught onto a trend before the Euro. It will be an interesting battle to watch but I'm going with the GFS/UK solution as the NW trend almost always happens inside 120.

I hear ya, and logic/past experiences would certainly give credence to that thought.

I have seen the Euro take the UK to the woodshed too, many times inside of 120.  I think the UK went through an upgrade last winter and it was the second highest scoring model.......but that was last winter.  Not sure where it is now, haven't been paying enough attention.

Really, if the precip does get squashed to Cuba like the Euro has it now, it would go against the trend here since the start of fall. Ever since then, we have had a lot of rain. And often the rain was not in the forecast until 2 or 3 days out, because the models would start to trend NW with the precip. Hopefully, the GFS is right this time and the Euro will catch on. 

Really, if the precip does get squashed to Cuba like the Euro has it now, it would go against the trend here since the start of fall. Ever since then, we have had a lot of rain. And often the rain was not in the forecast until 2 or 3 days out, because the models would start to trend NW with the precip. Hopefully, the GFS is right this time and the Euro will catch on.

Off my memory alone I think the 12 Euro Op was closer to something than the 00z was

Archived