• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
January Mid/long Range Winter Discussion

Wow

Pretty strong signal for a coastal around day 7 on the 0z globals.  No evidence of a GL's low at this early stage, quite the contrary, we may have a HP building in to New England.  0z GFS para takes the RN/SN line down south of the VA boarder, plenty of time for this to trend colder and more suppressed.   :cry:

post-382-0-23642300-1452957702_thumb.png

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Next weekend's system is starting to look like a classic Miller B to me. The models are in decent agreement for 6 days out.  The question will be how well high pressure can build into new england for CAD. It looks like if we can manage a decent HP, it would be a wintry mess for a lot of the southeast. 

The other question is how far south does the surface low transfer to the coast. We need the 5h low to dig farther south so hopefully we can get at transfer from birmingham to Charleston instead of a Nashville to Myrtle beach type transfer.

That doesnt even follow the normal wedge line. Spartanburg shouldnt be cooler than Statesville aloft in a wedge situation.

sure is a strange one...odds of it being right are essentially zero at this point but hopefully it's something to watch. quite the contrast over the upstate..32 to 50 over just a few miles.

gfs_namer_150_10m_wnd_precip_s.gif

Wow indeed. I will take my foot from this fantasy snow storm....

As depicted, this storm would be sleet/freezing for almost everyone,(that's below freezing at the surface),  even the mountains. You can count on a warm nose around 800mb with a low pressure that strong to our west.  

I just cant ever see a situation where a low over central kentucky would give anyone snow, ever. 

Me thinks the odds of the gfs getting something right at this range is less than winning the powerball. However, i'll say this..lows that head in that direction actually can greatly enhance cad..helping to draw cold air much further south than one would think. The waa in the mid levels obviously is a negative factor much of the time eventually but in the low levels it can be quite the opposite under the right circumstances.

Interesting system to watch unfold.

As cheesnado said though the mid week system looks more interesting for alabama, tn and ga at least. Low level Temps this time won't be problem as it will be cold/very dry at the surface.

I might be more inclined to buy in on this deal if the high wasnt a measly piss ant 1028MB high. There's just no way that happens as depicted.

Given that run you would need to pray the ULL travels right over you lol . But it's the GFS post day 1 so it won't play out like that

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Archived