joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
January Mid/long Range Winter Discussion

Wow

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I might be more inclined to buy in on this deal if the high wasnt a measly piss ant 1028MB high. There's just no way that happens as depicted. 

There is quite temperature gradient across the foothills but i was referring to the mountains. Looks subfreezing throughout.

I actually do not discard it completely though...despite how weak that high is. Under the right circumstances, such as this run, even weak highs can be quite efficient thanks to it increasing the gradient between the low and the high. One that always stood out to me was the january 2000 ice storm..although it was much colder ahead of it but that high was a measly 1025 to 1028mb or something like that and very transient and moved across va/nc. In this case there is a small center located over va at one point too.

Another one, which i can't recall the date, happened in north carolina a number of years ago. It occured from a measly  1022 to  1025mb high over freaking new york/vermont i believe (it was very far north), temps were not cold/dry ahead of time and freezing temps occured due to actual  advection and not evap cooling. It wasn't a huge event but it blew me away that freezing temps actually occured with such a terrible looking setup. There are others but the point is  sometimes it doesn't take that monster 1040mb high we normally like to think it does and the low can go pretty far northwest and still produce for the heart of the region assuming the source region or airmass nearby is cold enough. Of course this is dissecting this run far more than what we probably should be doing since i'm sure will look completely different very very soon lol

6.jpg

I want to remind everyone that we can no longer consider the GFS silly.  It did pretty well (and the ensembles for the most part) for the upcoming system with it's track and actually getting something going... while the Euro sent it to Cuba at times.

While the GFS wasn't perfect, it was more consistent.. and that's with 4 runs a day instead of 2.  Of course you'll get some weird solutions looking at every run of it occasionally.

As it stands the GEFS mean would be mainly rain for a big portion of the SE for the next weekend system.. 1024 High and not a horrible track at all.. moisture looks good.. I want to see the High much stronger.

Edit: that map that Wow posted above isn't half-bad and shows some members with a better setup.

If that random piece of energy sitting over the lakes wasn't there on the 12z Euro at 144hr we would be looking at major winter storm. That small shortwave is screwing up the high pressure up there. None of the models are similar in that area, so who knows how it will play out. That area will be critical in determining how strong of a high pressure can build in.

Lol learned from the past anytime Wow starts posting multiple posts it's time to get a little excited. Love the potential next week. GFS sniffing out a beautiful cad setting up, which doesn't usually lead the way in regard to superiority for cad events, not as well as nam, although nam has been garbage for awhile now. Anyhow, building consensus someone is going to get whacked. Nice to see everyone is still here. Enjoy talking with everyone.

One weakness of Euro (at least back when I lived in N.C. and followed it more closely) was that it wasn't great on forecasting CAD in the medium range. That's a pretty sweet low track it's depicting. Nice to have model agreement in the 6/7 day range on some sort of big storm.

Hey man! hope things are good down in fla. Maybe we can work on some 1899 repeat to get you some snow :)

Archived