joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
January Mid/long Range Winter Discussion

Wow

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm not sure what you're getting at but my point is a surface low riding up central Tennessee into ky will flood the mid levels with warm air. The only way this works is for a ukie solution.

attachicon.gifgfs_t850_ma_19.png

You were saying it was a huge jump towards the GFS -- It's not even close to the GFS at this point. 

850mb temps at the same time is completely different as well as the whole evolution of the system. 12z Euro brings the low into C TN (not even KY) and transfer to the NC/SC coastline. The GFS takes the low into W KY and slowly transfer to the NC/VA coastline around Norfolk before sliding out to sea. For comparison, here is the 850 temps from the Euro.

qmCrtx5.png

I think you are dismissing this too soon. The mountains still get crushed and even the foothills are teetering on a good snow from the Euro. 

You were saying it was a huge jump towards the GFS -- It's not even close to the GFS at this point.

850mb temps at the same time is completely different as well as the whole evolution of the system. 12z Euro brings the low into C TN (not even KY) and transfer to the NC/SC coastline. The GFS takes the low into W KY and slowly transfer to the NC/VA coastline around Norfolk before sliding out to sea. For comparison, here is the 850 temps from the Euro.

qmCrtx5.png

I think you are dismissing this too soon. The mountains still get crushed and even the foothills are teetering on a good snow from the Euro.

I'm not dismissing it. It's not a good sign that the euro wants to miller b. I am really hoping this stays a solid miller a.

The JMA and NAVGEM are further south, along with the UKMET, FWIW.

EDIT: The GGEM ENS mean is also much further south, although I'm not sure if you should ever really look at the GGEM ENS. :lol:

I am thinking this might be more likely an icy situation rather than a snowy one for the CAD areas, though.  Hope I am wrong.

The JMA and NAVGEM are further south, along with the UKMET, FWIW.

EDIT: The GGEM ENS mean is also much further south, although I'm not sure if you should ever really look at the GGEM ENS. :lol:

I am thinking this might be more likely an icy situation rather than a snowy one for the CAD areas, though. Hope I am wrong.

We are due for an ice storm

No need to throw in the towel yet. The ukmet takes a surface low from columbus, GA to just off Cape Hatteras. It also pinches off a sub 540 low through the carolinas. Definitely nothing like the GFS.

Also, the Navy model is way south of the GFS, and would imply a nice CAD hit for NC and maybe SC.

I understand positive thinking and all, but I just think anyone in the upstate looking for snow this week is setting themselves up for disappointment. This morning was the best set up of the 3 and still didn't have either the cold or the moisture for it to work. Tuesday system does not look to have any precip and Friday system doesn't have any cold. Yes it is possible for the models to show a big S trend between now and then but how many winter systems does that happen with around here? We might win the lottery between now and then too but don't get your hopes up. I really hope Fab Feb comes in and I think we may actually have a possibility or two the first week of March with the very strong Nino declining. The cold should continue coming farther south over the next few weeks but the old cold-dry and warm-wet is the norm and this year is no exception. Mtns will get a couple big dogs this year and probably north of I-40 folks will see some fun, but I'm afraid this will be a long frustrating winter for the rest of us. Most of the sytems we will have a "chance" with will mirror this mornings - stying to struggle to get temps down to low-mid 30s and hoping for big time rates. The true cold overrunning events like Jan 88 and Jan 11 just don't come around very often.  

Archived