• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    gopenoxfox
    Newest Member
    gopenoxfox
January Med/Long Range Discussion

North Balti Zen

That's a good question... I don't think it's happened ever since I started following weather in January 2002. Wow.

Seems like 1/12/1996 and 1/20/2000 are the most recent examples.

Wasn't that period around the time of Commutegeddon in 2011?

eta: There have been several. Since the link keeps changing, here is dca's monthly snowfall reports http://www.weather.gov/media/lwx/climate/dcasnow.pdf

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Pretty terrible EURO run. ugh. 

Let me explain...there just isn't anything close to a snowstorm on the run. Few decent arctic outbreaks, but just nothing close to a snowstorm.

However, the GFS ensembles have a lot of huge hits in the 16-18th range. Only thing to really grasp onto on the 00z runs. 

The 17th looks like a slow moving arctic front on the 6z.  An nothing looks like the 18z from yesterday.  Go figure.  Maybe we'll get lucky late Jan/Feb but if the pattern is supposed to be moving in a certain direction then I have to wonder what direction that is. 

2011 and a few small events in 2014 but that's about it for this region.

Wasn't that period around the time of Commutegeddon in 2011?

eta: There have been several. Since the link keeps changing, here is dca's monthly snowfall reports http://www.weather.gov/media/lwx/climate/dcasnow.pdf

Well, it looks like a 14-incher snuck in at the very end of January during the 1966 super nino--if that counts for anything

Nope, he was talking specifically about significant events from Jan 10 to Jan 20th. There've hardly been any in recent years.

Commutageddon was late in the month.

Let me explain...there just isn't anything close to a snowstorm on the run. Few decent arctic outbreaks, but just nothing close to a snowstorm.

However, the GFS ensembles have a lot of huge hits in the 16-18th range. Only thing to really grasp onto on the 00z runs. 

Ensembles > OP in the 10+ day range. Why are we even tracking 12 day storms? lol

Ensembles > OP in the 10+ day range. Why are we even tracking 12 day storms? lol

Pretty sure the ensembles were calling for a snowstorm this weekend several days ago...that is why DT went woof...the ensembles are only correct when they scream warm

To make matters worse, my dad is getting Bay effect snow right now in Hampton Roads. Already a dusting and still snowing hard. The band has grown too. I can't believe they get snow before us... That is not why I moved up here.

Edit: Not to mention Cape Cod is getting heavy Ocean Effect right now

To make matters worse, my dad is getting Bay effect snow right now in Hampton Roads. Already a dusting and still snowing hard. The band has grown too. I can't believe they get snow before us... That is not why I moved up here.

Edit: Not to mention Cape Cod is getting heavy Ocean Effect right now

It already snowed in Vegas too.

I keep worrying about a procrastination winter that never produces! I think we were spoiled the last 2 years, but I also think we waited quite a while to get snow last year as well.. kept hoping in January and it took until February to deliver. It was plenty cold last January!

We had a couple very minor events in November 2014. That winter started early, just didn't get much snow til late Jan.

Pretty sure the ensembles were calling for a snowstorm this weekend several days ago...that is why DT went woof...the ensembles are only correct when they scream warm

Not really. He started "barking" based on the advertised pattern on the Ensembles beginning to look favorable for an east coast storm. His thread was started on the 29th I believe. At least on the GEFS there was no storm, looking ahead to Jan 10-11. The trough axis/lowest height anomalies being advertised at that time were still pretty far west if you go back and look. 

Mid-Jan is kind of a black hole in the snowfall records.  At DCA, the record on the 14th is 1.6".  2.2" on the 16th and 2.9" on the 8th.  No daily records over 10" from the 8th to 21st. 

It's definitely strange and something I have wondered about for a while especially considering this is the period of the year with the coldest averages. 

I had a post in some thread a while back about how there is another strange snow hole period in December centered between the 17th and 26th. I never did any research on it and went strictly by memory by it seemed like snowfall in December is more likely to occur between the 3rd and 15th opposed to the second half go the month. 

Archived