• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    northernriwx
    Newest Member
    northernriwx
January Med/Long Range Discussion

North Balti Zen

HM says this is a bootleg -ao/-nao not caused by the typical processes. But either way too much PV focus in recent years. Always wonder how something that was never big on the wx forums goes viral.

When does something we say here ever go viral? ;)

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

When does something we say here ever go viral? ;)

well more it is an obscure subject even for a weather forum. but the media has largely used and abused it for clicks.. so it's not totally unexplainable.

Jan 11 looks a bit better at the sfc mainly because of location but the background pattern on models is less favorable than it was a few days ago. I still wouldn't totally give up on it but it does seem somewhat a long shot to be anything of great value esp east of the mtns.

Wow Ian. Weeklies are best just to not look. We lose the ao/nao/epo straight to the end and daily heights have shades of Dec with that stupid + anom to our NE again. Oof

Yeah just checking wxbell now after seeing note. Not so good. Everything breaks down pretty rapidly after d 15-16 or so. 1997-98 didn't work with blocking so maybe that was the problem. :P

Jan 11 looks a bit better at the sfc mainly because of location but the background pattern on models is less favorable than it was a few days ago. I still wouldn't totally give up on it but it does seem somewhat a long shot to be anything of great value esp east of the mtns.

For a HECS it doesn't look good, I can easily see a post frontal SW flow event on the 11th.

Yeah just checking wxbell now after seeing note. Not so good. Everything breaks down pretty rapidly after d 15-16 or so. 1997-98 didn't work with blocking so maybe that was the problem. :P

Oh goodie, so winter begins and ends with a 150hr storm threat next week? This subforum is going to be great to read

Wow Ian. Weeklies are best just to not look. We lose the ao/nao/epo straight to the end and daily heights have shades of Dec with that stupid + anom to our NE again. Oof

The weeklies have really struggled this year.  They missed the December torch 3 weeks out and even got handled at H5 by the climate models (CFSV2, JMA, CanSIPS).  In the back of the mind, I have the JMA and CanSIPS still insisting on a relatively cold January and February.  Those models have been quite effective in the Nino years of the past.  I suppose the NAO is a sincere wildcard for any of those models, but it's hard to panic yet.  There are absolutely no signs of anything more than a brief pattern relaxation in 15 days (if that).

We all knew this modeled cold wouldn't last for weeks on end.  This is a super nino; we will have brief, and intense periods to score between now and March 15th.  The important thing is we do not fall back to the ridiculous resilient ridge over New England.

On another note, the 18z GEFS ensemble is arguably the best one of the year for snow lovers with measurable down to New Orleans (although that's not saying much).

The weeklies have really struggled this year.  They missed the December torch 3 weeks out and even got handled at H5 by the climate models (CFSV2, JMA, CanSIPS).  In the back of the mind, I have the JMA and CanSIPS still insisting on a relatively cold January and February.  Those models have been quite effective in the Nino years of the past.  I suppose the NAO is a sincere wildcard for any of those models, but it's hard to panic yet.  There are absolutely no signs of anything more than a brief pattern relaxation in 15 days (if that).

We all knew this modeled cold wouldn't last for weeks on end.  This is a super nino; we will have brief, and intense periods to score between now and March 15th.  The important thing is we do not fall back to the ridiculous resilient ridge over New England.

On another note, the 18z GEFS ensemble is arguably the best one of the year for snow lovers with measurable down to New Orleans (although that's not saying much).

Good post and I'm not worried. I didn't expect this to be a big # of events or big snowfall winter going in. Would be nice to get on the board this month though. If we blank out mid month and relax last part of Jan then back loaded is an understatement if we do get a good period in Feb.  

Things seem pretty ripe for something coming up. I'd be happy with a plain vanilla 3-5" event. 

Good post and I'm not worried. I didn't expect this to be a big # of events or big snowfall winter going in. Would be nice to get on the board this month though. If we blank out mid month and relax last part of Jan then back loaded is an understatement if we do get a good period in Feb.  

Things seem pretty ripe for something coming up. I'd be happy with a plain vanilla 3-5" event.

I was going to say kind of the same thing. I don't think most expected wall-to-wall good pattern, but enough chances for some events. Perhaps even one memorable one. Not saying we'll get a HECS, but would not be surprised by a better than moderate event this year. As long as we don't go back to the December pattern at least, but have legitimate good periods through about mid-March. I'm good with a back-loaded winter; heck, I thought last year was memorable for that 4 week period in Feb-Mar alone. In that event, I don't much care that Dec being +11.5 overwhelms the overall mean winter temperature (which it almost certainly will no matter what anyhow).

FWIW.... this is somewhat depressing

Blocking

A new kid has shown up on the block for January and it’s known as “blocking”.  This signifies large areas of high pressure stalling out to our far north, for example in Alaska, the North Pole, and Greenland.  When that happens, it helps transport cold air southward in our general direction.

In a normal winter, we would be blasting headlines about a massive, sustainable cold winter pattern.  But this is not a normal winter and the powerful tropical Pacific super El Niño should frequently act to offset the typically colder blocking influences.  This happened in January 1998 too when blocking over the North Pole (negative Arctic Oscillation) was prevented from affecting the U.S. as much and the pattern stayed warm-dominated.  We expect this blocking to bring some cold into our area (like early this week and again later next week), but its duration and intensity should be more limited thanks to El Niño.

It's like a heartbeat or breathing. High latitudes flex then nino flexes back. Just gotta get lucky. Looking back at strong nino cold outbreaks tonight it does seem many look like the next one ahead. Dumps from western Canada into the Plains with it spreading east while moderating a bit. 1973 had a pretty similar looking period as did 1966 and others. 1998 was never truly cold in Jan... Think we will see colder this year without problem.

2nd low is much different, It forms earlier when the 1st low is directly north, so you get a strung out warm mess.

Yep, you get a cold front.  And my oh my that cold air behind it means business!  Should be a nice overrunning surface for the unicorn storm, you know the storm, after the storm, after the storm.

Jan 15-20 is the best window right now, before that looks like the thermal profiles are wrecked by the low in the lakes and after that could go either way IMO

That's the way it looks right now but on an unrelated note can anyone remember the last time we had a decent event centered around those dates in January. Despite the period between the 10th and 20th of January being right in the heart of meteorological winter it has not produced. It's late so maybe I am missing some storms that happened but I just can't think of any right now that were better than minor or very low end moderate. 

That's the way it looks right now but on an unrelated note can anyone remember the last time we had a decent event centered around those dates in January. Despite the period between the 10th and 20th of January being right in the heart of meteorological winter it has not produced. It's late so maybe I am missing some storms that happened but I just can't think of any right now that were better than minor or very low end moderate. 

That's a good question... I don't think it's happened ever since I started following weather in January 2002. Wow.

Seems like 1/12/1996 and 1/20/2000 are the most recent examples.

That's a good question... I don't think it's happened ever since I started following weather in January 2002. Wow.

Seems like 1/12/1996 and 1/20/2000 are the most recent examples.

2011 and a few small events in 2014 but that's about it for this region.

Archived