• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
December warm NOT White

PB GFI

That looks terribly unrealistic though. We'll be somewhere between +10 and 12 by the time December ends and January looks to start warm.

Talk about a tremendous downhill climb we'd need to average near or below normal for met winter.

I agree , this is why I NEVER included Dec in my J -M idea .  That map includes D , as UNC says FEB would have to be - 10 and Jan -1 . 

Not impossible , but I would not predict that  if J + 3  F - 2  M  N  I could buy that . We saw - 10 last Feb ( 2 in a row )  eeek . 

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I agree , this is why I NEVER included Dec in my J -M idea .  That map includes D , as UNC says FEB would have to be - 10 and Jan -1 . 

Not impossible , but I would not predict that  if J + 3  F - 2  M  N  I could buy that . We saw - 10 last Feb ( 2 in a row )  eeek . 

The big time departures are difficult for models to pick up on.  Look at  Feb 2015 and Dec 2015, I did not see any model that picked up on the intensity of the departure for either month and we're talking polar opposites.

The big time departures are difficult for models to pick up on.  Look at  Feb 2015 and Dec 2015, I did not see any model that picked up on the intensity of the departure for either month and we're talking polar opposites.

Forecasting  a deep - departure not modeled  in a super NINO would be disastrous to one credibility . 

With the temperature having reached 56° at 8 am, even if the remainder of December experienced normal temperatures, the monthly mean temperature would come out to 44.3°. That would beat the existing record of 44.1°, which was set in 2001. November and December 2015 would then hold the record for highest average temperature for each of those months. In both cases, 2015's monthly record would have beaten the previous records that were established in 2001.

With the temperature having reached 56° at 8 am, even if the remainder of December experienced normal temperatures, the monthly mean temperature would come out to 44.3°. That would beat the existing record of 44.1°, which was set in 2001. November and December 2015 would then hold the record for highest average temperature for each of those months. In both cases, 2015's monthly record would have beaten the previous records that were established in 2001.

It will be quite a shock to the body when we finally get some real cold air in January and February

It will be quite a shock to the body when we finally get some real cold air in January and February

Even the coming chillier weather will feel quite cold. Normally 40s actually feel okay but not this time.

Today will probably pull a +15 and it won't even faze people anymore, which is a true testament to how warm things have been.

GFSx still loves those double digits above normal temperatures for the next 8 days (including today)   +10degs.

So (12.1x16) + (10.0x8) = 273 surplus degrees, with a target of 211 for an all time warmest Dec., the remaining 7 days of the month would have to be   62/7=-9degs. to prevent this.   If the last week of the month were to at least turn out normal we would still set new monthly record  by 2degs.

http://www.nws.noaa.gov/cgi-bin/mos/getmex.pl?sta=KACY&sta=KEWR&sta=KNYC&sta=KJFK&sta=KLGA

GFSx still loves those double digits above normal temperatures for the next 8 days (including today)   +10degs.

So (12.1x16) + (10.0x8) = 273 surplus degrees, with a target of 211 for an all time warmest Dec., the remaining 7 days of the month would have to be   62/7=-9degs. to prevent this.   If the last week of the month were to at least turn out normal we would still set new monthly record  by 2degs.

http://www.nws.noaa.gov/cgi-bin/mos/getmex.pl?sta=KACY&sta=KEWR&sta=KNYC&sta=KJFK&sta=KLGA

Park is already at 58 before 10 am. GFSx only has 57 as a high.

It's all about timing of the front. Slow we roast fast we chill. Granted back towards normal.

we aren't going to stay in the 70's for days in late december, even in the warmest on record. and we still have temps much above average with the 0c 850 line well to the north

Dec. probably will be the warmest on record by a lot...In 1891 the average was 42.3...The previous 30 years averaged near 33.1 making it a +9.2 over the average...1923-24 averaged 42.0...The previous 30 years averaged near 34.8 making it a +7.2 departure...Since 1985 the average is near 38.0...December must average  47.2 to tie 1891 for the greatest plus departure for December using the previous 30 year average...it might happen...

Dec. probably will be the warmest on record by a lot...In 1891 the average was 42.3...The previous 30 years averaged near 33.1 making it a +9.2 over the average...1923-24 averaged 42.0...The previous 30 years averaged near 34.8 making it a +7.2 departure...Since 1985 the average is near 38.0...December must average  47.2 to tie 1891 for the greatest plus departure for December using the previous 30 year average...it might happen...

The GEFS mean has NYC holding around +12 for December. So this would allow NYC to beat December 2001

by about 5 degrees. The GEFS has December finishing around 49.5 vs the previous record 2001 of 44.1.

The GEFS mean has NYC holding around +12 for December. So this would allow NYC to beat December 2001

by about 5 degrees. The GEFS has December finishing around 49.5 vs the previous record 2001 of 44.1.

I would think if we finish +5 over the record that's the largest amount a new record has ever topped an old for the month

I would think if we finish +5 over the record that's the largest amount a new record has ever topped an old for the month

Yeah, this is on track to be a very extreme record warmth event. Most of warmest months on record

are only a few tenths to a degree warmer than the previous record.

http://www.weather.gov/media/okx/Climate/CentralPark/warmcoldmonths.pdf

Archived