Newest Member
    Toothache
December warm NOT White

PB GFI

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I bought a new XMAS tree.

There seems to be a developing shortage of this new and unexpectedly popular Christmas tree. It will be interesting to see shortly whether the EC Ensembles support the operational run

P.S. The operational model and ensembles are in very strong agreement at 240 hours. This will represent a nice "battle" between the colder GFS camp and warmer ECMWF camp.

There seems to be a developing shortage of this new and unexpectedly popular Christmas tree. It will be interesting to see shortly whether the EC Ensembles support the operational run

P.S. The operational model and ensembles are in very strong agreement at 240 hours. This will represent a nice "battle" between the colder GFS camp and warmer ECMWF camp.

Don , the trough is digging so deep into the SW  the ridge has no choice but to explode in the E . 

ecmwf_z500a_namer_10.png

Don , the trough is digging so deep into the SW  the ridge has no choice but to explode in the E . 

I agree. It's an amazing 500 mb look (though I'd personally prefer if the ridge and trough positions were swapped).

Just so there's no confusion, my comment about the "warmer" ECMWF operational/ensemble suite concerns the 12/25-26 period, only. The forecast is similar to what the GFS/GFS ensembles had been showing through the 12/16 0z run. 9-10 days out is still a lot of time for some changes.

Since we're dealing with absurd numbers (absurd warmth, not the data you've posted), the GEFS idea would be the equivalent of the 8th warmest November on record for Central Park.

It's pretty wild that a December monthly mean in that range is normal for Myrtle Beach, South Carolina.

http://www.atmos.washington.edu/marka/normals/50states_normals.2010.html

Most trees still go off of length of day vs temps so i wouldn't expect much to happen

Definitely truth to this. Perennials often go by soil temps so I would expect to start seeing early season flowers like daffodils. Also some fruit trees can and will flower. The big deciduous forest trees are doing the plant equivocate of hibernating and aren't waking up because it's warm in December

will winter say hello when it's time to say goodbye?...the lack of cold air in the east is scary...even in 2006 there was a brief arctic shot early in the month...It's February or bust...

You definitely want to see the Pacific start to reshuffle in early Jan .

There is a lag so an early Jan shuffle means you feel the effects mid month

A mid month shuffle means late Jan , so on and so forth .

Is it even guaranteed to change ? No , but I think it does.

I am all in by mid Jan.

57 and 65 turned. 97 flipped too. To warm , funny no one talks about that.

I have seen extreme flips 89 comes to mind.

I am not worried . If we circle back in mid Jan and the ensembles have red paint all over them then I will say uncle .....

Could Saturday be the coldest temps we see for the next few weeks?

And if that massive ridge unfolds with ridiculous temps then we will see mass blooming and budding into January despite the lack of sun/low sun angle.

Not so sure of that at least in the burbs, this weekend will feature low temps in the mid 20's which should keep things in dormancy not to mention the minimum daylight (which plants respond to as well)

You definitely want to see the Pacific start to reshuffle in early Jan .

There is a lag so an early Jan shuffle means you feel the effects mid month

A mid month shuffle means late Jan , so on and so forth .

Is it even guaranteed to change ? No , but I think it does.

I am all in by mid Jan.

57 and 65 turned. 97 flipped too. To warm , funny no one talks about that.

I have seen extreme flips 89 comes to mind.

I am not worried . If we circle back in mid Jan and the ensembles have red paint all over them then I will say uncle .....

New JAMSTEC 

Coldest run on the JAMSTEC yet ,  Courtesy of  Stadium Wave. 

Unc for this to verify the second half of Jan and Feb would have to flip like 89 did but the other way .

I think this is wrong , I don`t think the 3 month anomalies look like this come March 1

This model nailed the last 2 winters , I don`t see this ... 

temp2.glob.DJF2016.1dec2015.gif

Not so sure of that at least in the burbs, this weekend will feature low temps in the mid 20's which should keep things in dormancy not to mention the minimum daylight (which plants respond to as well)

Then maybe the early spring stuff at least. We'll have to see how the next few weeks unfold. Now if this continues a month from now then maybe.

New JAMSTEC 

Unc for this to verify the second half of Jan and Feb would have to flip like 89 did but the other way .

I think this is wrong , I don`t think the 3 month anomalies look like this come March 1

what a sea of warmth globally though...wow.   No blue anywhere except the USA-amazing last 3 years in that regard

New JAMSTEC 

if February 2016 is ten degrees warmer than 2015 it still will be cold enough...Will it be wet enough?...1997-98 had a negative ao for most of the winter but it wasn't as strong negative the second half...winters with a late season -ao usually end well...TWT...

En Fuego . - EPO forced the cold air into our little enclave .

Just lucky I guess .

That looks terribly unrealistic though. We'll be somewhere between +10 and 12 by the time December ends and January looks to start warm.

Talk about a tremendous downhill climb we'd need to average near or below normal for met winter.

Archived