Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
December warm NOT White

PB GFI

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The ensembles have come in even warmer especially over the next week in an already

historic December pattern. The current December +11.3 in NYC is set to rise

easily surpassing 2001 for the warmest December by a wide margin. Just an amazing

pattern this year with warmth and anomalous ridging persisting from May right into

the early winter so far.

Next 7 day departure forecast GEFS

The ensembles have come in even warmer especially over the next week in an already

easily surpassing 2001 for the warmest December by a wide margin. Just an amazing

pattern this year with warmth and anomalous ridging persisting from May right into

the early winter so far.

That is phenomenal; those numbers are literally off the charts, and this month's warmth is the cherry on top. The fact that this December's departure could be nearly double that of 2001 is jaw dropping.

the early winter so far.

That is phenomenal; those numbers are literally off the charts, and this month's warmth is the cherry on top. The fact that this December's departure could be nearly double that of 2001 is jaw dropping.

Perhaps the global warming has finally kinked in.

the early winter so far.

This will be the greatest positive monthly departure for NYC. We normally beat the previous

record by a few tenths to a degree. This is just off the charts.

The GFSx is now +19degs. for the next 8 days (including today)  Using actual for first 20 days, GFSx for the next 8, and Accuweather for final 3 days of the month:

(11.3x20) + (19.0x8) + (8.0x3) = 402  or 402/31 =+13degs. for the month.

http://www.nws.noaa.gov/cgi-bin/mos/getmex.pl?sta=KACY&sta=KEWR&sta=KNYC&sta=KJFK&sta=KLGA

The GFSx is now +19degs. for the next 8 days (including today)  Using actual for first 20 days, GFSx for the next 8, and Accuweather for final 3 days of the month:

(11.3x20) + (19.0x8) + (8.0x3) = 402  or 402/31 =+13degs. for the month.

http://www.nws.noaa.gov/cgi-bin/mos/getmex.pl?sta=KACY&sta=KEWR&sta=KNYC&sta=KJFK&sta=KLGA

It has been jumping back and forth....in 10 more days this horrible month will be over!

This will be the greatest positive monthly departure for NYC. We normally beat the previous

record by a few tenths to a degree. This is just off the charts.

You either accept the fact the 30-year normals are no longer valid, as they are too long to capture a moving target---or you must admit this a Sigma 6+ event, putting it in the once every thousand to ten thousand year category. 

You either accept the fact the 30-year normals are no longer valid, as they are too long to capture a moving target---or you must admit this a Sigma 6+ event, putting it in the once every thousand to ten thousand year category. 

When you add the background warming trend to such a strong El Nino these extreme departures outside the 30 year climo

can happen. Something similar happened in the Midwest during a La Nina in March 2012. Chicago beat their previous

warmest March by 5 degrees. The common denominator along with the warming is super strong 500 mb ridges getting

stuck in place for extended periods of time. This persistent ridge has been responsible for record warmth here

going back to May.

This month definitely reminds me of March 2012 accept that month was even more extreme than what we're currently witnessing.

12z gfs ups the warm ante even more. I really believe all time monthly record highs will fail, which happens to be the only major record left to break.

Highs ranging from 74-78F are my guess for Xmas eve.

This month definitely reminds me of March 2012 accept that month was even more extreme than what we're currently witnessing.

12z gfs ups the warm ante even more. I really believe all time monthly record highs will fail, which happens to be the only major record left to break.

Highs ranging from 74-78F are my guess for Xmas eve.

No way. Not even close. We're likely to eclipse the warmest December on record by 5+ degrees...March 2012 didn't even make the top spot. This month might even end up warmer than March 2012 in absolute terms.

No way. Not even close. We're likely to eclipse the warmest December on record by 5+ degrees...March 2012 didn't even make the top spot. This month might even end up warmer than March 2012.

I wasn't referring to March 2012's impacts on us but rather the extreme nature of the month and its target location, which focused on the Midwest/Plain states.

I wasn't referring to March 2012's impacts on us but rather the extreme nature of the month and its target location, which focused on the Midwest/Plain states.

Ah ok. Yeah, March 2012 was pretty insane for the nation as a whole. Hard to compare March to December, though. Two very different animals...December has it's swings, but never have we seen a month of winter completely erased like this.

Let's not lose sight of the SST's which are rising.    Now 55degs. @ 44065,   and Coney Island is reporting 53degs. and this is given as +8.

Unreal. Coastal locations probably won't have the luxury of cooler SSTs to help them in marginal setups even into late January this winter. On the other hand, you'd think we could be in for quite a show of a storm if we can ever manage to get a true arctic air mass combined with a good coastal track.

what were the sst when we had the halloween snowstorm a few years ago.. or the snowstorm after sandy.. they had to be similar or maybe even higher...[/quote

Way warmer then currently right around 60. All it took was the 20 miles of Long Island sound to turn the north shore of LI to rain.

Over the years I've found that usually if your 850s are -10c or warmer you usually want the ocean temps to be 44-45 or lower in order to not have potential mixing issues. Of course that is with a long fetch. I don't think an 040 wind off long island sound with a 50 degree water temp would be enough to change things over.

Archived