• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Mid-Atlantic winter 2015-16 snowfall contest

PrinceFrederickWx

If you are using super El Nino as an analog, it isn't really (97-98).

What the hell... I'll put one in.  Thinking of 82-83 with this.

DCA: 23"
IAD: 32"
BWI: 29"
RIC: 24"

Tiebreaker: 3.93"

I figured he was using 72/73 and 97/98 as analogs. Rodney's a really smart guy though so his forecast is scaring me a little.  :unsure:

DCA: 9.4
IAD: 16.3
BWI: 14.2
RIC: 3.3

Tiebreaker: 6.2  (assuming "total precipitation" translates to snow and not any rain)

Total precip for the month is rain + the liquid equivalent of any frozen precip.

• Replies 214
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If you are using super El Nino as an analog, it isn't really (97-98).

What the hell... I'll put one in.  Thinking of 82-83 with this.

DCA: 23"
IAD: 32"
BWI: 29"
RIC: 24"

Tiebreaker: 3.93"

I understood the reason.,..But it is an enormous outlier...I guess fun for a contest to throw something goofy out there...plus might be positioned to win if it is 4" or so

I understood the reason.,..But it is an enormous outlier...I guess fun for a contest to throw something goofy out there...plus might be positioned to win if it is 4" or so

I don't think its goofy.  The fact its happened twice, both in strong El Ninos, and we currently have a very strong El Nino, suggests its quite possible.  I don't think we will be that screwed, but I certainly don't *know* that. 

We have a similar contest in the office.  Almost everyone is lower than my forecast.

I don't think its goofy.  The fact its happened twice, both in strong El Ninos, and we currently have a very strong El Nino, suggests its quite possible.  I don't think we will be that screwed, but I certainly don't *know* that. 

We have a similar contest in the office.  Almost everyone is lower than my forecast.

I wouldn't use the words "quite possible".  It's possible because it happened. And even in those 2 winters it took quite a bit of luck to get shutout.   I'd say it is very unlikely DCA will get <1", though because we are in a super nino the chances of a shutout are certainly better than if we were in a weak or moderate one..still low though..It's hard to get shut out here...even at awful DCA

I wouldn't use the words "quite possible".  It's possible because it happened. And even in those 2 winters it took quite a bit of luck to get shutout.   I'd say it is very unlikely DCA will get <1", though because we are in a super nino the chances of a shutout are certainly better than if we were in a weak or moderate one..still low though..It's hard to get shut out here...even at awful DCA

This is a bit of an arbitrary time period... but its happened twice in the last 50 years...  so 4% chance right out of the gate.  Similar ENSO conditions probably double that, at least.

I figured he was using 72/73 and 97/98 as analogs. Rodney's a really smart guy though so his forecast is scaring me a little.  :unsure:

With respect to the first half of the latter statement, some of my family members would say that you obviously don't know me that well. ;)  But you are correct about the analogs.  The three strongest El Ninos have twice been associated with 0.1 inches of snow at DCA, with the third (1982-83) being associated with 27.6 inches there.  But the latter was a fluke, with way above average winter temperatures and way below average winter precipitation at DCA.  I think that the big unknown is whether there is a causal relationship between extreme El Ninos and warm mid-Atlantic winter temperatures.  I believe that there is, but it is a small sample size with a lot of unknowns.  However, I'm anticipating an extreme El Nino this winter with well above average Mid-Atlantic temperatures.

In any event, I don't think that there is a causal relationship between any of our snow forecasts and what actually happens.  :)

my 20" for DCA comes from an average of 16 analogs...

1899-00.....35.6""

1905-06.....25.7"

1918-19.......3.3"

1940-41.....17.9"

1941-42.....13.6"

1951-52.....10.2"

1957-58.....40.4"

1965-66.....28.4"

1979-80.....20.1"

1982-83.....27.6"

1986-87.....31.1"

1987-88.....25.0"

1991-92.......6.6"

1994-95.....10.1"

2006-07.......9.5"

2014-15.....18.3"

We have 29 entries so far. The more the better, so any lurkers or new people are encouraged to jump on board!

Feel free to edit your predictions before the deadline, but if you do, please put a note at the end of your post that you edited it. I've already started entering numbers in the spreadsheet, so I don't want to miss it!

Clueless, you put 5.25" for RIC so I just rounded it up to 5.3".

:axe:

Lol. I might change it but that's how I feel right now. If Dec looks to be the type of month that needs a lot of work to get right in JF then the window starts getting pretty small. And we need more than 3-4 weeks of good chances to do well more often than not.

The rarity of 3 climo winters in a row is playing on my mind as well... I hope I massively bust low of course.

Archived