• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
TS Bill Remnants: Severe and Flooding Risk

yoda

Just got hit pretty hard in Chesapeake. Awesome shelf cloud associated with the line illuminated by lightning. Would have been amazing if it was daytime. Wind was howling and the lightning was prolific --I'm officially satisfied.

• Replies 421
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Good to know that I could have DP in the mid 70s, 2+ inches of precipitable water, and the remnants of a tropical storm pass nearly over my house, and get all of .15" of rain.

Cool to see the severe weenies get a good taste, but God**** this is getting old.  I'm actually running about normal for June, but what happens when this wet pattern eventually turns dry?  It is so frustrating living here, especially in the summer.

Good to know that I could have DP in the mid 70s, 2+ inches of precipitable water, and the remnants of a tropical storm pass nearly over my house, and get all of .15" of rain.

Cool to see the severe weenies get a good taste, but God**** this is getting old.  I'm actually running about normal for June, but what happens when this wet pattern eventually turns dry?  It is so frustrating living here, especially in the summer.

Dude...

Went out to asses my garden this morning. Two of my corn stalks were snapped in half, no cob on them so just cut them off. A very tall weed type thing was snapped at its base in the tree line behind my house. And within that tree line in the same area as the tall weed their is a tree and shrubs that has been flattened down. Had to straighten up my tomato cages. So some decent wind gust cut through that small area and left everything else around it there is a young tree down in the path on the side of my neighbors house. It is laying facing NW. Called the NWS to make a damage report. I am in the area that the storm got tornado warned last night just to my South. 

Just got hit pretty hard in Chesapeake. Awesome shelf cloud associated with the line illuminated by lightning. Would have been amazing if it was daytime. Wind was howling and the lightning was prolific --I'm officially satisfied.

Yea around midnight it went from nothing to wind driven torrential downpour in seconds. I could only hear it from the outside but it sounded tough. Not any close strikes in my area but it was a light show for a while. Would have been fun during the day. I feel a little gyped. Oh well.

its all a conspiracy.  weather hates you

I am either the unluckiest person on earth, or that radar I use on Accuwx site is in bad need of calibration.  Good looking complex shown to come through and I got nothing but about 15 min of drizzle and a 1-minute down pour and few rumbles of thunder.  Looks like 0.11".  Pathetic.

Does your rain gauge work correctly?  http://www.ncdc.noaa.gov/cdo-web/datasets/GHCND/stations/GHCND:US1VAFD0001/detail

I did some searching for good videos showing rotating storms in that line, these are the best three.

#1 is simply beautiful video which fairly clearly shows rotation over Fairfax, I highly recommend watching all of it.

#2 also looks like it is rotating, this time over Alexandria. 

#3 has an interesting look at the start of the video, the rest is looking at what I believe is a wall cloud. 

No, I didn't think it was worth it. Aren't you only supposed to report severe sized hail? It wasn't close to that. 

We appreciate all reports of hail.  Helps us gauge storm strength.  Radar can only tell us so much.

Good to know. At our training they told us to only report severe hail.

If you are on CoCoRaHS report any hail, they want the reports regardless of size.

I think NWS wants them to help with radar definition also. 

Archived