• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Spring Banter - Pushing up Tulips

Baroclinic Zone

Nice high-res shot of the BTV county warning area and remaining snow cover... Tug Hill stands out, as does the whole Adirondack Park area which has a huge area of land above 1,500ft...and a lot of those Adirondack towns are at 1,800-2,200ft.  Sneaky good at preserving snow at those elevations.

Spine and various Green Mountain ridges stand out as well...and you can still see snow going down the western side of New Hampshire, into SW New Hampshire.

Basically I bet that snow cover follows like the 1,200-1,500ft+ topo lines.

11150285_853096804762222_609659399579671

• Replies 6.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That Berthoud pass is awesome. 12,000' hairpin turns..lol. Some cool images from Estes Park as well via webcam. Was able to really see the CO Rockies in the summer of '05 when my family went out there for a friend's wedding at Winter Park resort. Nothing like an open bar at 11,000ft to make you feel loose.

10 degrees and heavy snow now...lol.

No paste jobs up in the CO rockies this time of year. :lol:

2015041621_metars_den.gif

Holy jesus that was close! 

Oh man.  I think I get azzhole of the week award for that one.  That was just one helluva close call over the last hour.

I knew in the back of my mind that the NWS had placed our region in Red Flag status yesterday, and did check, ..but it was taken down.  That shouldn't matter, though, with an iota of intelligence that is... What a dumb f I am. It's not like it's rained since yesterday. 

I have several piles of brush left over from having feld a tree last Autumn. Most of the big logs have been cut up and taken away, but it's the miles and miles of brambled sticks and twigs and 2 inch diameter branches that are left over that are bugging me.

I have this metallic yard-burning implement with a doomed screen ...It's really for a lazy log on a romantic night type of deal, but I got the bright idea that ...heh, since that's definitely never going to happen for me, I may as well start burning the tinder dried fuels in small doses.  One such dose, ...yeah, I guess in retrospect was a bit too high.  The doomed screen thingy was setting on top, and I figured that as the sticks and twigs and such ashed out, the screen would settle... That was seemingly doing okay, but while my back was turned ... some small amount of ember leaped out and had ignited the lawn immediately adjacent to the yard burner.  It was  ring, spreading quickly outward.  "Oh sh!t!"

I grab this plastic bucket laying near by and run inside, and I'm at the kitchen sink... 30 seconds or a minute to fill the damn thing and I run out there, and it's too late! Fire had spread out across the lawn like tentacles.  I shist you nay! It was literally like a living breathing thing trying to run away.  The ankle high fire plasma looked like it was leaping.  

I can't imagine the embarrassment if I were to have had to call the fire department. I'm a goddamn Met... Oh man.  Problem is, ...and this is really embarrassingly stupid on my part, I did not have my garden hose hooked up before I impulsively decided to incinerate my property.  ...apparently.  The outside spigot ...I mean, you guys have to get in the moment here and appreciate just how big, and rapidly, this crisis is unfolding.

I hadn't yet turned on the outside water.  It's located in the crawl space/basement, which was sealed off by a couple hundred pounds of various unused household flotsam sitting on top of the access hatch.  All the while, the fire in the back yard... So I'm throwin' sh!t all over the house to clear the way and I get down there, and I turn the thing on. 

Then I run out to the shed, through the burning lawn, leaves and sticks around me, smoke and waves of heat ... the whole nine... find the hose, hook it up, and turn on the water... 

Man, it's amazing how fast I was able to put it all out... Less than a minute later and it was just steaming in large concentric rings, with darkened earth and char marks left in the wake.  If that crisis had failed to come under control for so much as another minute... guess who would have starred in the local Ayer Chronical this weekend?

I can't believe how many fundamental mistakes I made there. First, I probably would have been okay if I thought to wet the soil and fuels surrounding the immediate vicinity of burning, but didn't take that measure...during the driest time of the year. It never occurred to me; I think it is because I thought I could control thing with small burn amount.  I didn't perceive that the lawn its self, with almost no grass at all save some left over tan colored strudel from last year, would gobble up fire that fast, either.  

First hand, this is what it must be like in California.  

Guess I should just bite the bullet and have some removal service come and chip it up.

Holy jesus that was close! 

Oh man.  I think I get azzhole of the week award for that one.  That was just one helluva close call over the last hour.

I knew in the back of my mind that the NWS had placed our region in Red Flag status yesterday, and did check, ..but it was taken down.  That shouldn't matter, though, with an iota of intelligence that is... What a dumb f I am. It's not like it's rained since yesterday. 

I have several piles of brush left over from having feld a tree last Autumn. Most of the big logs have been cut up and taken away, but it's the miles and miles of brambled sticks and twigs and 2 inch diameter branches that are left over that are bugging me.

I have this metallic yard-burning implement with a doomed screen ...It's really for a lazy log on a romantic night type of deal, but I got the bright idea that ...heh, since that's definitely never going to happen for me, I may as well start burning the tinder dried fuels in small doses.  One such dose, ...yeah, I guess in retrospect was a bit too high.  The doomed screen thingy was setting on top, and I figured that as the sticks and twigs and such ashed out, the screen would settle... That was seemingly doing okay, but while my back was turned ... some small amount of ember leaped out and had ignited the lawn immediately adjacent to the yard burner.  It was  ring, spreading quickly outward.  "Oh sh!t!"

I grab this plastic bucket laying near by and run inside, and I'm at the kitchen sink... 30 seconds or a minute to fill the damn thing and I run out there, and it's too late! Fire had spread out across the lawn like tentacles.  I shist you nay! It was literally like a living breathing thing trying to run away.  The ankle high fire plasma looked like it was leaping.  

I can't imagine the embarrassment if I were to have had to call the fire department. I'm a goddamn Met... Oh man.  Problem is, ...and this is really embarrassingly stupid on my part, I did not have my garden hose hooked up before I impulsively decided to incinerate my property.  ...apparently.  The outside spigot ...I mean, you guys have to get in the moment here and appreciate just how big, and rapidly, this crisis is unfolding.

I hadn't yet turned on the outside water.  It's located in the crawl space/basement, which was sealed off by a couple hundred pounds of various unused household flotsam sitting on top of the access hatch.  All the while, the fire in the back yard... So I'm throwin' sh!t all over the house to clear the way and I get down there, and I turn the thing on. 

Then I run out to the shed, through the burning lawn, leaves and sticks around me, smoke and waves of heat ... the whole nine... find the hose, hook it up, and turn on the water... 

Man, it's amazing how fast I was able to put it all out... Less than a minute later and it was just steaming in large concentric rings, with darkened earth and char marks left in the wake.  If that crisis had failed to come under control for so much as another minute... guess who would have starred in the local Ayer Chronical this weekend?

I can't believe how many fundamental mistakes I made there. First, I probably would have been okay if I thought to wet the soil and fuels surrounding the immediate vicinity of burning, but didn't take that measure...during the driest time of the year. It never occurred to me; I think it is because I thought I could control thing with small burn amount.  I didn't perceive that the lawn its self, with almost no grass at all save some left over tan colored strudel from last year, would gobble up fire that fast, either.  

First hand, this is what it must be like in California.  

Guess I should just bite the bullet and have some removal service come and chip it up.

been there, done that. it is amazing how fast it can get away from you

Noticed some bright banding on the radar this morning, and saw that 4,000ft was at 35F...thinkin maybe something hitting the summits.  But alas, VT elevations are too low, and need that extra 2,000ft to get below freezing up at MWN.

MWN reporting Sleet/Freezing Rain this morning, so it must be warm above them at some point.  I figured it'd be straight snow up there.

I know my summer project--studying every Airport and Helipad code in the US so I know what dendrite is talking about....lol. 

i completely agree. 90% of the time i have no idea what airport he is talking about.

Tip, I still think I beat you with the setting the shrubbery in front of my house on fire trying to destroy a white faced hornets nest last summer. Flames up to our second story window.

Wasp and Hornet killer = mucho flamable

:poster_oops: pics?  

I had to do a double take this morning on my way into work.  While I was driving over 1,000' hill, I looked over at a forsythia bush and it was in full bloom.  Mind you that mine aren't even thinking about blooming and even in the valley you can still only see the buds.  To top it off, only yesterday morning I was still able to see a patch of snow in one protected area so I wasn't expecting to see that.

I think the valley is about a week away and I'm about 10-14 days away.  I guess it's just the warm hill top nights that brought it on.

I had to do a double take this morning on my way into work. While I was driving over 1,000' hill, I looked over at a forsythia bush and it was in full bloom. Mind you that mine aren't even thinking about blooming and even in the valley you can still only see the buds. To top it off, only yesterday morning I was still able to see a patch of snow in one protected area so I wasn't expecting to see that.

I think the valley is about a week away and I'm about 10-14 days away. I guess it's just the warm hill top nights that brought it on.

I noticed some having the yellow blooms starting as well here.....some dormant, some have yellow already.

I noticed some having the yellow blooms starting as well here.....some dormant, some have yellow already.

You're probably about a week away from full bloom then. 

I mentioned a couple weeks ago that they appear to bloom after about 21-28 days (sometimes less) of days averaging above freezing based on the 14 years of data that I have.  It just showed to me how much more 'milder' that hill top locations can be this time of year.  I mean, to average higher that the CT River Valley? 

Archived