joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Spring Banter - Pushing up Tulips

Baroclinic Zone

• Replies 6.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Jealous of the N/C Rockies in Colroado right now...storm is just getting underway. They could see 4 feet of snow in the next 2+ days.

Gotta love how it's like 33F in DEN but then once you get to like 12,000 feet due west, the temp is 12F, lol:

2015041616_metars_den.gif

That Berthoud pass is awesome. 12,000' hairpin turns..lol. Some cool images from Estes Park as well via webcam. Was able to really see the CO Rockies in the summer of '05 when my family went out there for a friend's wedding at Winter Park resort. Nothing like an open bar at 11,000ft to make you feel loose.

That Berthoud pass is awesome. 12,000' hairpin turns..lol. Some cool images from Estes Park as well via webcam. Was able to really see the CO Rockies in the summer of '05 when my family went out there for a friend's wedding at Winter Park resort. Nothing like an open bar at 11,000ft to make you feel loose.

always wondered why 1 beer at 11K felt like 5

Best time of the year for skiing there is around now...hands down. They get so much snow in April, and it's powder snow too...then the sun comes out and it's 55-60F with sunglasses and barbecues that would even make Powderfreak blush. But even they suffer from the same disinterest in spring that New England does...many resorts close down in mid-April...so you are often left with epic 10 foot bases on April 25th with lifts not running....but there's a few resorts that go into May and beyond.

They might get several more big snowstorms rolling through too after this one in the next 10-12 days if model guidance on the pattern is any bit accurate.

Best time of the year for skiing there is around now...hands down. They get so much snow in April, and it's powder snow too...then the sun comes out and it's 55-60F with sunglasses and barbecues that would even make Powderfreak blush. But even they suffer from the same disinterest in spring that New England does...many resorts close down in mid-April...so you are often left with epic 10 foot bases on April 25th with lifts not running....but there's a few resorts that go into May and beyond.

They might get several more big snowstorms rolling through too after this one in the next 10-12 days if model guidance on the pattern is any bit accurate.

My friend lives out there and he's a big skier/outdoor type guy. He loves April out there as well for the reasons you describe. I told him a few days ago the foothills and mtns are probably going to get a big snowstorm.

They actually have a ski train that leaves Denver and goes to Winter Park. Pretty cool if you don't want to drive there.

I went on the Copper Mountain website and was surprised how much they down scaled operations already.

I went on the Copper Mountain website and was surprised how much they down scaled operations already.

Yeah they are down to about 60% terrain now...even though they are buried with plenty more on the way, lol. They close on Sunday for the season I think. Vail and Aspen are down to like 30% or less, lol.

Really, you have to go to A-basin out there for big spring skiing, they'll try and stay open to 4th of July, ha. Breckenridge and Winter Park are pretty good too about keeping most of the stuff open...usually around 80%...until they close. But those guys close soon too. The front range is the spot for good spring skiing.

I thought the majority of CO resorts were forced to shut down due to their leases on park land.  Only a few own the land outright.  I vaguely recall something about some changes to that, but not sure.

Yeah that might be true.

I still think there are issues with interest in the spring though. The resorts that stay open aren't crowded in the spring...in addition to the many resorts that are currently open through mid/late-April are running on like 50% capicity or less (a couple exceptions), and they do this almost every year. You'd think they would still be cranking near full capacity if the demand in April was close to the demand in winter.

I mean, not that we should really complain...I've always loved the idea of late season skiing being a bit of a "secret". You can often count on great conditions but an empty mountain. It's great....in addition to the better chance of getitng those awesome sunny days with highs well above freezing.

Yeah they are down to about 60% terrain now...even though they are buried with plenty more on the way, lol. They close on Sunday for the season I think. Vail and Aspen are down to like 30% or less, lol.

Really, you have to go to A-basin out there for big spring skiing, they'll try and stay open to 4th of July, ha. Breckenridge and Winter Park are pretty good too about keeping most of the stuff open...usually around 80%...until they close. But those guys close soon too. The front range is the spot for good spring skiing.

Snowbird with 44 inches

IMG_20150416_141224.jpg

We are looking to recruit Cooperative Weather Observers who would be willing to take daily precipitation measurements, including snowfall.  This is a commitment that entails daily weather observing 365 days a year.  It is a tall task to commit to daily observations 365 days a year, but if you have a passion for weather, desire to be a citizen soldier of climate, and would be willing to volunteer we could use your skill set. We are looking to recruit precipitation only Coop Observers in the following areas:

1) Outer Cape Cod in the areas of Eastham, Wellfleet, Truro or Provincetown.

2) On the island of Nantucket

3) Coventry, Rhode Island

4) Far northwest Massachusetts in the Charlemont area.

We would provide you with the necessary equipment and training. For more information about the Cooperative Program check out this link HERE. Please contact our Cooperative Program Manager, Kim Buttrick, if you are interested

Why specifically Coventry? Pawtuxet river?

Its usually because they had a prior COOP station in that area at one point.  If they get a retiring observer, they will often look for another observer within a 5-mile radius or something like that.  I've seen BTV post similar things on social media for observers in specific towns or even neighborhoods due to a retiring observer.

They usually have very specific spots they are looking for because of prior weather records and trying to keep those general sites going.

Its usually because they had a prior COOP station in that area at one point.  If they get a retiring observer, they will often look for another observer within a 5-mile radius or something like that.  I've seen BTV post similar things on social media for observers in specific towns or even neighborhoods due to a retiring observer.

They usually have very specific spots they are looking for because of prior weather records and trying to keep those general sites going.

Oh interesting. I suppose that makes sense. 

I thought the majority of CO resorts were forced to shut down due to their leases on park land.  Only a few own the land outright.  I vaguely recall something about some changes to that, but not sure.

This is true, but its often not the reason for closing.  Falling business levels are the reason for the closings... but there are some terrain restrictions that come usually in May from the forest service.  Most resorts are closed well before their restrictions go in place.

Oh interesting. I suppose that makes sense. 

Yeah I don't know if that's whats going on in this situation, but I've seen BTV post maps with a 5-mile radius circled on it and say we are looking for people who live within this area, etc. 

I don't know if BOX had old COOPs near those areas before though... but that could explain it that they have some weather records for there and want to continue.  But seeing as its a precipitation only COOP they are looking for in those areas near the rivers, it could be a pure hydro thing, too.

Yeah I don't know if that's whats going on in this situation, but I've seen BTV post maps with a 5-mile radius circled on it and say we are looking for people who live within this area, etc. 

I don't know if BOX had old COOPs near those areas before though... but that could explain it that they have some weather records for there and want to continue.  But seeing as its a precipitation only COOP they are looking for in those areas near the rivers, it could be a pure hydro thing, too.

surprising because of the number of Cocorahs observers nearby some of those areas.

Archived