joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Spring Banter - Pushing up Tulips

Baroclinic Zone

• Replies 6.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Time for the biweekly hydrological survey of the snowpack, so today I took advantage of the nice weather to see what we've got left for snow.

1,500ft is still holding today at 18" of depth...and it varies from 0" to 30" depending on aspect (Swiss cheese look on south facing slopes with bare spots, while north facing in the trees is still very deep).

On the level though, there's 18" at 1,500ft...and it is interesting because when Will/ORH went to Bolton Valley last weekend, he noticed there was only patchy snow at that elevation on the west side of the Spine axis.  But on the east side here, there's certainly still a pack.

9.25" of water in that 18" so that snow is about as ripe as it gets with 50% water.  This will melt quickly I'd assume, and there's even water pooling in the bottom of your footprints when you post-hold through this stuff. 

April_14_1550ft_4_zps6bloavv8.jpg

The snow board isn't getting much use these days...

April_14_1550ft_3_zps5bsh5ylf.jpg

And here's looking up the creek that flows into this area...this is some ripe snow.  The creek will become a raging waterway pretty soon.

April_14_1550ft_1_zpsfnxf35zj.jpg

Meanwhile, at 3,000ft there's still 58" (82" yesterday at the 3,800ft co-op stake) as of this afternoon...

The site.

April_14_3000ft_2_zpsbxyfgbu5.jpg

April_14_3000ft_4_zpstmfaoevv.jpg

20" of water in that 58" of snow...

April_14_3000ft_3_zpsmyesuvpy.jpg

great stuff right there, looks like a nice slow melt with the way above temps going bye bye for a while.

I'll never be on a low dew summer. That sucks. Dry hot days and boring with chilly nights. No thanks

You mention boring... how are low dews "boring"...or how are any dews something other than "boring"?

Also, you know full well you don't radiate for crap, so I don't know why you'd be concerned with chilly nights ;) 

You mention boring... how are low dews "boring"...or how are any dews something other than "boring"?

Also, you know full well you don't radiate for crap, so I don't know why you'd be concerned with chilly nights ;)

I think he means high dews lead to Tstorms.We dew the dew of  last summer 2

great stuff right there, looks like a nice slow melt with the way above temps going bye bye for a while.

Yeah it has been really good this season for slow, contained melt.  The river coming through town and behind my place is high, but nothing threatening by any means.  Could still come up 5 feet and have no issues.

What's amazing to me this spring, is that even with the massive snowpack in place across New England at the end of March (even right down to the south shore as you know Ginxy), and there has been pretty much no flooding at all.  I mean, New England was primed for what could've been catastrophic flooding if the right situation occurred (like a 2-inch rain event in late March)...but this has been a very contained melt all around.

I think he means high dews lead to Tstorms.We dew the dew of  last summer 2

Maybe, I think he's just up to his usual spin though.  COC weather is "boring" while hot and humid is "exciting."

I've been wanting warmer weather and spring nape tanning, but as soon as he starts going warm and above normal all the time, it makes me want to go back to winter, lol.

Yeah it has been really good this season for slow, contained melt.  The river coming through town and behind my place is high, but nothing threatening by any means. 

What's amazing to me this spring, is that even with the massive snowpack in place across New England at the end of March (even right down to the south shore as you know Ginxy), and there has been pretty much no flooding at all.  I mean, New England was primed for what could've been catastrophic flooding if the right situation occurred (like a 2-inch rain event in late March)...but this has been a very contained melt all around.

the highest my rivers were was when i came back from Maine , steadily dropped since with a minor rise from the 1 inch of rain but other than that pretty normal level. Ground is still wet though, mud is gone but residual wetness still around. the woods are really wet and there is still a pocket or two of snow in the woods, very minor but still there. 

Maybe, I think he's just up to his usual spin though.  COC weather is "boring" while hot and humid is "exciting."

I've been wanting warmer weather and spring nape tanning, but as soon as he starts going warm and above normal all the time, it makes me want to go back to winter, lol.

watch how this summer goes, last year and the last half of 2013 with consistently low dews were perfect for all to enjoy the outdoors to the max.

Woods are very dry around here. Doing lots of yard work the last few days and it's amazing how quickly everything dried out..brush fires around yesterday attest to the dryness

yea nice fire in Ellington,attesting to the winter , wet east dry west, plus we had a good rainstorm out here last week.

Wow.  That's horrible.  

My "health plan" consists of running a few miles 2-3x per week; walking when I can; avoid overeating; and the occasional pushup or two.  Cutting out soda entirely (and sugary drinks generally) when I turned 19 was the best thing I did.  Not being a big drinker helps too.  I'm a social drinker and a beer or two at that most times.

i haven't had a drink in a few days and i definitely noticed a difference at the gym today. sigh

BTV has Fire Watch up for the Champlain Valley where the snow melted earliest and is now driest. 

.FIRE WEATHER...
AS OF 330 PM EDT TUESDAY...VERY LOW MINIMUM RH VALUES (15-20
PERCENT) AND MODERATE NORTH WINDS (15-20 MPH...GUSTS 25 MPH) ARE
EXPECTED DURING THE AFTERNOON HRS WEDNESDAY...DOWNSTREAM OF HIGH
PRESSURE BUILDING EAST FROM THE GREAT LAKES. COORDINATION WITH
STATE OFFICIALS: FINE DEAD FUELS ARE REPORTED AS SUFFICIENTLY DRY
NOW ACROSS WRN VERMONT TO CAUSE FIRE WEATHER CONCERNS
...WHILE
STILL TOO WET ACROSS CENTRAL/ERN VT AND INTO THE NRN ADIRONDACKS.
HIGHEST WINDS AND DRIEST FUELS JUXTAPOSE 11AM THRU 6PM WEDNESDAY
ACROSS WRN VT UNDER EXPECTED FULL SUNSHINE AND HIGH TEMPS IN THE
UPR 50S TO LOWER 60S. THUS...FIRE WEATHER WATCH HAS BEEN ISSUED
FOR THE VT SIDE OF THE CHAMPLAIN VALLEY
SWD INTO WRN RUTLAND
COUNTY. EXCELLENT OVERNIGHT RH RECOVERY IS EXPECTED WEDNESDAY
NIGHT...ALONG WITH WINDS RAPIDLY SUBSIDING DURING THE EVENING
HOURS...ENDING ANY SIGNIFICANT FIRE WX THREAT.

Even from here it was pretty cool to see well to the NW.

It was strange. We walked out of MB and Lisa goes "look at the pretty sunset". And I looked in puzzlement and said "that's the east."

Almost the entire sky was lit up in color. On the way home it finally got very vibrant to the west. Lisa ran out and took some pics from the Winni River bridge while I watched 5 deer feeding on grass in the adjacent field.

Nice night.

Archived