• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Spring Banter - Pushing up Tulips

Baroclinic Zone

I use benadryl and melatonin...I used to sleep just fine probably the first half of my life...now I'm a disaster, you know its bad when you do the head Bob during your morning commute...i now take 2 benadryl and 20mg melatonin...meh...

halfway point puts you at LSC. Too much partying in Poland/Rogers? ;)

• Replies 6.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is a pretty cool satellite view... we were having a beauty of a day but just became mostly cloudy as that upper vort hits the mountains, but you have a good view of the snow cover left.

You can see Mitch's 2kft plateau down in SVT...then north of there in VT you can see the snow follow the elevated spines and ridges like a topo-map.  You can see it in SW NH moving north, too.  "Best" white though is Northeast Kindgom of VT over through N.NH and northwestern Maine.

Hey Brian, is this all related to your back pain issues?

No. The back is ironically doing better. I'm not sure if it's side effects from the meds or if they did something to hormonally screw me up. Most of my bloodwork came back normal although my WBC and platelets are a little low. I had a fun 24hr urine test yesterday, but I won't get those results back for up to a week. The last 2 weeks have basically been insomnia, anxiety 24/7, higher heart rate than normal (80bpm vs 60bpm), bad head pressure, some eye pain, and big time weight loss. I've lost about 10-15lbs in 2 weeks. I've been doing my best to pig out on healthy food too. Lots of meat and sweet potatoes. This hit me like a ton of bricks so I'm just doing my best to battle through. Every few days seems to be a little better.

No. The back is ironically doing better. I'm not sure if it's side effects from the meds or if they did something to hormonally screw me up. Most of my bloodwork came back normal although my WBC and platelets are a little low. I had a fun 24hr urine test yesterday, but I won't get those results back for up to a week. The last 2 weeks have basically been insomnia, anxiety 24/7, higher heart rate than normal (80bpm vs 60bpm), bad head pressure, some eye pain, and big time weight loss. I've lost about 10-15lbs in 2 weeks. I've been doing my best to pig out on healthy food too. Lots of meat and sweet potatoes. This hit me like a ton of bricks so I'm just doing my best to battle through. Every few days seems to be a little better.

Jesus, sorry that you feel this way. It could be the meds. Might take some time to level out and come back to normal perhaps. 

Sorry to hear that man.

Anxiety blows big time, awful.

Steroids really turbocharged my resting pulse too... as high as 96 just laying flat in bed.  It was a little scary but I lost about a pound per day over the 7 day course and that weight never came back.  

I almost want to ask for more.  

Steroids really turbocharged my resting pulse too... as high as 96 just laying flat in bed.  It was a little scary but I lost about a pound per day over the 7 day course and that weight never came back.  

i want steroids!!!

halfway point puts you at LSC. Too much partying in Poland/Rogers? ;)

i'd like to blame being stationed in okinawa for a year...i think my circadian rhythms still match up with that time zone...i don't know why they didn't reset since once i came back...

i was reading that in a normal person, cortisol levels peak between 8-9am, meaning we are the most alert, awake, and energized...and then cortisols levels naturally drop throughout the day and once they drop to a certain level we get sleepy and equate that with wanting to go to bed...

for me, i noticed that i am groggy and have brain fog all day, but i get a second wind around 8pm and night...if i don't drug myself i usually won't be able to fall naturally asleep until after 5am...supposedly, being out in the sun for a certain amount every day will eventually reset your circadian rhythm...well, it never worked for me, since i have always had outside jobs, i had no problem getting enough sunlight...

oh well, guess i'll just have to stick with drugging myself

Right, and hypertrophic cardiomyopathy causes everything from life threatening  arrhythmias to sudden death syndrome, too

All warm blooded animals are allotted a certain number of heart beats.. Rapid pulse rate organisms don't live long in nature -- drastically accelerating one's heart beat is not the way to achieve weight loss without incurring dangerous long term health consequences... I hope by steroids you don't mean what it sounds like?  

you shouldn't f around with that stuff if so.  My bro in law lost his 30-year old brother (just 30!!) due to damages incurred from 'roids he took while weight training some 10 years prior.   He was a scrawny kid, about 5'9" and 140 lbs soaking wet when he was 17... I didn't happen to see him for three or so years, and when I finally did ...he was a 20 -year old muscle toting behemoth.  I mean, you had to step around the guy in crowds.

Little did I/we know his mother would find him on the bathroom floor in the macabre throws of cardiac arrest just 9 years later! Those last five years of his life, all that giantism in muscularity that he garnered through roid sessions and weight training were gone too. Only, he didn't return to that svelte body type when he stopped the steroids... He turned into winded, barrel shaped couch potato on state sponsored disability because his back and other joints occasionally drove him to utter inactivity. Caught up in that life style, he didn't finish college either, so he had THAT going for him when his body inevitably collapsed, too.   

Right, and hypertrophic cardiomyopathy causes everything from life threatening  arrhythmias to sudden death syndrome, too

All warm blooded animals are allotted a certain number of heart beats.. Rapid pulse rate organisms don't live long in nature -- drastically accelerating one's heart beat is not the way to achieve weight loss without incurring dangerous long term health consequences... I hope by steroids you don't mean what it sounds like?  

you shouldn't f around with that stuff if so.  My bro in law lost his 30-year old brother (just 30!!) due to damages incurred from 'roids he took while weight training some 10 years prior.   He was a scrawny kid, about 5'9" and 140 lbs soaking wet when he was 17... I didn't happen to see him for three or so years, and when I finally did ...he was a 20 -year old muscle toting behemoth.  I mean, you had to step around the guy in crowds.

Little did I/we know his mother would find him on the bathroom floor in the macabre throws of cardiac arrest just 9 years later! Those last five years of his life, all that giantism in muscularity that he garnered through roid sessions and weight training were gone too. Only, he didn't return to that svelte body type when he stopped the steroids... He turned into winded, barrel shaped couch potato on state sponsored disability because his back and other joints occasionally drove him to utter inactivity. Caught up in that life style, he didn't finish college either, so he had THAT going for him when his body inevitably collapsed, too.   

Wow.  That's horrible.  

My "health plan" consists of running a few miles 2-3x per week; walking when I can; avoid overeating; and the occasional pushup or two.  Cutting out soda entirely (and sugary drinks generally) when I turned 19 was the best thing I did.  Not being a big drinker helps too.  I'm a social drinker and a beer or two at that most times.

I was given 7 days of prednisone to reduce inflammation following back surgery.

I was given 7 days of prednisone to reduce inflammation following back surgery.

interesting how people react differently, i was put on a 10 day cycle of prednisone because of a bad run-in with poison ivy, and then again when i was stung by a bee...and i didn't have any major side effects...i wish i would have dropped some weight

+5F to about +8F in spots on the highs tomorrow. NBD but certainly nice. Looks like low 60s for those with elevation.

Red flag warning is up for here. Do the low dews and watch for shocks at the gas station.

As dry as the winter on qpf  and water tables low and all the dry fuels..looks like may be entering back into D1 drought status over the next few weeks with no appreciable rain in sight. There were brush fires scattered around Ct yesterday. Getting dangerous quickly

+5F to about +8F in spots on the highs tomorrow. NBD but certainly nice. Looks like low 60s for those with elevation.

Red flag warning is up for here. Do the low dews and watch for shocks at the gas station.

COC day...low dews rock.

As dry as the winter on qpf  and water tables low and all the dry fuels..looks like may be entering back into D1 drought status over the next few weeks with no appreciable rain in sight. There were brush fires scattered around Ct yesterday. Getting dangerous quickly

Could this be the summer you jump on the low dew/heat/drought bandwagon? Hide yo kids, hide yo plants, hide yo wife.

Time for the biweekly hydrological survey of the snowpack, so today I took advantage of the nice weather to see what we've got left for snow.

1,500ft is still holding today at 18" of depth...and it varies from 0" to 30" depending on aspect (Swiss cheese look on south facing slopes with bare spots, while north facing in the trees is still very deep).

On the level though, there's 18" at 1,500ft...and it is interesting because when Will/ORH went to Bolton Valley last weekend, he noticed there was only patchy snow at that elevation on the west side of the Spine axis.  But on the east side here, there's certainly still a pack.

9.25" of water in that 18" so that snow is about as ripe as it gets with 50% water.  This will melt quickly I'd assume, and there's even water pooling in the bottom of your footprints when you post-hold through this stuff. 

April_14_1550ft_4_zps6bloavv8.jpg

The snow board isn't getting much use these days...

April_14_1550ft_3_zps5bsh5ylf.jpg

And here's looking up the creek that flows into this area...this is some ripe snow.  The creek will become a raging waterway pretty soon.

April_14_1550ft_1_zpsfnxf35zj.jpg

Meanwhile, at 3,000ft there's still 58" (82" yesterday at the 3,800ft co-op stake) as of this afternoon...

The site.

April_14_3000ft_2_zpsbxyfgbu5.jpg

That's a 5-foot Adirondack Snow Sampler tube...

April_14_3000ft_4_zpstmfaoevv.jpg

20" of water in that 58" of snow...

April_14_3000ft_3_zpsmyesuvpy.jpg

Archived