joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
March Threats/Snow Storms Pt. II

mitchnick

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ironically my concern isn't the surface with this setup, It's a sneaky warm layer above 850. 

lol I dont like the 500 mb look, 850, or the surface. Weak sauce. If anything there might be a better shot at something a couple days later. 18z GFS is now hinting at it.

Stepping away from model raw output and thinking about the general idea doesn't paint a rosey picture. I agree with Cape. Were getting into difficult climo time. The airmass overhead leading in is not conducive. Relying on a pressing airmass to clash with precip is a flag. It's marginal at best even if it presses enough. It's just a typical Canadian hp and not arctic.

Precip looks light and surface even after dark is pretty weak. To get sticking snow it has to either puke on us during daylight or be below freezing after dark. Neither of which appear to be the case. The gfs does show some sub freezing 2m temps but that can change really easy. We've gotten really lucky a bunch this year and last. If this thing does drop more than 1" near the cities then there is clearly a golden horseshoe working magic that defies logic.

Euro ens look pretty good down the line with the trough axis. Hopefully the 17th-23rd tosses us a bone.

GFS and NAM can't seem to agree on rain for tomorrow. Surprise. NAM is mostly showery/dry. GFS gets a larger chunk of the area in the .5-1" range. I suppose its best to take a blend of the two. Last nights euro really didn't like the chances of snow outside the mountains and NNE. And it stayed mild locally. Highs in the 50s 8 of the next 10 days at DCA without a single < 32 low?? If that happens we're going to have trees budding everywhere. Hopefully pollen isn't too bad this spring. 

GFS and NAM can't seem to agree on rain for tomorrow. Surprise. NAM is mostly showery/dry. GFS gets a larger chunk of the area in the .5-1" range. I suppose its best to take a blend of the two. Last nights euro really didn't like the chances of snow outside the mountains and NNE. And it stayed mild locally. Highs in the 50s 8 of the next 10 days at DCA without a single < 32 low?? If that happens we're going to have trees budding everywhere. Hopefully pollen isn't too bad this spring. 

I wonder if an early start is not better for allergy sufferers (like myself).  A late start may just compress the season and make it more intense.  I do know that it is all about heat and moisture for me.  My misery is proportional to temperature.  The hotter it gets the worse my allergies.  60F from now until June (preferably through Sept  :) ) with ample rain would make me quite happy.

If the gfs from 6z I looked at is correct, we are going to have a miserable period from this weekend into at least early next week.  Pretty much the worse case scenario........cold and damp.

I want a blizzard or a sunny torch.

yeah, after this weekend, I almost forgot about winter.....until I realized there was still a heck of a lot of snow hanging around

it's hard to believe the I95 corridor has a legit shot at much before we get the advertised switch, and even then we'll need a whole lot of help/luck it seems

00z CMC ensembles and GEFS have nearly given up on the idea of snow for DC this Friday, but they continue to show chances near the end of the month.

06z GFS op run makes the most of the pattern near the end of the month, with a coastal storm just off Cape May dropping snow on us. I'm not sure if that's what Highzenberg is getting at -- it would happen about four days after the images he's been posting, when the wave in the southwest makes it across the country.

Archived