joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
March Threats/Snow Storms Pt. II

mitchnick

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well since it's so quiet I guess I'll just drop this here, from the LC model: 5232abbec219b00ed9010e4af9ddca1c.jpg

Classic equatorial breach enhanced low track from Port Hueneme, CA to Shamrock, TX to Travelers Rest, SC. The swing toward Big Tusket Island after passing the Boston smasher sweetspot is something else. TROPICAL + ARCTIC man. 

Also, that could be severe for me in New Orleans so let's do this.

Day 10 on last night's Euro sorta looks like the kind of system we see in late MAR with a u/l Low over SW VA/NW NC and the mts. getting nailed with 850 temps fine but our surface temps a hair too warm. It's in fantasy range but interesting nonetheless because it's pretty classic for late season. It'll likely be gone by 12Z but it's there for a few more hours. lol

ecmwf_z500a_sd_us_11.png

ecmwf_T850_us_11.png

Day 10 on last night's Euro sorta looks like the kind of system we see in late MAR with a u/l Low over SW VA/NW NC and the mts. getting nailed with 850 temps fine but our surface temps a hair too warm. It's in fantasy range but interesting nonetheless because it's pretty classic for late season. It'll likely be gone by 12Z but it's there for a few more hours. lol

Looks like a classic spring ULL, NC high country heavy snow event. Boone nailed.  40s and rain elsewhere.

It could happen (like the NAM) but check out how it comes together at 500mb--seemingly impossible to figure out at this range. If it's right the Euro deserves a medal for valor. 

The models have been showing several different looks for the period, but with no real consistency to give confidence there will be a storm that could "potentially" bring us (DCA/BWI area) snow, let alone concrete signal for a snow storm. If the Euro can hold this look for several days and at least one other credible model support it, then I could see giving JI the go-ahead to start a threat thread (say that 5x times fast out loud and see if it doesn't generate a 911 call).

what do you mean by like the nam

Just in general.. the NAM could be right but it usually isn't. The storm develops from a lobe of a vort in central canada merging with another coming in off the Pacific between next Wed and Sat or so then dives to our south. Just seems a long shot for that solution at the moment. 

Just in general.. the NAM could be right but it usually isn't. The storm develops from a lobe of a vort in central canada merging with another coming in off the Pacific between next Wed and Sat or so then dives to our south. Just seems a long shot for that solution at the moment. 

I'm paying almost no attention to ops. We need air cold enough to either be on the doorstep or overhead before any op run is meaningful (and I'm sure that's how you feel all the time. lol). Ensembles are in total spray mode beyond d6

Euro ens is starting to pick up on the possibility in d7-10 range. Looks better beyond but we're really fighting an uphill climo battle by then. 

Latest weeklies still look pretty annoying weeks 3-4. 

I'm paying almost no attention to ops. We need air cold enough to either be on the doorstep or overhead before any op run is meaningful (and I'm sure that's how you feel all the time. lol). Ensembles are in total spray mode beyond d6

Euro ens is starting to pick up on the possibility in d7-10 range. Looks better beyond but we're really fighting an uphill climo battle by then. 

idk if it's just me, but after this winter, upper 40's and low 50's seem warm to me

Definitely a chance somewhere out there it seems. I think elevation n/w probably is about a flip of the coin for more "decent" (~2"+).. around me maybe more like 25%. Once we blow past Mar 20-25 it's going to take a lot of luck to get more than a hefty dusting around here probably. Even with the colder looks it still seems we get to ~50+ many days which isn't too terrible even if a bit cool.

The latest run of the 10 day Canadian temp ensembles have just reversed course (this is from last night's 0Z run-this ensemble product is only run during the 0Z cycle as far as I know). Without this continuing to trend colder, it'll be hard, at least for me, to get seriously excited about the prospects of snow in the low lands. Weenie dreaming is, of course, another matter.

http://weather.gc.ca/ensemble/tenday_e.html

The latest run of the 10 day Canadian temp ensembles have just reversed course (this is from last night's 0Z run-this ensemble product is only run during the 0Z cycle as far as I know).

Is that different from the 2m temp anomalies shown on tropicaltidbits?  Days 5-12 still look pretty cold.

http://www.tropicaltidbits.com/analysis/models/?model=gem-ens&region=us&pkg=T2ma&runtime=2015031300&fh=252&xpos=0&ypos=222

I don't know if anyone has noticed, but the Canadian ensemble has been on a tear recently. 

http://www.emc.ncep.noaa.gov/gmb/STATS_vsdb/ensm/

G9cdtW8.png

It has been posting higher verification scores than the GEFS most of the winter, but recently its 10-day H500 anomaly correlation score has passed the NAEFS.

It just needs to trend north a bit.....double digit snow for Richmond LOL

doubtful with those surface temps. edit: hi res looks a little colder than normal rez.. still a wet snow.

interesting nonetheless.. not quite the same evolution as 0z but shows the pattern wants to try at least. 

doubtful with those surface temps. edit: hi res looks a little colder than normal rez.. still a wet snow.

interesting nonetheless.. not quite the same evolution as 0z but shows the pattern wants to try at least. 

The shortwave is forced to dig underneath that big ULL in Canada....If it digs farther and closes off, we'd be talking something historic. lmao

Archived