Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
March Threats/Snow Storms Pt. II

mitchnick

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Kids are asking me for one more snow day on Friday.  Maybe...just maybe...

if it happens, it's a coup by the Canadian since it's been showing it for days now

I think it was cae that posted the Canadian was doing best of all the models, so that would make sense

but, lots can go wrong between then and now any time of year but even more so the end of March, so we'll see how the models trend today

I would note that the Euro has the heaviest precip falling in SW VA while the Canadian has it going to our north, but on both models have DCA/BWI wityh similar totals

Need more precip to start. Looks look a low to no road impact type thing for now.

I honestly would be fine with grass only (as long as I can call it measurable).  Kids will hate that, but too bad.  They already used 8 snow days (+3 for HoCo).  Will keep an eye on today's runs for sure.

I honestly would be fine with grass only (as long as I can call it measurable).  Kids will hate that, but too bad.  They already used 8 snow days (+3 for HoCo).  Will keep an eye on today's runs for sure.

Euro/GFS 'agreement' (for something) is good enough for me at this range.. though it's a bit sketch still. Hopefully just grass accum. If you all want a bigger storm I'd be happy missing it on the weekend/early week. :P

-12 850s at 384. :axe:

I think it was cae that posted the Canadian was doing best of all the models, so that would make sense

The Canadian ensemble has been doing very well recently, especially with long-term H500 maps.  There are no verification scores available for the EPS, but I would guess that the EPS is better.

The Canadian op has not been the best of all models -- that's still the Euro by a good margin.  Based on verification scores, UKMET is still #2.  Recently the GGEM has passed the GFS, but it still trails the UKMET and Euro.

For anyone who is interested, here's how the models have done for sea-level pressure anomalies in the northern hemisphere over the last month.

WjHbFln.png

The northern hemisphere scores don't necessarily reflect what's going on locally, but I've found there's a pretty good correlation.  Earlier this winter, when the GGEM was struggling, it was also posting the lowest verification scores of the top 4 global models.

Before we give the GGEM too much props the good run was focused on a weekend storm:

jOxSQz7.png

yeah, and then it switched its tune to a system to our west on its 12Z Saturday run with a coastal redevelopement, and has held with that scenario for the most part, though with a change to rain (more rain last night, but still 2-3" before a change)

the 0Z Euro and 6Z GFS were better (to these weenie eyes) because they had little, if any, change to rain

gem_mslp_pcpn_frzn_eus_24.png

GFS looks decent.. sfc is iffy but some accum NW at least. Focus of precip after sunrise. 

High is running out ahead a bit more than 6z though plus a low NW... perilous maybe. 

our best sounding is again at 2pm....lol...would be cool if we are getting raked in the afternoon...though probably like 3/25 last year....which kind of sucked down here

Yeah problem is it's basically done by then. I'd hope the Euro is right with timing I think. High shifted east a decent bit too out ahead.. can't have too many things off this time of year and still score. 

Archived