joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
March Threats/Snow Storms Pt. II

mitchnick

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If you were writing a book on blocking, it seems like that could make the front cover?

It's pretty classic but the southern stream doesn't look strong on the means. Pretty sure there will be some sort of storm during the period of the 18th-23rd. It's going to take more than a good block to get snow. 

I did find a fairly close match to the pattern. First half of March 2005 looked similar. No snow that month though. 

post-2035-0-83549800-1426104819_thumb.jp

It's pretty classic but the southern stream doesn't look strong on the means. Pretty sure there will be some sort of storm during the period of the 18th-23rd. It's going to take more than a good block to get snow. 

I did find a fairly close match to the pattern. First half of March 2005 looked similar. No snow that month though

attachicon.gifmar05.JPG

Really?  This event must have missed you guys to the south, we know that ain't happening this winter.

http://www4.ncsu.edu/~nwsfo/storage/cases/maps/accum.20050317.gif

I'm not sure what the dates were but IAD got 1.2 and BWI got .4 in Mar of 05. Could be the same event.  

Neither---For IAD, the snow come from a dynamic cold front on 3/8 with a squall line during the warm part and a rapid flip to snow. I think DCA picked up 0.8" in that event too, no?

BWI's 0.4" was from 3/1. Rockville had accumulations from both events--roughly 2.5" total.  

I remember some long-time posters were giddy about the modeled March '05 pattern, even comparing it to 1/66. 

I did find a fairly close match to the pattern. First half of March 2005 looked similar. No snow that month though. 

As Gymengineer mentioned the squall line on 3/8 was pretty sweet. I threw my back out and was at home, and for about 30 minutes or so, it was maybe 150 yards viz.  Picked up an inch.

Neither---For IAD, the snow come from a dynamic cold front on 3/8 with a squall line during the warm part and a rapid flip to snow. I think DCA picked up 0.8" in that event too, no?

BWI's 0.4" was from 3/1. Rockville had accumulations from both events--roughly 2.5" total.

I remember some long-time posters were giddy about the modeled March '05 pattern, even comparing it to 1/66.

That was a wicked storm in swva. Frequent thunder, lightning, heavy snow, and about 6" of concrete. 75 degrees about 3 days later

LR hard to say much with certainty but nao still looks transient and even cold might be. Euro had a bit of a hint at the d10 sys that the gfs seemed to drop. I wouldn't be that surprised if DC gets no more measurable this season.. Tho that's just a guess and of course climo is on my side.

Really?  This event must have missed you guys to the south, we know that ain't happening this winter.

http://www4.ncsu.edu/~nwsfo/storage/cases/maps/accum.20050317.gif

I'm not sure what the dates were but IAD got 1.2 and BWI got .4 in Mar of 05. Could be the same event.  

That was a wicked storm in swva. Frequent thunder, lightning, heavy snow, and about 6" of concrete. 75 degrees about 3 days later

All I have for March 2005 is 2.0 on 3/1-3/2, 1.5 on 3/12 and a 0.3 on 3/14.? Nothing really epic, but not a zero either.

The event just kept getting more and more delayed and the high weakens. Timing is not great either.

Yeah that's true, though the high location always seemed a bit questionable. Euro was never a huge fan of the idea and pushed it east.. but the precip has slowed down a good bit over time.  This week has also been a bit warmer than expected overall. 

Yeah that's true, though the high location always seemed a bit questionable. Euro was never a huge fan of the idea and pushed it east.. but the precip has slowed down a good bit over time.  This week has also been a bit warmer than expected overall. 

March sun = furnace

Archived