joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Feb 25-26 Discussion/pbp

Wow

• Replies 3.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

One more jump like this one and euro wouldn't be too far off from the wetter models.

Keep expecting the SREF to back off the QPF but it's actually going up and a tick colder for our area.  Latest SREG has 1.25" for all of Wake.  The previous runs were right around an 1".

Here you go...

Edit:  EuroWx has GSO with 11:1 to ratios, RDU with 10:1.

I'm having trouble figuring out how to post the maps, but it looks like the euro precip totals moved about 50 miles or so northwest when comparing this to the same map from 12z. One more shift like that and it's totals would be similar to the wetter models for at least the portion of the state shown.

I'm having trouble figuring out how to post the maps, but it looks like the euro precip totals moved about 50 miles or so northwest when comparing this to the same map from 12z. One more shift like that and it's totals would be similar to the wetter models for at least the portion of the state shown.

That's about right, it's ticked NW about 25-50 miles the past 2-3 runs.

Someone on another forum mentioned the upper level low went 100 miles south of forecast...haven't checked to see how accurate this claim is, but if its true, that's pretty significant.

LP looks like it may be a hair or 2 south, but it should track ENE thru south GA..but we'll see.  Would certainly give snow lovers some hope if it tracks further south than modeled.

Lord have mercy at the latest HRR... It's an absolute jackpot cream job for Northern GA and Upstate SC...

That's a ridiculous look. If we don't have any temp issues north of Atlanta, that looks like record snow totals with that look. Notice the darker reds......that looks like serious convective rates....could see some thunder snow under those returns if they were to indeed verify.

- Buck

I am a little worried that the HRR does not show a changeover in the upstate until between 8 and 9pm.  Hopefully there is not a thicker boundary layer than what other modeling has shown.  The NAM show's only a near surface boundary layer that quickly gets scoured when precip picks up.

I think this is a HRR warm bias at play, as it also has some of the southern escarpment and a large part of Central NC getting above 50 degree's today, but it's something to keep an eye on.

I am a little worried that the HRR does not show a changeover in the upstate until between 8 and 9pm.  Hopefully there is not a thicker boundary layer than what other modeling has shown.  The NAM show's only a near surface boundary layer that quickly gets scoured when precip picks up.

I think this is a HRR warm bias at play, as it also has some of the southern escarpment and a large part of Central NC getting above 50 degree's today, but it's something to keep an eye on.

Don't worry too much about the temp profile on the HRRR that far out.  You should be good.

yeah i wouldn't be using it as any basis for temps. it has a terrible warm bias. Yesterday it showed temps getting to 45 when they never got above 33. It was similarly off during the ice storm.

I am a little worried that the HRR does not show a changeover in the upstate until between 8 and 9pm. Hopefully there is not a thicker boundary layer than what other modeling has shown. The NAM show's only a near surface boundary layer that quickly gets scoured when precip picks up.

I would think the dynamic cooling of this event will be quick and aggressive to change over sooner than that. Much heavier precip should squash that warm layer....I hope!

That's a ridiculous look. If we don't have any temp issues north of Atlanta, that looks like record snow totals with that look. Notice the darker reds......that looks like serious convective rates....could see some thunder snow under those returns if they were to indeed verify.

- Buck

Some people north of Atlanta are gonna get a solid 6"+ with close to an inch liquid equivalent. My bet's on HW 369 in Forsyth/Cherokee seeing those higher amounts, with the more immediate metro seeing somewhat less, but at the very least most of the northern metro should see some decent rates.

Before everyone gets too giddy, I have noticed the HRRR has a tendency to overdo snow qpfs. Also, DFW and NE Texas have had mostly a sleet storm, was supposed to be mostly snow. Also, the 12z WSI RPM is really far north with the snow. Lets see what the NAM and other 12Z models do before declaring this a big hit.

Love the bold and underlined part. This should also help upstream.

Birmingham 

MESOSCALE DISCUSSION...CORRECTED TIME STAMP...

LAST POINT...THE PRECIPITATION IS EXTREMELY HEAVY...CONVECTIVE IN
SOME CASES...SO THE DYNAMICAL PROCESSES WILL BE AMPED SIGNIFICANTLY
COMPARED TO OUR TYPICAL WINTER EVENTS.  KEEP THIS IN MIND...THAT
COOLING THE COLUMN WILL OCCUR QUICKLY AND IT WILL LIKELY MODIFY ANY
FORECAST SOUNDINGS PROJECTED.  USING FORECAST SOUNDINGS WILL BE A
VERY DANGEROUS PROPOSITION FROM HERE FORWARD.

Archived