Toothache
Feb 25-26 Discussion/pbp

Wow

• Replies 3.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

GSP's Latest Thoughts:

AS OF 0945 AM...

OTHERWISE IT IS ALSO NOTEWORTHY THAT MODEL FORECAST SOUNDINGS SHOW CLASSIC CROSS  

HAIR SIGNATURES AT PLACES LIKE GSP AND CLT WHICH INDICATE VERY  

EFFICIENT SNOWFALL RATES WITH THE POTENTIAL FOR SOME CONVECTIVE  

COMPONENTS TO LOCALLY ENHANCE SNOWFALL TOTALS. LOOKS LIKE A WINDOW  

OF ABOUT 6 HOURS OF MODERATE TO HEAVY SNOW WITH 1-2 INCHES PER  

HOUR...ESPECIALLY WHERE BANDING OCCURS. 

Last 2 NAM runs have it for CLT (I can't see GSP).  Here's the 12z NAM

omeg_12z.png

I think the short range models (RAP) are showing a bit of a north movement and stronger low.  Therefore, mixing or liquid may become a factor in the southern piedmont, over to Sanford, Pittsboro, and even southern wake county.  Just my two cents.  If the low keeps coming in stronger and closer to the coast, what's good for some will be bad for others.

TW

Others have already stated and shown why mixing would be a minimum and should be to the south of Wake County, including mets like Allan Huffman. It may mix as some sleet, but it would be near the end of the precip and have minimal impact.

You do realize that what others have said (said: past tense) is based on data that they observed (observed: past tense). New data is coming (present) in that suggests (present) forecasts (future) may need (future) adjustments.

There continues to be a disconnect in the models on actual snow on ground vs snowfall, although they have started to trend more closely together.

Normally when surface temperatures are down in the upper 20's it is not an issue as all that falls will accumulate.

Images courtesy of Weatherbell

It will be close in areas where surface temperatures are not in the 20s

aQ6op7T.png

0vNoQ84.png

@LoznickaCBS46: Situational Weather Update for Atlanta: northern suburbs away from top end of perimeter can expect heavy, wet snow tonight; totals up to 4"

I'm curious how the NE burbs will do Lilburn - Norcross - Duluth areas.... They usually get a wedge of cold air being away from the city. I'm going with around 4" ...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boy. look at that classic ATL screw nose on the HRRR- more west and east. Enjoy the snow everyone else..... :axe:

attachicon.gifScreen Shot 2015-02-25 at 11.25.07 AM.png

Cheez, what's your location? I'm expecting anyone north/northwest/northeast of perimeter to do pretty good. The city will struggle to get cold enough IMO.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

11AM update from RAH

QUICK 1100 AM UPDATE. QUICK LOOK AT 12Z GUIDANCE NOTES NO

IMMEDIATE OR SIGNIFICANT FORECAST ADJUSTMENTS ARE NEEDED BUT NAM

CONTINUES TO TREND NORTH A BIT AND WITH THE GFS SHOWING A SLIGHT

NORTHWARD ADJUSTMENT.

we may see predicted amounts come way down in lieu of more rain..

Man you just refuse to except that snow is happening. Slight and a bit are minor...thus NO IMMEDIATE OR SIGNIFICANT FORECAST ADJUSTMENTS. Calling or mostly rain would be significant. 

Archived