joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Feb 25-26 Discussion/pbp

Wow

• Replies 3.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is what the actual total snow on the ground from the NAM Hires is calling out:

eN7aHVM.png

One thing for sure, it is going to be very close in both the RDU and CLT area for the bulk of the snow to actually accumulate on the ground.    If the model is right, surface temps will not be down into the 20s as occurred on the Tuesday event, but instead will be skimming along just above freezing the majority of the time.    We need surface temperatures down into the upper 20s for solid stickage.

We should know the answer for what the impact of the surface warming is by 1pm to 4pm this afternoon.

You would assume the NAM Hires is factoring in the snow on the ground and cloud cover today in the CLT to RDU corridor.   Is it handling it well?  We'll find out.

That's what I've been saying the past 2 days and sticking with it.

assuming some of that initial precip is liquid - anyway, impressive - would GSP consider Heavy Snow Warnings for the catchment area? what is the criteria for that?

The criteria is that heavy snow warnings don't exist. They were discontinued in 2008.

Anyway, SREF plumes are up at KATL. Good good good.

This is not true at all. With heavy rates you can easily get stickage and snow totals surpassing 4 inches. March 2009 is a great example of that as well many other storms. I don't know how this and sun angle and ground temps always come up. If it were 34 and moderate snow yes it's tough but in this case with the QPF and heavy rates there won't be any problems.

I agree, this event will prove you shouldn't look at that guidance in the future. I can't tell you how many times the foothills of NC have had huge snows with temps at or above freezing. I can't wait until the day people put that nonsense to rest. With the rates and qpf totals the snow will pile up quickly and STAY piled up.

I was visiting south Charlotte during that storm. Impressive rates, but the temp hovered around 32/33 and heavy melting was occurring during the storm. Only ended up with about 3 inches versus what could have been much more.

I was in Gastonia and we ended up with 8". CLT was never really under the most intense banding in that event.

RGEM a tick stronger with the SLP and thus a tick further NW..

I'm looking forward to hearing about the rest of the run.  It seems to be the stingiest with the precip and snow of all of the reliable models in the past few runs.  Lets see if it ramps things up.

Reminder:  Let's keep this thread clean of all of the banter, IMBY questions, rants about other outlets, etc...

My call for the Charlotte area (for fun) would be a rain/snow mix at the start, changing to all snow, 2-5 inches.  Moderate rates at times.  Precip beginning around 6PM, ending around 2AM.  Good luck everyone.

Here's my updated call for Charlotte (airport).  Overnight model runs were good.  I'm going with 0.75 total QPF.  Starts as a rain/snow mix 5-6PM, transitioning to all snow.  Ending 4-5AM.  Total accumulation 5-8 inches.  Moderate precip rates, but heavy at times.  Could mix with sleet during precip lulls as we go towards midnight due to a possible warm layer above 850mb, but the 12z NAM was a little colder on the soundings.  

This is from the 06z NAM.  It's showing a period of strong rising motion (black shading) in the 9PM to midnight timeframe, located in the dendrite growth zone (-12 to -18 C) between 530 and 450mb, along with full saturation (not shown on this image).  That trio produces the dendrite snowflakes that pile up due to their lacy structure. 

We don't get a lot of good snow storms around here.  Fully expecting this to be a good one...enjoy it.

omeg.png

Sat.gif

GSP's Latest Thoughts:

AS OF 0945 AM...MAIN ADJUSTMENT FOR THIS UPDATE WAS TO ADJUST THE  
TIMING OF THE PRECIP MOVING INTO THE AREA THIS AFTERNOON. THE 12Z  
NAM IS A LITTLE SLOWER WITH THE ONSET OF PRECIP AS WELL AS THE  
CONSHORT GUIDANCE. BLENDING IN THE CONSHORT POPS BRINGS CATEGORICAL  
POPS INTO NE GA...FAR WESTERN UPSTATE AND THE SW NC MOUNTAINS ABOUT  
19-20Z...GREENVILLE/ASHEVILLE 22-23Z AND CLT AREA 23-00Z. STILL  
LOOKS LIKE PRECIP OUTSIDE THE MOUNTAINS WILL BEGIN AS A SHORT PERIOD  
OF RAIN BEFORE DYNAMICS QUICKLY COOL THE COLUMN TO AN ALL SNOW  
SOUNDING. THE ATLANTA 12Z SOUNDING SHOWS A NEARLY SATURATED WARM  
NOSE BELOW 700 MB WHICH SUBSTANTIATES THE IDEA THAT THERE WILL BE A  
SHARP GRADIENT BEWTEEN RAIN AND SNOW SETTING UP SOMEWHERE FROM NORTH  
GA...EASTWARD THROUGH THE SOUTHERN PERIPHERY OF THE SC UPSTATE.  
THEREFORE...SNOW AMOUNTS IN COUNTIES LIKE ELBERT...ABBEVILLE AND  
GREENWOOD WILL BE HIGHLY VARIABLE FROM SOUTH TO NORTH. OTHERWISE IT  
IS ALSO NOTEWORTHY THAT MODEL FORECAST SOUNDINGS SHOW CLASSIC CROSS  
HAIR SIGNATURES AT PLACES LIKE GSP AND CLT WHICH INDICATE VERY  
EFFICIENT SNOWFALL RATES WITH THE POTENTIAL FOR SOME CONVECTIVE  
COMPONENTS TO LOCALLY ENHANCE SNOWFALL TOTALS. LOOKS LIKE A WINDOW  
OF ABOUT 6 HOURS OF MODERATE TO HEAVY SNOW WITH 1-2 INCHES PER  
HOUR...ESPECIALLY WHERE BANDING OCCURS. HAVE NOT MADE ANY SIGNICANT  
CHANCES TO CURRENT STORM TOTAL SNOW....EXCEPT JUST FOR SOME MINOR  
ADJUSTMENTS FOR THE AFTERNOON. ALSO...LOWERD TODAYS MAX TEMPS A  
LITTLE BASED ON THICKENING CLOUDS.  

WILL CANCEL THE WINTER WEATHER ADVISORY FOR BLACK ICE...WITH THE  
UNDERSTANDIGN THAT SOME MOUNTAIN LOCATIONS MAY HAVE LINGERING  
BLACK ICE THROUGH THE DAY. 

The actual 10 AM temperatures as well as dewpoints are quite a bit lower than progged by the 6Z GFS in the ATL-AHN area:

ATL temp./DP: prog 37/27. Actual 34/25.

PDK: prog 36/27; actual 33/24

MGE: prog 36/26; actual 33/24

AHN: prog 37/29; actual 35/28

GVL: prog 36/29; actual 32/23

However, I will note that the sun is partially shining through thin overcast and has warmed me to 34.3, up about a degree over the last 20 minutes.

Archived