joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Feb 25-26 Discussion/pbp

Wow

• Replies 3.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Here you can see the RAP trending stronger with the s/w during the overnight hours (see the 546dm line fall into the trough)

http://www.americanwx.com/models/index.html?&model=rap&run_time=16z&param=500mbHGHT&map=SE&run_hour=14&loop=trend

Dang the rap is wet with 18 hr accumulated qpf!! Has the 1/2" line right up to ROA now and the NC mountains very wet! This is trending good.

The latest RAP soundings aren't far off from a Wintry event into the Lake Murray area (West of Columbia)  0.1 off at one point.  KCAE basically doesn't know where the gradient will setup either.

Shawn going to have to really watch this and the hi-res NAM  (I still not trusting the NAM) but is has a corridor of below 0c at 850 at times from me to you!

LOL, neither have I.  It's no doubt overdone and I wouldn't trust the RAP this far out, regardless, but that's just nuts.  Even the darker blue is 5"+/hr.  The dark greens are rippin' at 2"+/hr.

More than likely but I predict you'll hear some big boomers out of that band!

Shawn going to have to really watch this and the hi-res NAM  (I still not trusting the NAM) but is has a corridor of below 0c at 850 at times from me to you!

Are you seeing what the RAP modeling is still trying to do down this way?  Since I have started paying attention, the last 3 runs at least have had significant Winter weather into CAE.  8 inch amounts of my house for some reason.  I just can't exactly see it, but the RAP is initializing parameters much better from what I have seen.

I'll have to look back to last year's big one and see what the RAP was showing ahead of that one.  Was it taking crazy pills then too.?

Looks like it nailed the quick changeover to sleet pretty well (I changed over by 6 PM) and the high totals beforehead.

http://www.americanwx.com/bb/index.php/topic/42840-the-big-one-forecast-discussion-ii/

Of course, this was using it ~5-10 hours out, not 15-18.

I have a question for anyone to answer. I just noticed that wxsouth said that there could be power outages with this event due to the heavy wet snow. I was in High Point, NC during the Feb 25-26th 2004 event where we got 16 inches of snow at night and we didn't lose any power. My question is it possibly what he is saying? And

How does heavy wet snow have the same destructive power as a ice storm? Thank you for your time.

I have a question for anyone to answer. I just noticed that wxsouth said that there could be power outages with this event due to the heavy wet snow. I was in High Point, NC during the Feb 25-26th 2004 event where we got 16 inches of snow at night and we didn't lose any power. My question is it possibly what he is saying? And

How does heavy wet snow have the same destructive power as a ice storm? Thank you for your time.

Heavy wet snow sticks to trees and power lines easily and is generally heavy, which can cause trees to fall on power lines, etc., much like freezing rain.

The January 2013 ULL that dropped 3-5" at 33-34 degrees in this area knocked out power, for example.  Then, of course, Robert had all that craziness in March 2009 with a tree hitting his house after he got 8" of heavy, wet snow in above freezing temperatures.

That being said, we might escape without the wetter snow.  Looks like it could be a little drier up this way, so I am not sure if it's as much of a concern (and you're even a tick more north than I).

How reliable is the RAP anyway?  NWS keeps moving the rain/snow transition line to 85, then back down to upstate SC, 85, now it's back down to upstate SC.  If the trends keep going up with qpf, perhaps Charlotte can get some heavy accumulations.  I'd still like to get below freezing at the surface to avoid melting as it falls, but it doesn't quite look like that's going to happen. We'll see. 

Are you seeing what the RAP modeling is still trying to do down this way?  Since I have started paying attention, the last 3 runs at least have had significant Winter weather into CAE.  8 inch amounts of my house for some reason.  I just can't exactly see it, but the RAP is initializing parameters much better from what I have seen.

Ya I saw that Partly because the RAP is going nuts with the SFC LOW?

Power outage problems will be due to snow buildup on trees which can hold the snow - like pines, cedars, magnolia, etc.  Deciduous trees like Oak, maples, which have no leaves or foliage right now should be fine for the most part. 

TW

Looking at the 11AM RAP Bufkit data for CAE, there is a very heavy band of snow dropping .23 in one hour in the area.. but still nothing like shown on the current maps from the model center.  I am pretty confused.

I would look for ground truth out west b/f believing it. If MS stars reporting 16 inch totals it may be right lol. Don't see that happening yet.

Archived