• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Feb 25-26 Discussion/pbp

Wow

Just a reminder for everyone... I have an hourly updating HRRR domain centered over NC/SC for this event

http://www.atmos.albany.edu/student/ppapin/hrrr.php#flt

KGSO.gif

Also have hourly soundings for select locations (and more can be added as requested). This are also updating hourly.

KGSP

KAVL

KGSO

KCLT

KRDU

Happy event tracking everyone. Rooting for everyone in the southeast :)

I hope you keep this domain after the storm too. This was incredibly useful for the last snow event. Once again, thanks for posting.

• Replies 3.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hard to tell with out soundings or less then  hourly output.

Wake county is never above 0 on any of the 6 hour time steps

Yeah, that's what I see too.  EuroWx shows Youngsville 99% snow, the onset it spits out a little rain.  For Raleigh it has 1.1 of 1.24 as snow, a little is lost at onset.  GSO is showing 8".  All ratios are showing 10:1 or so.

The 9" line is literally right on top of my house. The gradient on the south side is sick. Unless all of these models are out to lunch, this storm is going to end up over or inside of Cape Hatteras. It's not done trending yet.

If that happens, the slp over or inside Cape Hatteras, I suspect folks in SuperJames vicinity jackpot. But the downeasters suffer through mostly rain. I tend to think it will be east of Hatteras by about 50 miles. Time will tell of course.

Thanks, Phil!  Do you have any predictions with regards to this storm?

I'm not surprised by the poleward trend the last few model runs. We see this almost all the time with a southern stream vort max. Its poorly handled in the southwestern US and when it ejects, the models are too quick to weaken the feature.

Another thing that is a positive sign, little to no convection in the Gulf of Mexico! This means the best moisture flux is going to go directly into where the best mechanical forcing for ascent is associated with frozen precipitation. I'd say these juiced up amounts the last few model cycles are the real deal, but it could also mean more WAA so perhaps cutting down amounts on the southern side of where the winter storm warnings are located.

This is just a gorgeous satellite image. 

Dpun1I1.png

I don't think I can ever remember so much weight being put into the Euro 8 hours from an event.

Yeah I wouldn't be giving it that much weight. This is a nowcast event all the way now! There will be some busts and some surprises. Dynamic systems like this always provide some of both

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Were staying in our house in the southern part of the county tonight. With the hope of seeing more accumulation. Haha But i really like what the HRRR is showing. Looks like some possible thudersnow for you guys east of me. An just my thoughts but i really dont look at OP models in this range unless im comparing tracks, temp, ect and thats just out of curosity to see how well they've done. When we get closer within the hour or two before precipitation i really start watching short range models (RAP,HRRR) Just my thoughts wish all you guys the best luck. Oh and i really dont like analogs we need serveral hundred years of data imo. This storm is a testament to that.

Burg I think what people are saying is there just notating that the Nam may not be on crack. It's good for it to see the increased qpf numbers as it really has trended nicely.

Exactly, IMO. The Euro was an extreme dry outlier before, but now it's folded towards the NAM.

All Hail King NAM. The NAM has kicked butt and taken names over the last few days.

BTW, thanks Phil!

I have a question for anyone to answer. I just noticed that wxsouth said that there could be power outages with this event due to the heavy wet snow. I was in High Point, NC during the Feb 25-26th 2004 event where we got 16 inches of snow at night and we didn't lose any power. My question is it possibly what he is saying? And

How does heavy wet snow have the same destructive power as a ice storm? Thank you for your time.

It doesn't, BUT heavy wet snow does bear greatly on tree limbs. There is only so much snow that can accumulate on power lines but ice would just keep on and on. Tree limbs are a different story. Much more snow can accumulate on tree limbs than on power lines depending on how large they are. And pine trees especially are very easily snapped under more weight because pines are a soft wood. The South is full of pine trees. You are right about ice being much more conducive to there being power outages, but I've never heard of having a big snowstorm here in the Upstate of SC where there were NO power outages. There will be some if we get major snow but they will be so much less than in ice storms that, unless YOUR power goes off, you may not even realize there were any. But listen to your local news stations if you get heavy snow and I would bet you that you will hear of power outages.

Tony

Our local media outlets are showing rain from about 5p-10p on their models! That would greatly reduce snow total, no?

Chris Justus @ WYFF posted a video about 45 minutes ago stating that he wouldn't be surprised if I-85N in SC would start as snow and stay snow.  It's a wait and see kind of thing.

I doubt it. Also, I assume the start time will be closer to 5 in the GA section of our viewing area (Im in the same viewing area as you). I doubt you have five hours of rain. But if so, then yes, it would cut into totals.

RIght now, it is aorund 1+ at the 850 and around 1 at 925. Seems that could be over came quickly.

Our local media outlets are showing rain from about 5p-10p on their models! That would greatly reduce snow total, no?

Just a reminder for everyone... I have an hourly updating HRRR domain centered over NC/SC for this event

http://www.atmos.albany.edu/student/ppapin/hrrr.php#flt

KGSO.gif

Also have hourly soundings for select locations (and more can be added as requested). This are also updating hourly.

KGSP

KAVL

KGSO

KCLT

KRDU

Happy event tracking everyone. Rooting for everyone in the southeast :)

Thanks!

It doesn't, BUT heavy wet snow does bear greatly on tree limbs. There is only so much snow that can accumulate on power lines but ice would just keep on and on. Tree limbs are a different story. Much more snow can accumulate on tree limbs than on power lines depending on how large they are. And pine trees especially are very easily snapped under more weight because pines are a soft wood. The South is full of pine trees. You are right about ice being much more conducive to there being power outages, but I've never heard of having a big snowstorm here in the Upstate of SC where there were NO power outages. There will be some if we get major snow but they will be so much less than in ice storms that, unless YOUR power goes off, you may not even realize there were any. But listen to your local news stations if you get heavy snow and I would bet you that you will hear of power outages.

Tony

Similarly, I was in Birmingham in '93 when we were hit with 17" of all snow.  Power outages were very widespread during that event.

I wonder if there are any general indicators (accumluation, for example) to look for when trying to determine if power outages can be expected.

Archived