joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Feb 25-26 Discussion/pbp

Wow

• Replies 3.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wow.  Is it warmer or colder due to the increase in QPF? 

CLT and RDU are close, but probably all-snow, at least based on 850s.  Where I am is comfortably all-snow with 0.9" QPF, so I think it's time to go all-in for 6-12"... hope I don't regret it.  Go big or go home.

1.3" QPF for RDU and 0.9" for CLT.

The surface low pressure passes OVER Cape Hatteras at 994 mb at hr 24.

You're crazy...I guess time will tell but everything about this screams big dog from GSP to CLT to RDU. It's happening. Gotta look at synoptics and all the forcing and VVs. Were all getting slammed. 

That's what makes this so exciting. 

When I forecast, I look for reasons that things are NOT going to pan out...  That way I'm not looking through my snow goggles too much.

In my opinion, based on model data, the cold air supply just isn't THAT strong and with this low ticking north every model run since yesterday, Wake is going to be right smack dab in the transition zone.  Northern wake, lots more snow.  Southern Wake near JoCO, more rain mixed in.  

We will see what happens!  No hard feelings here if anyone disagrees.  

The euro is printing out 1.27 exactly for rdu. It increase qpf by over 1 inch 12 hours before the storm.  Not surprised, but still crazzzzyy when you think about it.

It had less than 0.2" here two runs ago and now it's showing nearly 1".  It's really done a terrible job for this storm with regards to precipitation amounts...

The Euro crosses at 998 mb NW of CHS.  Just a polite 50-75 mile NW jump at zero hour.

Well that escalated quickly.

Indeed, RAP may be onto something.  Maybe not widespread 2' amounts but could see a nice long stripe of 12"+ .  The sref members (at leas the arw ones) have been consistent with a stripe of 12"+ for a few runs now.

That's what makes this so exciting. 

When I forecast, I look for reasons that things are NOT going to pan out...  That way I'm not looking through my snow goggles too much.

In my opinion, based on model data, the cold air supply just isn't THAT strong and with this low ticking north every model run since yesterday, Wake is going to be right smack dab in the transition zone.  Northern wake, lots more snow.  Southern Wake near JoCO, more rain mixed in.  

We will see what happens!  No hard feelings here if anyone disagrees.  

But this storm isn't reliant on a cold air feed. It's dynamics and how strong and fast it is. Models are not going to pick up on exactly how much forcing and dynamics are around. I guess there is the chance it doesn't stay as strong so we get some mixing issues but right now, again everything screams that this is the big dog we've been dreaming about the last few years. 

Just a reminder for everyone... I have an hourly updating HRRR domain centered over NC/SC for this event

http://www.atmos.albany.edu/student/ppapin/hrrr.php#flt

KGSO.gif

Also have hourly soundings for select locations (and more can be added as requested). These are also updating hourly.

KGSP

KAVL

KGSO

KCLT

KRDU

Happy event tracking everyone. Rooting for everyone in the southeast :)

GSP updated AFD:

.NEAR TERM /THROUGH TONIGHT/...
AS OF 1240 PM...MADE SOME MINOR ADJUSTMENTS TO TEMP TRENDS.
OTHERWISE IT APPEARS THAT THE FORECAST IS ON TRACK. PRECIP SHOWING
UP ON REGIONAL RADARS ENTERING GA WHICH IS STILL EXPECTED REACH
WESTERN AREAS BY 5 PM. STILL COUNTING ON RAIN AT THE ONSET MAINLY
ALONG AND SOUTH THE I-85 CORRIDOR WITH DYNAMIC COOLING BEING COUNTED
TO COOL PROFILES ENOUGH TO PRODUCE SNOW.

Euro...this just snow, or what it thinks is snow, doesn't include sleet.

The 9" line is literally right on top of my house. The gradient on the south side is sick. Unless all of these models are out to lunch, this storm is going to end up over or inside of Cape Hatteras. It's not done trending yet.

Just a reminder for everyone... I have an hourly updating HRRR domain centered over NC/SC for this event

http://www.atmos.albany.edu/student/ppapin/hrrr.php#flt

Also have hourly soundings for select locations (and more can be added as requested). This are also updating hourly.

KGSP

KAVL

KGSO

KCLT

KRDU

Happy event tracking everyone. Rooting for everyone in the southeast :)

Thanks, Phil!  Do you have any predictions with regards to this storm?

Archived