Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
Feb 25-26 Discussion/pbp

Wow

• Replies 3.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The actual 10 AM temperatures as well as dewpoints are quite a bit lower than progged by the 6Z GFS in the ATL-AHN area:

ATL temp./DP: prog 37/27. Actual 34/25.

PDK: prog 36/27; actual 33/24

MGE: prog 36/26; actual 33/24

AHN: prog 37/29; actual 35/28

GVL: prog 36/29; actual 32/23

However, I will note that the sun is partially shining through thin overcast and has warmed me to 34.3, up about a degree over the last 20 minutes.

High Feb sun angle? HA

I'm seeing sleet reports near Birmingham. Although this may only be temporary, I'm starting to wonder more and more about sleet POSSIBLY ending up as a primary precip type for a decent number of folks. Keep in mind the wedge now showing up on at least the GFS while low level wetbulbs are currently colder than progged.

I'm seeing sleet reports near Birmingham. Although this may only be temporary, I'm starting to wonder more and more about sleet POSSIBLY ending up as a primary precip type for a decent number of folks. Keep in mind the wedge now showing up on at least the GFS while low level wetbulbs are currently colder than progged.

We'll see.  Hopefully, the colder profiles vary over here.  But I have seen stronger storms screw with the thermals more than the models showed.  It wouldn't surprise me to see more sleet mixing in.

We'll see.  Hopefully, the colder profiles vary over here.  But I have seen stronger storms screw with the thermals more than the models showed.  It wouldn't surprise me to see more sleet mixing in.

GFS just came in large and a touch colder than it's 6z run...this is the 12z NAM for RDU... :whistle:

http://coolwx.com/modelts/images/nam/current/KRDU/prec.png

30 mins · 

****The Storm is Getting Serious and borderline Dangerous ***
I'm updating new snow map forecast. The latest data and trends point to a widespread 6 to 10" snowstorm from parts of Alabama Georgia to Carolinas and Virginia now. The RAP and NAM are both excellent short term tools and are increasing amounts drastically--on top of what was already slated to be a big event. In some areas this will be a devastating snowstorm, with tree falls and roof collapses, and power outages.
Ths is no ordinary dry powdery snow. This is extremely WET , heavy snow. The problems will come from too much falling too fast---simple as that. The trees won't be able to slough off the snow in time, when it's falling at up to 2" per hour (in some areas). That's why I'm extremely concerned especially north side of Birmingham and Atlanta to all of Upstate South Carolina, through interior NC and southeast Quadrant of Virginia, where now Richmond is in line for bigger totals than thought. A 6" storm is manageable, but when 8" or more of this Cement falls in a very short time like this one will, then power issues arise FAST. And there could be over a FOOT in parts of the Carolinas and possibly part of GA, AR, VA as well.

You might want to get all your shopping/errands/preps done now if you're in these regions

Boy is FFC going to have a lot of egg on their face for still having snow so far south in the ATL area. RGEM, HRRR 2M temps all have no chance of snow ITP except perhaps at the very end a few flakes- maybe some sleet because of the wet bulbs being less than the models. But overall, if I get any measurable snow at my house I will be surprised.

Is that 1.5 over my house? o O My avatar is my reaction to this.

I live in the Greenville SC area too. I love reading how you guys dissect the models, but if the storm comes in too strong (if that is even possible) does it risk bringing up warm air from the south near the gulf which would hinder our accumulations?  

SNOW really picking up in Shreveport LA right now....Here is a webcam that refreshes every 10 mins and you can really tell the differences from one 10 min to the next....

http://www.sohiweather.com/webcam.php

Also that finger extended out ahead of everything else that Lookout mentioned yesterday is really starting to extend east.  Basically already in extreme west Georgia already....

Archived