joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Feb 25-26 Discussion/pbp

Wow

• Replies 3.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

For upstate crowd, this map should put any concerns of a nice snow to bed. Nice little bullseye over Greenville!

No doubt! Weirdest looking map I have seen with the pockets of 70% of more throughout! Stays true to what most maps have been showing. Gsp is also likening the north of I85 area in the upstate. Still wiggle room for where the banding will set up...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Good Morning! I have updated my snow map and here is the latest call. Some areas could see locally heavier amounts where banding sets up. The biggest change was to lower western NC into a 3-6 category with higher amounts along the southern facing slopes of NC. Otherwise, the forecast is on track and looks good at the moment.

february252015second.jpg

Is it me or have last couple of GFS runs, especially 6Z, shown increasing CAD? I'm starting to wonder if sleet could possibly end up as a dominant ptype in/near much of ATL/AHN area. Any opinions?

Larry, was just looking at that. Even right now you see the pressure signature of a CAD

post-594-0-44817400-1424863076_thumb.jpg

Great read from NWS Raleigh:

.SHORT TERM /TONIGHT THROUGH THURSDAY/...
AS OF 550 AM WEDNESDAY...

THERE HAS BEEN A CONTINUED SLIGHT NORTHWARD SHIFT IN GUIDANCE SINCE
YESTERDAY...WHICH EQUATES TO A WETTER AND MARGINALLY WARMER SOLUTION
FOR CENTRAL NC...
THOUGH THE OVERALL PATTERN REMAINS UNCHANGED WITH
THE DEAMPLIFICATION/ENE SHEARING OF A SHORTWAVE TROUGH FROM NEAR THE
RIO GRANDE THIS MORNING TO THE MIDDLE ATLANTIC COAST BY THU MORNING.
THE ASSOCIATED FORCING FOR ASCENT ATOP A PAIR OF CLOSELY-SPACED AND
STRONG FRONTAL ZONES DRAPED ACROSS THE NORTHERN GOM TO A SFC LOW
ABOUT MIDWAY BETWEEN CAPE HATTERAS AND BERMUDA...WILL RESULT IN THE
CONTINUED DEEPENING OF A SFC LOW OVER THE NW GOM THIS MORNING.
GUIDANCE IS THEN FAIRLY TIGHTLY CLUSTERED WITH THE TRACK OF A MILLER
"A" SFC LOW ACROSS THE NORTHERN FL PENINSULA THIS EVENING AND
ROUGHLY ALONG THE GULF STREAM TO JUST EAST OF CAPE HATTERAS BY 12Z
THU.

AS HAS BEEN NOTED IN PREVIOUS DISCUSSIONS...THE LACK OF A PARENT
COLD HIGH IS ADMITTEDLY SOMEWHAT CONCERNING. AN ARCTIC SFC HIGH AT
1045 MB WILL BE CENTERED OVER SOUTHERN ALBERTA/SASKATCHEWAN AND WILL
CONSEQUENTLY HAVE LITTLE INFLUENCE AT OUR LATITUDE DURING THE HEIGHT
OF THE STORM TONIGHT. HOWEVER...A VERY FAVORABLE MILLER "A" CYCLONE
TRACK ALONG AND JUST OFFSHORE THE SE COAST...IN CONJUNCTION WITH A
PRECEDING ARCTIC HIGH THAT APPEARS TO BE JUST COLD ENOUGH DESPITE
BEING IN A DRAMATICALLY WEAKENED STATE FROM A COUPLE OF DAYS
AGO...BUT IS STILL CHARACTERIZED BY SFC TEMPERATURES AND DEWPOINTS
MOSTLY IN THE TEENS TO 20S OVER NC THIS MORNING...WILL SUPPORT A
SIGNIFICANT WINTER STORM **WITH A NARROW P-TYPE (SNOW/RAIN)
TRANSITION ZONE AND DEEP NEAR FREEZING ISOTHERMAL PROFILES
CHARACTERISTIC OF MILLER "A` SFC PATTERNS.** PRECIPITATION
RATES...OCCASIONALLY MODERATE TO HEAVY...WILL ONLY SERVE TO ENHANCE
THE DEEP NEAR FREEZING ISOTHERMAL PROFILES RIGHT ALONG THE SNOW/COLD
RAIN INTERFACE...OWING TO MELTING. A LITTLE MIX OF SLEET AND
FREEZING RAIN ARE HARD TO AVOID IN CENTRAL NC WINTER STORMS...AND IN
MILLER "A" STORMS INCLUDING THIS ONE...SUCH OCCURRENCE IS MOST LIKELY
NEAR THE NARROW TRANSITION SNOW/RAIN ZONE.
NO APPRECIABLE ICING IS
ANTICIPATED...HOWEVER...IN PART SINCE SURFACE TEMPERATURES ARE
EXPECTED TO HOLD NEARLY STEADY IN THE 29 TO 33 DEGREE RANGE OVER THE
WARNING AREA...AND 32 TO 34 DEGREES OVER THE ADVISORY AREA WHERE
SUCH ICING OCCURRENCE WOULD BE MOST PROBABLE.

DESPITE SOME MINIMAL OVERALL RISE IN THICKNESS VALUES VERSUS THE
SLIGHTLY COLDER AND DRIER SOLUTIONS OF YESTERDAY...PROJECTED PARTIAL
THICKNESS VALUES OVER MOST OF THE PIEDMONT AND NORTHERN COASTAL
PLAIN REMAIN SQUARELY IN THE RANGE TYPICAL OF SIGNIFICANT SNOWSTORMS
IN CENTRAL NC. WITH A SLIGHTLY MILDER SOLUTION COMES A SLIGHTLY
WETTER ONE...LED BY A BLEND OF THE VERY SIMILAR 00Z ECMWF AND
GFS...SO QPF HAS BEEN RAISED TO AROUND ONE HALF INCH OVER THE NW
PIEDMONT TO AS MUCH AS ONE INCH OVER THE SOUTHERN COASTAL PLAIN.

PARTIAL THICKNESS VALUES HEAVILY WEIGHTED TOWARD THE FAVORED 00Z
ECMWF AND GFS...FAVORS MOSTLY SNOW OVER THE PIEDMONT AND NORTHERN
COASTAL PLAIN...WITH A MIX OF SNOW AND A COLD RAIN (OR FREEZING RAIN
WITH LITTLE ACCRUAL WHERE SFC TEMPERATURES OSCILLATE ABOUT THE
FREEZING MARK) OVER THE ADVISORY AREA.

SNOW RATIOS BETWEEN 00-06Z THU OF 10-14:1 PER WPC WWD SLR GUIDANCE
AND SUPPORTED BY THERMAL PROFILES THAT RANGE FROM DEEP NEAR FREEZING
ISOTHERMAL IN THER NARROW TRANSITION ZONE TO WELL BELOW FREEZING...
EXCEPT RIGHT AT THE SURFACE...ALONG AND NORTH OF THE I-40/I-85
CORRIDOR...ARE EXPECTED TO DECREASE PARTICULARLY NEAR NARROW
TRANSITION ZONE TO CLOSER TO 8-10:1 PER WHAT IS TYPICAL OF EVENTS
CHARACTERIZED BY PARTIAL THICKNESS VALUES IN THE ~1285/~1535 METER
RANGE. SLIGHTLY LOWER RATIOS...CLOSER TO 4-6:1 WITHIN THE SNOW/RAIN
TRANSITION ZONE
- OR ROUGHLY ALONG THE BOUNDARY OF WINTER STORM
WARNING AND WINTER WEATHER ADVISORY - WHERE THE MIXING WITH A COLD
RAIN WILL RESULT IN A MORE SLUSHY ACCUMULATION VERSUS POINTS
NORTHWARD.

BASED ON THESE RATIOS...AND THE QPF NOTED ABOVE...WIDESPREAD
SNOWFALL ACCUMULATIONS OF 3 TO 6 INCHES ARE LIKELY OVER THE WARNING
AREA...WITH A STRIPE OF 6 TO 8 INCHES ROUGHLY INVOF OR JUST NORTH OF
THE US HIGHWAY 64 CORRIDOR...WITH LOCALLY HIGHER AMOUNTS FROM THE
TRIANGLE TO ROANOKE RAPIDS AND ROCKY MOUNT.
MEANWHILE...LESSER
TOTALS OF 1 TO 3 INCHES ARE EXPECTED OVER THE ADVISORY AREA...WHERE
AGAIN...PARTIAL THICKNESS AND SFC TEMPERATURE VALUES MARGINALLY
ABOVE FREEZING WILL SUPPORT A MIXING WITH OR CHANGEOVER TO A COLD
RAIN BETWEEN MIDNIGHT AND 5 AM. EVEN THERE...HOWEVER...THE NORTHERN
PORTIONS OF THE ADVISORY COUNTIES MAY EXCEED WARNING CRITERIA OF 3
INCHES.

Latest Hires NAM Actual Snow on Ground Accounting for Surface Melting

(Documented to see if the Hires NAM is actually calling the surface correctly. It will be interesting to see what the HRRR shows for actual snow on ground as model runs come in today

It will come down to the ability for the total column to be brought down below freezing as both surface temps and dew points will be in the mid 30s or higher going into the event.

Image courtesy of Weatherbell

BpH5SPh.jpg

XDHRYY4.jpg

Without melting :
jdcuLXf.jpg

HRRR surface temps and dew points 8:00pm

b18HNFe.jpg

6BkiKd0.jpg

bU2Ctsg.jpg

The HRRR is also pushing afternoon temperatures this afternoon up to the upper 40s to 50 degrees in many areas

CMSPpg1.png

The RAP and HRR are starting to key in on the frontogenically forced band out in front of the main show. It looks like they really want to strengthen it and dump on the northern upstate/Southern NC mountains by as early as 4 oclock this afternoon. 

It wouldn't surprise me one bit as the southern mountains always seem to find a way to get in on the heavy precip before anyone else, regardless of trajectory....

post-309-0-01021900-1424864403_thumb.gif

Steve,

Look at the 6Z GFS progged 925's vs 850's for MGE, PDK, and AHN. They're generally colder and at -1 C most of the time while 850's are as warm as +1 C. So, 4K feet above ground 34 F while it is 30 F at 2K feet above ground?? That seems sleety if those levels were to be accurate. In the past, I've noticed 850's in the +1C to +2.5C range while there is decent wedging has resulted in sleet as the main precip type. Regardless, 2M temp's, which are a little warmer on this GFS run, are almost certainly quite a bit too warm and would likely be closer to 28-30 F.

Opinions Steve or others?

Steve,

Look at the 6Z GFS progged 925's vs 850's for MGE, PDK, and AHN. They're generally colder and at -1 C most of the time while 850's are as warm as +1 C. So, 4K feet above ground 34 F while it is 30 F at 2K feet above ground?? That seems sleety if those levels were to be accurate. In the past, I've noticed 850's in the +1C to +2.5C range while there is decent wedging has resulted in sleet as the main precip type. Regardless, 2M temp's, which are a little warmer on this GFS run, are almost certainly quite a bit too warm and would likely be closer to 28-30 F.

Opinions Steve or others?

Yeah, I was just looking at the nearby soundings as well.  As much as I dislike sleet, it beats plain old rain any day.  Of course I'm praying that 850's are modeled a little too warm.  I'm sure the surface is in CAD areas, and likely 925's too.  I did find it interesting in the FCC AM disco that they have concern with down sloping in the NE Ga CAD areas.  Been trying to figure out what they are seeing there???  Seems the opposite ie CAD holds to me.

The RAP and HRR are starting to key in on the frontogenically forced band out in front of the main show. It looks like they really want to strengthen it and dump on the northern upstate/Southern NC mountains by as early as 4 oclock this afternoon.

It wouldn't surprise me one bit as the southern mountains always seem to find a way to get in on the heavy precip before anyone else, regardless of trajectory....

that comes with enhanced orographic lift with the sudden increase in elevation. The same way the up slope works along the Tennessee border it's the same way here. It's also the reason we average so much rain. Warm gulf air is wrung out over the high souther peaks.

Looks like the northwest trends continue. Apparently all of the concerns about this being overamped in the modeling were overamped. From northern Wake to Roanoke Rapids looks to be the sweet spot. Looks like southern Wake goes over to mix or rain.

You are not going to rain, it may 30 miles SE of you but we will see. We will mix, we always do with big events. 4-6" with some sleet will be a big event. I think just NE of us is all snow, SuperJames gets 6"+ and CLT looks to be around that too.

Also, we only mix as the coastal approaches ILM, before that a lot of the precip has fallen.

Looks like the northwest trends continue. Apparently all of the concerns about this being overamped in the modeling were overamped. From northern Wake to Roanoke Rapids looks to be the sweet spot. Looks like southern Wake goes over to mix or rain.

I don't know man. Going off RAH's discussion you could do well. It looks like the transition line will setup right along the warning/advisor county lines. That gives you all of Johnson and Harnett County as a buffer. Looking at the 6z GFS you would be right on the line but high rates can over-come slightly above 850 temps. **as Pack said yesterday toe the line...

There's still so much cold air all over SE US. 6Z GFS 2M's look too warm. Hard for me to believe that wintry precip won't dominate ATL -AHN though I do wonder if sleet sneaks in as at least part of it in some CAD areas like ATL-AHN. I do remember the great 2/1979 sleetstorm. It was predicted to be mainly snow. I'm not predicting sleet but am wondering about the possibility.

Any opinions?

You are not going to rain, it may 30 miles SE of you but we will see. We will mix, we always do with big events. 4-6" with some sleet will be a big event. I think just NE of us is all snow, SuperJames gets 6"+ and CLT looks to be around that too.

Also, we only mix as the coastal approaches ILM, before that a lot of the precip has fallen.

Yes, if I was reading it correct NWS said the advisory counties could see cold rain mixing. They weren't referring to the warning area (Wake). But the said the the northern part of the advisory "counties" could exceed 3.

I could be wrong.

I don't know man. Going off RAH's discussion you could do well. It looks like the transition line will setup right along the warning/advisor county lines. That gives you all of Johnson and Harnett County as a buffer. Looking at the 6z GFS you would be right on the line but high rates can over-come slightly above 850 temps. **as Pack said yesterday toe the line...

I want to be 10-20 miles NW of the rain/snow line, playing with fire but it's go big time.

Yes, if I was reading it correct NWS said the advisory counties could see cold rain mixing. They weren't referring to the warning area (Wake). But the said the the northern part of the advisory "counties" could exceed 3.

I could be wrong.

I think we mix with sleet, not rain, we almost always do with big events.

Archived