joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
February 21-22 Storm Observations

Rtd208

• Replies 910
  • Created
  • Last Reply

0379"]So anyone out there please answer why does the radar say heavy snow south shore LI and its all rain?Sent from my iPhone

done transfer to rain has just occurred in Astoria Queens probably after three and a half inches of snow & after four and a half inches in Central Park. Pretty good

I grew up in Oceanside and they mainly got ripped off.  Once in 1973 my parent returned from JFK with two inches of ice on their car, from a famous ice storm Oceanside just got rain.  The only time I remember that it did better was the 1969 Lindsey storm I had a 10 foot snow drift in the front on the house and a 15 foot one on the side,  South wind there forgetaboutit.

PDII might be the one storm I can remember that jackpotted around JFK and the south shore. Jan 1996 was still much better though for me. I definitely had my share of awesome snow experiences, especially 12/30/00, 1/26/11 and 12/26/10 at home but tons of disappointments also.

So anyone out there please answer why does the radar say heavy snow south shore LI and its all rain?

Sent from my iPhone

Is your temperature below freezing? Sometimes "snow" will be assigned to radar images when the temperature is below freezing even when there is freezing rain or rain falling. Also, snow may still be falling nearby and the radar was slow to recognize that the changeover took place.

The newest HRRR run is very interesting.....It shows much of the precip puling out of the area between 1-2 AM, with more heavy precip moving in after that until 7am. It has consistently been showing 4-6" for northern parts of the city west across NNJ. It shows the mix line not getting much past EWR and then when that next batch comes through, even most of the city changes back to snow. I don't believe it, as it never showed the mix line moving this far north this soon, but it's something to watch

The newest HRRR run is very interesting.....It shows much of the precip puling out of the area between 1-2 AM, with more heavy precip moving in after that until 7am. It has consistently been showing 4-6" for northern parts of the city west across NNJ. It shows the mix line not getting much past EWR and then when that next batch comes through, even most of the city changes back to snow. I don't believe it, as it never showed the mix line moving this far north this soon, but it's something to watch

RGEM is the only thing anyone should look at tonight other than radar, it's been so hot in a year ruled by model chaos

Well played, sir. Agree... get off the cpu and get outside.

When it comes down to it, the difference in 4" vs 8" is really negligible, especially when you've already got a snowpack.

Thanks bud, all I am trying to tell people is that nature is a beautiful amazing thing and whatever they get I hope they enjoy it to the maximum.  Who knows why any of us end up with whatever we get.  I got almost 3 feet in December 2010 (Middlesex NJ local max) and have been hit by some amazing local weather phenomenom during my life.  Bottom line is do whatever you can to get out there, and exert yourself in the weather.  It's the best thing.  We should all be so grateful to be alive.  Really, how amazing is it to be a human being, and to experience weather?  Being a human being is a tremendous gift and blessing.  I love weather because being able to enjoy it, to me, means fully taking advantage of the blessings that being alive brings.  It's a beautiful thing to experience a landscape covered in snow and to appreciate a "nice little snowstorm."  And beyond just simply existing, there are so many small joys that weather brings all of us.  This forum seems to have a lot of angry bitterness on who's computer beats another's.  Be grateful you're alive and you can see a great snowstorm.  Be happy.  It's all we have, right?

That's what I love about nature.  I don't have a favorite season.  No matter what season, I have a favorite thing about that season.  I love the heat in the summer.  I love the cold and the snow in the winter.  I love the chaos of spring and fall.  I love watching the plants and animals react to seasons and their changes.  And when something happens in winter, I take it for what it is.  Extreme cold, a big storm, a big thaw, I think to myself, I am seeing something interesting and maybe new about Mother Nature.  People on here are so cynical and clinical about the amazing things that are happening around them.

It was a stats-padder, and nice to look at for the few hours it was snowing. I was never a fan of these kind of storms, but they were nice to watch when they were thumping snow at the beginning, and I would hope like crazy that the rain could stay away, but it never does. Still better than suppression though, and what snow lasts will freeze into a brick when the next cold shot comes.

Thanks bud, all I am trying to tell people is that nature is a beautiful amazing thing and whatever they get I hope they enjoy it to the maximum.  Who knows why any of us end up with whatever we get.  I got almost 3 feet in December 2010 (Middlesex NJ local max) and have been hit by some amazing local weather phenomenom during my life.  Bottom line is do whatever you can to get out there, and exert yourself in the weather.  It's the best thing.  We should all be so grateful to be alive.  Really, how amazing is it to be a human being, and to experience weather?  Being a human being is a tremendous gift and blessing.  I love weather because being able to enjoy it, to me, means fully taking advantage of the blessings that being alive brings.  It's a beautiful thing to experience a landscape covered in snow and to appreciate a "nice little snowstorm."  And beyond just simply existing, there are so many small joys that weather brings all of us.  This forum seems to have a lot of angry bitterness on who's computer beats another's.  Be grateful you're alive and you can see a great snowstorm.  Be happy.  It's all we have, right?

That's what I love about nature.  I don't have a favorite season.  No matter what season, I have a favorite thing about that season.  I love the heat in the summer.  I love the cold and the snow in the winter.  I love the chaos of spring and fall.  I love watching the plants and animals react to seasons and their changes.  And when something happens in winter, I take it for what it is.  Extreme cold, a big storm, a big thaw, I think to myself, I am seeing something interesting and maybe new about Mother Nature.  People on here are so cynical and clinical about the amazing things that are happening around them.

I got 31" that storm probably will never  see that kind of amounts again. Nature was beautiful that day.

Archived