joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
February 21-22 Storm Observations

Rtd208

• Replies 910
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Perplexed.. In Oceanside and the radar says heavy snow for another hour with the sleet line near Philly?!! Wouldn't the rain and sleet show on the radar if that's what I'm getting now? Feel so cheated right now since this was supposed to be the heaviest snow of the storm .. Wtf!

Sent from my iPhone

Look at dual pol radar, that shows where the mixing line is much better. I don't have the link handy but I'm sure someone else here can post it. Where the purple shading turns to yellow, that's where the sleet line is. 

Oceanside's a tough place to be on south wind winter weather events. 

Right to rain in Colonia, no sleet. Probably around 3.5. Maybe 4. So the 2-4 amts some called for were right. Seen a lot of these storms and can only remember a handful that accumulated more in a front end dump. Was nice to see some snow, and it was easy to clean before the rain. Most snow storms, even in high snow cities,  I was surprised to read, are under 5 inches. So this is not too bad considering the first half of winter. Will rely on that RU fella from Metuchen for a seasonal total so far.

This will be, my choice of best term, a "nice little storm."

The landscape looks gorgeous, we get a great snowstorm (historically speaking), and from a geek perspective the most interesting questions are "who gets dry-slotted" and "how much."

Living in Hunterdon county I don't really care if I got the most, I'm totally ok with 3-4 or less or however much we end up with.  Meteorologically this was an interesting set up.  And a major model war between north/south and who would get the big numbers.  That's all I'm interested in.

These "nice little snowstorms" are a real rare blessing, don't take them for granted.  If you really truly like snow and love weather, go out and play, or stfu.

Posted Today, 10:47 am
  •  
Freezing rain could be a bigger problem than people are thinking right now. I think the same thing as yesterday.....2-4" for most areas with 5" as you head SW with some areas 6". I'm not sure we completely flip over to plain rain in NNJ. One thing.....As the majority of this thread's posts consist of people arguing over if they see an inch or two more than someone else blah blah blah.....I don't think there will be 2" in one area, and 5" nearby.....Naturally we'll have an area that receives a heavier band or two, but I don't think anyone will receive an obscene amount of snow, nor do I think anywhere in the vicinity will receive barely anything (in our areas at least). The ground is very cold and while I could see the mixing coming in sooner than some are thinking, I also think the mixing will last longer. Either way, it warms up tomorrow and refreezes tomorrow night. Be safe out there everyone 

I still think that ice could be an issue for some areas, as the mix has a tough time pulling out and the line may sag south before the precip pulls away. Hopefully we don't end up with a prolonged period of freezing rain. The saving grace may be that temps are not too low and the precip is heavier, not drizzly. Snow was never heavy here, mainly light to moderate. Should change over soon to sleet. A little over 3" on the ground

Look at dual pol radar, that shows where the mixing line is much better. I don't have the link handy but I'm sure someone else here can post it. Where the purple shading turns to yellow, that's where the sleet line is. 

Oceanside's a tough place to be on south wind winter weather events. 

Here

post-4973-0-89488100-1424570972_thumb.gi

I grew up in Oceanside and they mainly got ripped off.  Once in 1973 my parent returned from JFK with two inches of ice on their car, from a famous ice storm Oceanside just got rain.  The only time I remember that it did better was the 1969 Lindsey storm I had a 10 foot snow drift in the front on the house and a 15 foot one on the side,  South wind there forgetaboutit.

The landscape looks gorgeous, we get a great snowstorm (historically speaking), and from a geek perspective the most interesting questions are "who gets dry-slotted" and "how much."

Living in Hunterdon county I don't really care if I got the most, I'm totally ok with 3-4 or less or however much we end up with.  Meteorologically this was an interesting set up.  And a major model war between north/south and who would get the big numbers.  That's all I'm interested in.

These "nice little snowstorms" are a real rare blessing, don't take them for granted.  If you really truly like snow and love weather, go out and play, or stfu.

It was a stats-padder, and nice to look at for the few hours it was snowing. I was never a fan of these kind of storms, but they were nice to watch when they were thumping snow at the beginning, and I would hope like crazy that the rain could stay away, but it never does. Still better than suppression though, and what snow lasts will freeze into a brick when the next cold shot comes.

Living in Hunterdon county I don't really care if I got the most, I'm totally ok with 3-4 or less or however much we end up with. Meteorologically this was an interesting set up. And a major model war between north/south and who would get the big numbers. That's all I'm interested in.

These "nice little snowstorms" are a real rare blessing, don't take them for granted. If you really truly like snow and love weather, go out and play, or stfu.

Well played, sir. Agree... get off the cpu and get outside.

When it comes down to it, the difference in 4" vs 8" is really negligible, especially when you've already got a snowpack.

Archived