• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
February 21-22 Storm Observations

Rtd208

about the same here, but I have a ZR/Sleet mix now after a nice 5 inch snowfall-ice will cement it in, and tomorrow night's temp crashes to 10, so this will be an incredible glacier around here.

Agreed. Interesting that the RGEM drops the mix line south turning us back to snow in a couple of hours. Let's see if it's true.

• Replies 910
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Still mostly snow in Rockland but sleet pellets are starting to slowly mix in from time to time, seems a mid level warm tongue is sneaking in, even up here

I'm in western Bergen county just across the boarder to the south of you and have had no sleet. Wonder where the warm tongue is getting you from.

Yea....transition line seems to be splitting rockland right now. Sleet/ frz rain in Nyack, but still all snow in Suffern and up in Stony Point

My buddy in Suffern is still all snow but the sleet pellets are starting to mix in around new city right now. There is definitely warm air mixing in at mid levels

Is your temperature below freezing? Sometimes "snow" will be assigned to radar images when the temperature is below freezing even when there is freezing rain or rain falling. Also, snow may still be falling nearby and the radar was slow to recognize that the changeover took place.

You have to look at the entire column, top down. Dual pol is better for this. Melting and warming wil be occurring above the ground

It's not gonna melt a lot. Sleet and ice on top of this will not melt quickly even IF it briefly gets into the 40's ...sorry no torching and no flooding.

Sun angle is starting to get noticeably higher, the only way to retain the snowpack from now on is if its overcast and below 32, even with full sunshine and sub freezing temps it would melt

Sun angle is starting to get noticeably higher, the only way to retain the snowpack from now on is if its overcast and below 32, even with full sunshine and sub freezing temps it would melt

Again, you have sleet and ice on TOP of snow.. Won't melt as quickly and certainly not a lot. Temps may not even touch 40 anyway. My forecast high is down to 38.

Archived