joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
February 21-22 Storm Observations

Rtd208

• Replies 910
  • Created
  • Last Reply

RGEM is the only thing anyone should look at tonight other than radar, it's been so hot in a year ruled by model chaos

RGEM has been terrific for the most part, however during the blizzard it did show very significant accumulating snows for most of NNJ up until it's last couple runs. The HRRR didn't seem amused by the idea of any good snows getting further west past long island and NYC. During our last storm, our glistening high ratio snow event, the RGEM showed the heaviest banding setting up over SNJ and sparing most of NNJ with anything more than 2-3". While it was correct for me, it did not pick up the banding over central NJ that gave them a secondary jackpot. HRRR picked up on that and consistently showed it over that area.

Both models are great, and the RGEM has been nothing short of awesome this year, however, there is a time to use the HRRR and while it is not perfect, if used right before and during storm, it can be very helpful along with the RAP. The HRRR shows the mix line stopping its northward progression right around EWR and northern parts of the city.....Let's see if its correct, as well as its idea of a heavier band of more accumulating snow/mix pushing through later

Right now, it is a sleet/snow mix here in essex county, NJ. Probably around 3.25" on the ground.....Was expecting 3-4" so i'm not disappointed. The 6-8"+ amounts thrown around were a pipe dream anyway

I got 31" that storm probably will never  see that kind of amounts again. Nature was beautiful that day.

Brother every day we are alive is a beautiful gift of nature.  To be hit with 31" of snow is just another extra ridiculously special thing to experience.  Be grateful, and most of all be happy.  I love weather, and all of the complexities and the unpredictable nature that comes with it.  I love these setups because as human beings so much of our experience is definitively determined and then weather comes along and blows all of it up.  A few days away from a given event, everyone is ferverishingly arguing where the low pressure will be centered and where the 0C 850 lines will set up.  It's what I love about nature.  It never gets old.

Even though I love human progress I sort of secretly hope this stuff is never solved.  Because in 50 years I get to watch a bunch of dopes excitedly argue the snow totals of the metro area.  I just love it and if you don't get weather you'll never know why.  But if you do love it, you'll know exactly why tracking these kind of storms is so much fun.

Thanks bud, all I am trying to tell people is that nature is a beautiful amazing thing and whatever they get I hope they enjoy it to the maximum.  Who knows why any of us end up with whatever we get.  I got almost 3 feet in December 2010 (Middlesex NJ local max) and have been hit by some amazing local weather phenomenom during my life.  Bottom line is do whatever you can to get out there, and exert yourself in the weather.  It's the best thing.  We should all be so grateful to be alive.  Really, how amazing is it to be a human being, and to experience weather?  Being a human being is a tremendous gift and blessing.  I love weather because being able to enjoy it, to me, means fully taking advantage of the blessings that being alive brings.  It's a beautiful thing to experience a landscape covered in snow and to appreciate a "nice little snowstorm."  And beyond just simply existing, there are so many small joys that weather brings all of us.  This forum seems to have a lot of angry bitterness on who's computer beats another's.  Be grateful you're alive and you can see a great snowstorm.  Be happy.  It's all we have, right?

That's what I love about nature.  I don't have a favorite season.  No matter what season, I have a favorite thing about that season.  I love the heat in the summer.  I love the cold and the snow in the winter.  I love the chaos of spring and fall.  I love watching the plants and animals react to seasons and their changes.  And when something happens in winter, I take it for what it is.  Extreme cold, a big storm, a big thaw, I think to myself, I am seeing something interesting and maybe new about Mother Nature.  People on here are so cynical and clinical about the amazing things that are happening around them.

well said

Thanks bud, all I am trying to tell people is that nature is a beautiful amazing thing and whatever they get I hope they enjoy it to the maximum.  Who knows why any of us end up with whatever we get.  I got almost 3 feet in December 2010 (Middlesex NJ local max) and have been hit by some amazing local weather phenomenom during my life.  Bottom line is do whatever you can to get out there, and exert yourself in the weather.  It's the best thing.  We should all be so grateful to be alive.  Really, how amazing is it to be a human being, and to experience weather?  Being a human being is a tremendous gift and blessing.  I love weather because being able to enjoy it, to me, means fully taking advantage of the blessings that being alive brings.  It's a beautiful thing to experience a landscape covered in snow and to appreciate a "nice little snowstorm."  And beyond just simply existing, there are so many small joys that weather brings all of us.  This forum seems to have a lot of angry bitterness on who's computer beats another's.  Be grateful you're alive and you can see a great snowstorm.  Be happy.  It's all we have, right?

That's what I love about nature.  I don't have a favorite season.  No matter what season, I have a favorite thing about that season.  I love the heat in the summer.  I love the cold and the snow in the winter.  I love the chaos of spring and fall.  I love watching the plants and animals react to seasons and their changes.  And when something happens in winter, I take it for what it is.  Extreme cold, a big storm, a big thaw, I think to myself, I am seeing something interesting and maybe new about Mother Nature.  People on here are so cynical and clinical about the amazing things that are happening around them.

This is the most beautiful thing I've read. Wow. 

Brother every day we are alive is a beautiful gift of nature.  To be hit with 31" of snow is just another extra ridiculously special thing to experience.  Be grateful, and most of all be happy.  I love weather, and all of the complexities and the unpredictable nature that comes with it.  I love these setups because as human beings so much of our experience is definitively determined and then weather comes along and blows all of it up.  A few days away from a given event, everyone is ferverishingly arguing where the low pressure will be centered and where the 0C 850 lines will set up.  It's what I love about nature.  It never gets old.

Even though I love human progress I sort of secretly hope this stuff is never solved.  Because in 50 years I get to watch a bunch of dopes excitedly argue the snow totals of the metro area.  I just love it and if you don't get weather you'll never know why.  But if you do love it, you'll know exactly why tracking these kind of storms is so much fun.

Thank you I am mainly interested in the social aspects of weather and you just encapsulated why in a most articulate fashion. I think many people here are hard science types and do not get the social importance of the weather, without which we would not have these boards. I'm sure there is some fascinating weather in the rain forests of New Guinea or a blizzard in remote parts of Canada, or even northern ME, but honestly, who really cares?  Just the experts and academics. Which is fine and great.

Woof.  I must have stayed just ahead of the mix line because there was at least 3" and probably closer to 4 when I left downtown (Soho) at 7:20 and there is easily that much here at home in Mahopac.  Just got here a few minutes ago so 2 1/2 hours for 55 miles :cry:   The roads were atrocious the whole way and the temp was steady at 29-30*.  

Archived