joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Record Breaking Cold 2/19-2/20

Windman18

• Replies 426
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Refreshing weather today, high was a comfortable 18 degrees. The dewpoint is -6. We have this delightful northerly breeze gusting up to 25mph. It has cooled down to 12 degrees. This is wonderful jebwalk weather! Snow is everywhere! Some roads are STILL snow packed! WOOT! WOOT! WOOT! WOOT!

Storm is trending colder but it looks like I get an inch of sleet then torrential rain on Sunday which should wash away all the snow. Shenandoah Valley will get crushed with 9 inches of fresh snow then a quarter inch of ice. Fitting I should get sleet then drowned in heavy rain and 49 degrees on Sunday.

My gut tells me you will get snow first, then sleet, then ZR, then rain...but that process will move faster there than areas further NW per usual. And I will bet you don't hit 49F on Sunday unless the storm is much stronger than currently forecast.

This (going back to the ubersquall) might be one of the most impressive series of weather events since I've lived here. I still can't totally wrap my mind around the cold we've seen.

Would be better with a KU in the middle.  But this many record cold temps in a 1 week stretch is something pretty rare and special in recent decades. 

This (going back to the ubersquall) might be one of the most impressive series of weather events since I've lived here. I still can't totally wrap my mind around the cold we've seen.

The main stem of the bay almost never freezes from open water to solid coverage after the first half of Feb. That is quite rare.

Would be better with a KU in the middle. But this many record cold temps in a 1 week stretch is something pretty rare and special in recent decades.

Tonight I can feel I'm totally sick of it but we might as well go for gold. I'm doing a short piece for CWG and actually this event might almost be unparalleled in some ways for the time of year. Granted it's probably just a few days later than a few others and we have huge mid Feb cold in the records but we are generally a one or two day place.. To pile on 4 big days and then general cold around it is something in peak climo let alone now. Much shorter duration but it almost feels like the opposite of 2010 summer lately.

Tonight I can feel I'm totally sick of it but we might as well go for gold. I'm doing a short piece for CWG and actually this event might almost be unparalleled in some ways for the time of year. Granted it's probably just a few days later than a few others and we have huge mid Feb cold in the records but we are generally a one or two day place.. To pile on 4 big days and then general cold around it is something in peak climo let alone now. Much shorter duration but it almost feels like the opposite of 2010 summer lately.

Not to mention we could tack on more double-digit negative days next week. 

Growing up in NY State we never had any delays for the cold, but it seems people down here in general aren't as well prepared clothingwise and may not take it as seriously...so I guess I understand.

Not sure about the delays, but in Central NY my school would close if the wind chill hit -20 or something like that. Happened once every few years or so.

It has been a wild period temps wise. To be this deep into the season and have this kind of cold is incredible. I like big cold and I like snow. The snow department has been lacking in stats but that squall on Saturday was easily a top 5 weather event in my life. It kind of wiped away some of the pain from a couple of late Jan/early Feb busts.

+1 Valentine night was one of most intense 1/2 hour of weather I've experienced in my lifetime here in Rockville.

Derecho definitely # 1.

Long tough statistical chore for someone(s) but we could set a stat for greatest recorded number of hours below 32F for a 7, 14 or 21 day interval.  For that enterprising stats individual, we could be setting records for most hours under 25F and under 20F.

Archived