joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Record Breaking Cold 2/19-2/20

Windman18

• Replies 426
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It did pretty well yesterday morning. I don't recall it throwing out crazy #s.

I'm not saying it's not overdone for tonight, but also I wouldn't surprised if a lot of places within the DC/Baltimore region go below zero.

It might not be far off but seems to be cooling everyone down extra fast. I think that's probably true that a fair number will get zero or below. 

New GFS has had issues as well and the Euro has known issues with this as well I believe.  

Yes the Euro is apparently due for an upgrade on this.. I think it's worse at range than in short term on both but certainly noticeable.. of course people peddle the 2m temps anyway like they are real. ;)

We probably won't see these type of WC's again for a while

URGENT - WINTER WEATHER MESSAGENATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE BALTIMORE MD/WASHINGTON DC1041 AM EST THU FEB 19 2015MDZ501-VAZ503-504-WVZ501-503-505-506-192345-/O.CON.KLWX.WC.W.0002.000000T0000Z-150220T1500Z/EXTREME WESTERN ALLEGANY-WESTERN HIGHLAND-EASTERN HIGHLAND-WESTERN GRANT-WESTERN MINERAL-WESTERN PENDLETON-EASTERN PENDLETON-INCLUDING THE CITIES OF...FROSTBURG...HIGHTOWN...MONTEREY...BAYARD...MOUNT STORM...ELK GARDEN...CIRCLEVILLE...FRANKLIN1041 AM EST THU FEB 19 2015...WIND CHILL WARNING REMAINS IN EFFECT UNTIL 10 AM EST FRIDAY...* WIND CHILL...20 TO 30 DEGREES BELOW ZERO THROUGH THIS  AFTERNOON...DROPPING TO 30 TO 40 DEGREES BELOW ZERO TONIGHT  INTO EARLY FRIDAY. SOME LOCATIONS ABOVE 3000 FEET WILL BE AS  COLD AS 50 DEGREES BELOW ZERO.* TEMPERATURES...HIGHS TODAY AROUND 0 TO 5 DEGREES BELOW ZERO.  LOWS TONIGHT INTO FRIDAY MORNING AROUND 10 TO 15 DEGREES BELOW  ZERO.

BWI already off 2 from the high. Down to 16.

DCA at 18 after a high of 20. Pretty impressive to get a 20 degree high at DCA this late in Feb.

If it stayed 20 it appears to be the coldest high this late in the season at DCA.. Gotta go back to 1934 for colder later at DC. 

What is the record tonight at DCA? 3 or 4? Gotta think that will be tough. It seems that these super cold forecast lows never quite live up to their potential. Maybe that's just how I like to think they work out.

8 (1896) for DCA

4 (1979) for BWI

-2 (1979) for IAD

ETA: Thanks for the correction Ian

Wow, it's 6.6°F at 4 PM in a light snow shower here in Clarksburg after a high of 12.1°F a couple of hours ago. When's have gusted two 33 mph in the snow shower

I bet you get down to -8F tonight.

It's been 17-19F all day here. 21.6F high at midnight is the warmest in the whole region. I'm going go out on a limb and say that's too warm, but whatever.

Archived