joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Record Breaking Cold 2/19-2/20

Windman18

• Replies 426
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Tonight I can feel I'm totally sick of it but we might as well go for gold. I'm doing a short piece for CWG and actually this event might almost be unparalleled in some ways for the time of year. Granted it's probably just a few days later than a few others and we have huge mid Feb cold in the records but we are generally a one or two day place.. To pile on 4 big days and then general cold around it is something in peak climo let alone now. Much shorter duration but it almost feels like the opposite of 2010 summer lately.

I think that everyone who has an audience can rightly hype this one up. This is a hyper event.

I see Baltimore set a record low high temp for the day. The previous record was set in 1903.

1903 and the 1880's records are from when there were no cars, civil war over just a decade of so ago, Titanic not sunk;not even built.

Baltimore does not suffer the temperature distortion that DCA does but all the areas have grown up. The DCA -13 that is the all time record would only occur today if IAD, BWI, Andrews were all at -25 with a 20+mph wind and full snow cover. Huge cold can be hugely impressive here at times.  Much more than 30 minutes outside tonight in shorts and a t-shirt and you are dead. I am honestly enjoying this more than Snowmaggedon as I do have solid if unspectacular snow cover and not spending 4 hours shoveling out cars and walks.

Archived