• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    e46ds1x
    Newest Member
    e46ds1x
February Banter Thread

H2O

What is interesting about a winter that will be known for it's poorly timed cold shots and storms was basically salvaged for some us by a perfectly timed cold/moisture bomb

Right into one hell of a frigid arctic dome. We got crushed by some serious bands. That was one hell of a deathband we had just before the sleet! Just raging and puking snow! It was a total trip watching that snow get driven by a SOUTH wind!

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What is interesting about a winter that will be known for it's poorly timed cold shots and storms was basically salvaged for some us by a perfectly timed cold/moisture bomb

And for some others, it was the 3-4 inches that fell in the band of snow with the Arctic front last Saturday, and at least for places east of I-95, the great Monday night snowstorm with temps in the teens. Those 2 together totaled 10" here, and with the week of Arctic air, made my winter. Yesterday was meh here.

I have the worst stomach flu that started last night. I have not been able to go any further than the bed to the bathroom and back and not had the opportunity to look out a window. but all I hear is drip drip drip drip.I hope you all stay away from this stomach virus because it is an absolute killer.I would trade one whole week with 100 degree temperature influenza rather than two days of this stomach flu nonsense

I have the worst stomach flu that started last night. I have not been able to go any further than the bed to the bathroom and back and not had the opportunity to look out a window. but all I hear is drip drip drip drip.I hope you all stay away from this stomach virus because it is an absolute killer.I would trade one whole week with 100 degree temperature influenza rather than two days of this stomach flu nonsense

i had that last month.  it was like a 2 day hangover.

Sounds nasty. Feel better fast.

But your constant negativity can make a happy person depressed.

It may appear like negativity but to the best of my knowledge it is realistic. If we sit back and reflect on how things are, we can be happy but not optimistic in the world as it exists now. There is a difference there and unfortunately the latter is often associated with hedonism, but not always.

There will always be misunderstanding because each person sees the world thru a different lense. (negative outlook or realistic)?

Why I'm not strongly against skepticism as much as it may seem. We should not be so quick to assume this is how things ought to be. However, the possibility of over-analyzing ourselves should be avoided.

http://into-mind.com/2012/05/03/optimism-vs-pessimism-vs-realism-how-to-be-a-happy-realist/

Explanatory styles: Optimists vs pessimist vs realists

We all tend to evaluate events according to three dimensions:

Internal/External - Whether we think the event was in our control

Stable/Unstable - Whether we think similar events in the future will turn out like this

Specific/Global – Whether we generalise it to other kinds of events

So you are saying you like global warmings posts :).

I only discuss relevant (applies to everyone, except some dude in Ontario) stuff. It's not like you can choose to live in your own reality. Some things are external and out of your control on an individual level. If only I could take care of the problem by myself and not contribute to alarmism.

It may appear like negativity but to the best of my knowledge it is realistic. If we sit back and reflect on how things are, we can be happy but not optimistic in the world as it exists now. There is a difference there and unfortunately the latter is often associated with hedonism, but not always.

There will always be misunderstanding because each person sees the world thru a different lense. (negative outlook or realistic)?

Why I'm not strongly against skepticism as much as it may seem. We should not be so quick to assume this is how things ought to be. However, the possibility of over-analyzing ourselves should be avoided.

http://into-mind.com/2012/05/03/optimism-vs-pessimism-vs-realism-how-to-be-a-happy-realist/

Explanatory styles: Optimists vs pessimist vs realists

We all tend to evaluate events according to three dimensions:

Internal/External - Whether we think the event was in our control

Stable/Unstable - Whether we think similar events in the future will turn out like this

Specific/Global – Whether we generalise it to other kinds of events

poast more

I only discuss relevant (applies to everyone, except some dude in Ontario) stuff. It's not like you can choose to live in your own reality. Some things are external and out of your control on an individual level. If only I could take care of the problem by myself and not contribute to alarmism.

Here's reality. Reality is earth's climate is bigger than humans, bigger than we will ever be wrt our ability to manage it. It has changed constantly since the beginning of time. The status quo you dream of maintaining isn't feasible or possible. The climate 100 years from today will be different, as will the climate 100 years from then. View yourself in the proper perspective. We are tiny, insignificant pieces. Live your life, respect the environment and other life forms as much as is possible, and stop fretting over what is clearly bigger than you.

Here's reality. Reality is earth's climate is bigger than humans, bigger than we will ever be wrt our ability to manage it. It has changed constantly since the beginning of time. The status quo you dream of maintaining isn't feasible or possible. The climate 100 years from today will be different, as will the climate 100 years from then. View yourself in the proper perspective. We are tiny, insignificant pieces. Live your life, respect the environment and other life forms as much as is possible, and stop fretting over what is clearly bigger than you.

Naive viewpoint... sounds very similar to arguments I hear from some deniers, that "we are too insignificant". Sounds nice and comforting but it's not really based on reality....

Sure, the climate has always changed and always will change for various reasons, but natural changes tend to be very slow and gradual, enough that ecosystems can steadily adapt (with a few exceptions that led to mass extinctions). But when CO2 concentrations go through the roof due to human activity, then it has the potential cause the climate to change at a rate that is highly destructive to our planet. The fact is, humans make enough of a difference that our environmental decisions as a society can make or break trillions of dollars and many, many lives.

2 climo+ winters in a row coinciding with my daughter's first 2 years of school.  Gonna have to get some 11-12/01-02/97-98 level duds in here soon or she's going to start thinking she's growing up in a snow town or something.

We must have about the same climo (I'm low-20s) and yet you are blowing me out this year.  25 vs 15 :(

Naive viewpoint... sounds very similar to arguments I hear from some deniers, that "we are too insignificant". Sounds nice and comforting but it's not really based on reality....

Sure, the climate has always changed and always will change for various reasons, but natural changes tend to be very slow and gradual, enough that ecosystems can steadily adapt (with a few exceptions that led to mass extinctions). But when CO2 concentrations go through the roof due to human activity, then it has the potential cause the climate to change at a rate that is highly destructive to our planet. The fact is, humans make enough of a difference that our environmental decisions as a society can make or break trillions of dollars and many, many lives.

LOL, keep telling yourself that.

We must have about the same climo (I'm low-20s) and yet you are blowing me out this year.  25 vs 15 :(

Sorry?  (Not sorry...) ;)  Yeah, LWX climo map has Columbia as 22", which I think is reasonable.  I don't fully trust that map, but I think it's reasonable in HoCo at least.  

Sorry?  (Not sorry...) ;)  Yeah, LWX climo map has Columbia as 22", which I think is reasonable.  I don't fully trust that map, but I think it's reasonable in HoCo at least.  

Yeah...Columbia is around the same as IAD  ~22"......Seems to me that Falls Church would be more like 19-20" but maybe that is splitting hairs....What is Vienna's ~30 year average?  

Archived