Gonzalo00
    Newest Member
    Gonzalo00
February Banter Thread

H2O

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What is weird really.....the fact that I have interacted with many of you on these boards for over 11 years or so....mind boggling...it has been a ton of fun and I have a lot of great memories

My suburbs brother who lives near the adopted kid.

I'm not that old--just turned 33. But I was always the young one in the group so that's been an evolution in things the past few years.. lots of smart young folks now, most with way better training etc heh. I think it was mostly seeing it dump snow in the Sierra as like a 7-12 year old that really got me into weather. I found my way into weather groups on AOL and Compuserve as soon as I got my own computer in the mid-90s in TX then found the crew including Randy and DT and others about 1998 on usenet when I moved to CT. So it's been a long while. Almost everything I know has been gleaned from these forums and the places prior.. definitely a valuable tool if you are committed to learning.

One thing I noticed is that certain areas have clusters of weather enthusiasts. I don't subscribe to the Bob Chill genetic theory. Instead, some climate zones spark the interest of potential weather weenies. Why I am adamant in believing DC has the most diverse and enjoyable climate on the Earth. There are caveats tho.

There are no weather freaks in say, Russia or South Africa. The worst place to live for weather are Europe and the West Coast. (outside the mountains?) 

Personally, like Ian. I had lived in Texas for some time and then Florida. I have a deep appreciation for warm season weather as a result.

One thing I noticed is that certain areas have clusters of weather enthusiastists. I don't subscribe to the Bob Chill genetic theory. Instead, some climate zones spark the interest of potential weather weenies. Why I am adamant in believing DC has the most diverse and enjoyable climate on the Earth. There are caveats tho.

There are no weather freaks in say, Russia or South Africa. The worst place to live for weather are Europe and the West Coast.

I think there's some genetic component... I feel that I was predisposed have a passion for natural sciences. When I was 9, I became really obsessed with space and astronomy. It was only a matter of time until something also triggered my interest in weather. That's just how I am.

I agree with Ian, I think interest in meteorology is usually sparked while young by some event that leaves an lasting impression.

I've always been sort of interested in the weather. I grew up watching The Weather Channel as a kid (this was back in the 90s, when it was actually good). I can't really say what sparked that habit, but I think it had something to do with growing up and living in Las Vegas, which is pretty interesting in terms of weather. My sister was born in August, and I always remembered that she would more than often get a monsoon storm on her birthday, which always pissed her off. ;) In fact, in 2002 or so, we actually drove past a funnel cloud descending on North Las Vegas airport on our way to her birthday party...that was pretty cool. I've been pretty much a snowlover my entire life too. My parents instilled the idea that snow was incredibly rare for the desert climate from a young age, and family trips to Mt. Charleston during the winter was always a highlight. Like my signature quote says, it was like being transported to an entirely different world. I think one time in 2003, when I was in middle school, everyone literally rushed outside and jumped for joy when it started snowing during lunch. It was like magic for us. Weather has been pretty much one of my intellectual interests for my entire life.

I found this board through Capital Weather Gang, which I actually started following in 2010 during the February storm. I was in Reno at the time for college and I found the idea of a 30" snowstorm in DC absolutely amazing. So CWG was naturally my first landing spot when I moved here in 2013. It's been a pretty fun ride with both this board and CWG, to say the least.

ETA: I think you are the same age as me, Fozz.

I think there's some genetic component... I feel that I was predisposed have a passion for natural sciences. When I was 9, I became really obsessed with space and astronomy. It was only a matter of time until something also triggered my interest in weather. That's just how I am.

There is probably some truth to what you are saying. The answer most often resides in the middle ground. I think certain people have personality traits that attract them to this field of interest. Life experiences are a deep trigger for potential interests tho.

One aspect that has puzzled me is being an introvert who enjoys weather. Introverts tend to avoid external stimulus.

There is probably some truth to what you are saying. The answer most often resides in the middle ground. I think certain people have personality traits that attract them to this field of interest. Life experiences are a deep trigger for potential interests tho.

Good point. Personality traits and a trigger is the most likely combo. I'm a thrill seeker by nature. Not reckless but definitely look to pump the adrenaline. I've owned motorcylces, gone skydiving, whitewater rafting, jumped off too many cliffs into water or on skis to be considered sane, and love all thrill rides. Rough seas are fun and so are big waves. It all ties in. Weather can be quite exciting. All severe chasers are thrill seekers to some degree. 

Weather weenies seek the rush of an event. It's not for everyone and genetic personality definitely has something to do with it but a trigger is required. 

I loved watching TWC when Paul Kocin was there. Even as I write this years later I smile like a fool thinking about the times his maps would tick just a little north or south to include mby in the 12-24 zone.

I think I remember watching TWC on some of those big snowstorm days for the Mid-Atlantic...I think I recall following what was happening during the 1996 blizzard, but some of fondest memories were being glued to the TV during hurricane season.

I loved watching TWC when Paul Kocin was there. Even as I write this years later I smile like a fool thinking about the times his maps would tick just a little north or south to include mby in the 12-24 zone.

ETA: I didn't even know how legendary he was. I just knew I could bank on a big storm if he started upping everyone's totals.

I grew up watching him on TWC. I'd mute the TV during the forecasts and do the forecast in front of the TV as if that was the green screen. And I would draw maps of ideal low pressure noreasters. I was (am) such a nerd. ;)

I grew up watching him on TWC. I'd mute the TV during the forecasts and do the forecast in front of the TV as if that was the green screen. And I would draw maps of ideal low pressure noreasters. I was (am) such a nerd. ;)

I've been watching TWC since 1985. That was the "go to" place for radar in the 90's. I remember their hurricane expert, John Hope. I was bummed when he retired. He was the man back in the day.

For some reason, I'm not seeing images on some posts when I'm on my computer here at work (I can see them on my phone).  I understand if some images are blocked and I get an X telling me that, but I can at least see that there's an image there.  Even if I go to quote the post, there's no image or link to an image in that quote.  Strange.

For some reason, I'm not seeing images on some posts when I'm on my computer here at work (I can see them on my phone).  I understand if some images are blocked and I get an X telling me that, but I can at least see that there's an image there.  Even if I go to quote the post, there's no image or link to an image in that quote.  Strange.

Clear your coochie

Archived