2004-05 - 136%

2005-06 - 129%

2006-07 - 142%

2007-08 - 143%

2008-09 - 137%

2009-10 - 120%

2010-11 - 124%

2011-12 - 113%

2012-13 - Was in Old Town (somehow managed 5" versus DCA's 3.1")

New Location - 

2013-14 - 114%

2014-15 - 114% so far

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

meh -- i know that sparky and highstakes both at some point during events will say "eyeballing", but then give a measurement later. I can only assume they go out and actually measure. I just dont take the "eyeballing" part seriously. 

Everyone measures differently -- i try to measure every hour. clear every six. saturday was a pain as my snow board spot was definitely being impacted by wind, so had to abandon that and measure on the driveway. even measuring on the driveway, i measured in three to four spots. away from the cars. 

i may be slightly OCD though. 

Yup, only use eyeballing in the obs thread to give a quick update as to where we stand. Always go out and do an accurate final measurement before entering storm totals in the official measurement thread. During bigger events I will go out and measure several times. When I do the final measurement I actually use up to 5 different locations around the house and take the average. This past storm was really tough because we had a ton of wind so I rely on area spotters to make sure I'm in line.

I do however round up and down. I probably should get away from this method but that's how I've always done it. You will see the majority of my measurements end in 0 or .5. For instance if I measure 7.1 I will record 7 and 7.4 I will record 7.5. Usually I won't record any small events that are less than .5. In the end everything usually averages out fairly

It doesn't matter that much....average doesn't mean a whole lot when our medians are so low....your median is probably 20"  :lol:

Good call... I took the totals for my area since 2001-02 (some of them were educated guesses based on available data/reports), and came up with a 13-year median of 20.5"

Yup, only use eyeballing in the obs thread to give a quick update as to where we stand. Always go out and do an accurate final measurement before entering storm totals in the official measurement thread. During bigger events I will go out and measure several times. When I do the final measurement I actually use up to 5 different locations around the house and take the average. This past storm was really tough because we had a ton of wind so I rely on area spotters to make sure I'm in line.

I do however round up and down. I probably should get away from this method but that's how I've always done it. You will see the majority of my measurements end in 0 or .5. For instance if I measure 7.1 I will record 7 and 7.4 I will record 7.5. Usually I won't record any small events that are less than .5. In the end everything usually averages out fairly

I only round when its .25 or .75, then I go .3/.8 otherwise I try to stay true to the measurement.

Regardless, your measurements always seem fine.

The one thing about Ian I have a hard time wrapping my head around is that he's been on weather boards since before i was born and I'm 10 years older than him.

I invented the Internet solely to talk about weather with nerds.

I invented the Internet solely to talk about weather with nerds.

Without the net I would never have known how massive the weather nerd population is. It's always nice to know you aren't alone. Living inside my nerdglobe for all those years was lonely. Obviously, by having 18k+ posts on amwx alone, it's pretty clear I needed place to let it all out. 

Without the net I would never have known how massive the weather nerd population is. It's always nice to know you aren't alone. Living inside my nerdglobe for all those years was lonely. Obviously, by having 18k+ posts on amwx alone, it's pretty clear I needed place to let it all out.

Now that's the straight up truth. Until I discovered this board I thought I was a freak. Now I realize I'm just one of many freaks.

Yes that's been a real eye opener. Even just the last 2 decades (getting old. :( ) online.. huge change. Started off a handful of weirdos and now there are too many to count. I think that's probably the case in a lot of previously small subcultures but weather is really big--everyone is a weenie to some degree. Was actually thinking about this in a similar light today as I hear Columbia is starting a new initiative on weather.. it's huge overall now. I did a podcast recently and went into some of that too. http://itsalljournalism.com/133-texas-storms-spark-love-weather/

Yes that's been a real eye opener. Even just the last 2 decades (getting old. :( ) online.. huge change. Started off a handful of weirdos and now there are too many to count. I think that's probably the case in a lot of previously small subcultures but weather is really big--everyone is a weenie to some degree. Was actually thinking about this in a similar light today as I hear Columbia is starting a new initiative on weather.. it's huge overall now. I did a podcast recently and went into some of that too. http://itsalljournalism.com/133-texas-storms-spark-love-weather/

you sure don't look old. You must've gotten hooked early.

My weather fascination started in middle school, but I didn't discover eastern until 09/10.

I think it's hard wiring to some extent and not strictly environmental or parental. My parents didn't care about weather unless we were boating. Neither did my friends or relatives. It was all me. Calling 936-1212 at least 5 times every day just because. Standing in the driveway as thunderstorms approached. Dying for snow all winter. Wind/rain/snow/tropical, it didn't matter. If something interesting was going to happen I wanted to be there. Started well before I was 10 years old. 

In the 70's all we had was news/noaa/nws. I had a noaa radio that I listened to every day starting probably in 3rd grade. When I was in college i bought a used met textbook just for fun. Didn't even take a met class but read the damn thing anyway. 

Skiing changed my weather life. I was such an addict. Powder skiing is the purest drug known to man in my opinion but timing was critical. Planning my work schedule around potential powder days drove me to an obsession about snow. Colorado Avalanche Information Center (CAIC) had a hotline just like the 936-1212 days. 10 minute recording updated twice a day explaining in detail how storms would evolve. Learned so much from them that I donated every year while I was out west. After 2 seasons I had to it a tee for our county. 

I let it all go when I moved back in 99 but the winter of 02-03 had me fired right back up. PDII was so awesome. Been chasing east coast snow ever since. We are one strange group but there are much worse things in life to spend time on. I'll take the euro/gfs runs over video games any day. lol

I think it's hard wiring to some extent and not strictly environmental or parental. My parents didn't care about weather unless we were boating. Neither did my friends or relatives. It was all me. Calling 936-1212 at least 5 times every day just because. Standing in the driveway as thunderstorms approached. Dying for snow all winter. Wind/rain/snow/tropical, it didn't matter. If something interesting was going to happen I wanted to be there. Started well before I was 10 years old. 

This sounds a lot like me.   I know I was fascinated by thunderstorms and snow by the age of 5 or 6....but my dad had some interest in weather and he seemed to notice and encourage my own interest a bit.

Even my uncle's soon to be wife's mother, who lived in Miami, caught wind of my fascination with the weather and would send me articles from the Miami Herald if a hurricane hit that area just because she knew I would enjoy a simple newspaper article on a hurricane.   Hurricane Inez is one I recall getting from her.   I am not real IMBY about the hurricanes so I ate up anything she would send me.

Amen brother. All these years I just thought I was a strange dude. My neighbors probally thought i was too lol. You know.. staring at street lights at night waiting for the first flake. Or riding my bike down the street to watch thunderstorms moving in from the west. The other kids didn't understand why I was always looking at the sky or staring out the window while at school (I was the kid that caused the teacher to shut the blinds while it was snowing).

I definitely agree with Bob. It has to be hard wired in. No one in my family gave a sh!+ about weather. They thought I was crazy when they found me outside at 4am standing in the driveway during the blizzard of 93. They were going to take me to a shrink lol. I'm not just into snow. I'm obsessed with every type of weather. Especially snow/cold, thunderstorms, definitely really big into hurricanes, floods, it doesn't matter. I love it all.

I have no story of a storm or an experience that triggered my love for weather/nature. It's just a part of who I am. It's been that way ever since I can remember.

you sure don't look old. You must've gotten hooked early.

My weather fascination started in middle school, but I didn't discover eastern until 09/10.

I'm not that old--just turned 33. But I was always the young one in the group so that's been an evolution in things the past few years.. lots of smart young folks now, most with way better training etc heh. I think it was mostly seeing it dump snow in the Sierra as like a 7-12 year old that really got me into weather. I found my way into weather groups on AOL and Compuserve as soon as I got my own computer in the mid-90s in TX then found the crew including Randy and DT and others about 1998 on usenet when I moved to CT. So it's been a long while. Almost everything I know has been gleaned from these forums and the places prior.. definitely a valuable tool if you are committed to learning.

My interest in weather started when I was 11, actually very suddenly, right around the time I heard about Buffalo's epic LES blitz around Christmas 2001. Since then I never looked back, and by the time I was 12, I was looking through BWI's weather records on the LWX page during the miserable summer of 2002 to see what kinds of winters a hot summer will lead to.... and then July 1995 stood out to me :weenie:

I started telling people at the height of the July/August heat waves that we might have a cold and snowy winter... total wishcast by a 12 year old kid who was sick of drought, heat, and the absence of snow (this was right after 01-02), but the rest is history... sometimes a wishcast comes true. The following winter completely stunned me right from the beginning of December, with 8" of snow, a low of 6 just two night later, and a moderate ice storm all in the span of a week, and all before winter even started, which is why to this day I remember 12/5/2002 so fondly.

Overall I was alone in my passion for weather, I mostly liked snow but also enjoyed severe and hurricanes, and that has never really changed. I joined Eastern in 2008, and initially I wasn't liked but I found a handful of friends early on... took several years to mature a bit but I'm glad to be part of this community around people who love this stuff as much as I do

On phone so can't quote you Bob but interesting story. I always try to ask people what got them into weather. You may be right that it's something we are born with.. ;)... But there does seem to be a trigger in youth for most people. Honestly for me I think I was initially more drawn to geology and earthquake science and it eventually became a love for weather. On the East Coast and Midwest it seems a lot of people have a story as a kid of a big hurricane, blizzard, tornado, etc that made it clear at least.

I think I sold my dad short. I did some thinking and he loved "good sleeping" weather. Chased canadian cold fronts in the fall. Sleeping with the windows open was important to him. I doubt it's a coincidence that my favorite month is Oct.

My earliest snow memories are from when I was 3. Lived in Connecticut then before moving to MD. We had a great sledding hill in the yard and I remember it clearly even though I was so young. That connection of snow + fun at a young age may in fact be the seed that grew into an unruly field of snowy weeds in my mind.

Time to get out of my head. It's scaring me

I can remember vividly staring out of the window during a snow over Christmas break, watching snow gradually pile up enough to cover a basketball. That was 1969 and I can remember it like it was yesterday. I have no memory in life when I wasn't just transfixed by snow.

In high school, we had a police scanner. You could buy a little transistor to put in it that would give you a NWS broadcast. I can remember tuning in about 10:30 or 11 am/pm, can't remember the exact time, when they would give an updated forecast. It was the NWS office out of Jackson Ky. They would always do a synopsis of the latest forecast thinking. Great memories.

Archived