joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
February Banter Thread

H2O

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

One of my mom's friends asked me for a forecast for all of I-95 last night as she was driving home from Florida.  And she is a lovely lady so I did it, but it took me 30 minutes to analyze models and read forecast discussions, etc to try and give her decent info.  And even after all that, I told her I really can't predict traffic/road conditions because I didn't want her to rely on me to make travel decisions.  

Why not just send her links to the major NWS offices/text forecasts up 95, and suggest that she download the Waze app?

Would have saved you some time.

Perhaps I came across poorly, but I thought the reaction was weird as I am the total opposite of someone who covets or resents other people's snow...Given how well I know my climo and that I choose to live where I live, my expectations are perfectly calibrated.  I am incredibly uncompetitive when it comes to snow totals.  I embrace what I get and enjoy the living sh-it out of it. All I care about is maintaining a statistical body of work and integrity in  how I measure.  Nothing is worse than when the person who averages 18" talks about getting screwed when they get 4" and the person who averages 35" gets 8".  Ummm..There is a reason your average is 18".  The only thing that is screwing you is your choice about where you live.   The only time I get sore is when there is an epic bust and I get completely shut out.  12/10/13 I was definitely disappointed because I was under a warning and I basically got a cartopper.  And my recollection is the Carroll/Baltimore County crew was butthurt because I wasn't over the moon at how well they doing.  I was ruining their snow because of my bad attitude.  There is a big difference between when someone complains about getting 3" when the forecast was 3-6" and someone gets 0.5" when they were under a warning.  I don't ever expect someone to be joyful when they get no snow and it was an epic forecast fail (they happen).  As irrational as it may be, when someone gets shutout, you let them stew.  There is way too much competition about snow.  If snow falls and sticks and I get 4" and someone else gets 7" it really isnt that big of a deal. I'm like a pig in **** when it snows.  I was up at 5:30 today (usually I get up like 8/8:30) just to experience it.  I do this for every storm.  I am the real deal when it comes to snow. I love it.

I know you love snow, I'd like to believe all of us here love snow with the amount of time we spend (or waste) tracking it, discussing it, and even crying about it. I wasn't trying to say you did anything wrong necessarily. Just used you as an example because I like you and know how passionate you are about it. 

But I totally agree that there is too much competition about snow. More often than not it is whose snow dick is bigger. Which seems kind of silly, but it is what it is. I was speaking mainly about myself and how last year on numerous occasions, I felt unwelcome to post in the forum I belong to because I was getting snow while others south of me were not. With that, I understand where some in the other "NOT DC" threads are coming from. 

I haven't been super involved in the forum recently, not like I use to. And I am certainly trying to see the bigger picture in a lot of things, given how the last six months of my life have been. But even I have let it get to me. Seeing people south of me cash in while I'm praying for 2-3. I try to remind myself that in the end, it is only the weather. I can't control it so I just need to enjoy whatever happens. 

It's sad to hear that DCers are being called asshats and others are posting long epic rants. In the end, we should all get along and enjoy the snow we get, regardless of who jackpots. 

Probably a terrible idea for me to get involved in this "Not DC/NOVA" discussion. As you can see, I'm an epic lurker. Only a 100 some odd posts over 5 years, but a few things I've noticed.

First, there has always been a CVA/SEVA thread. There was at the beginning of this year too. At some point a new thread was created called "Not DC/NOVA" that started this whole firestorm, and the original thread was removed as they were now duplicative.

Second, the tone of the new thread is completely different from all the CVA/SEVA threads that have come before. That said, I've seen a lot of posts about how essentially everyone in the thread is ranting and raving wants to start a war with DCers. That's just not true. A lot of the people in that thread are the same ones that have always been in the CVA/SEVA threads and have been making completely normal posts around models, obs, etc.

Third, the reason for the thread is because, and let's be honest, DC and RIC can both rarely "succeed" together when it comes to snow. For us to do well, we need a southern slider that hoses a lot of you. For you guys to do well, I get rain. It's just the way it is. I don't condone the crazy posts that have gone on in there, but I think the original reasons for why the threads were created years ago is completely valid.

Finally, I've seen a lot of posts about climo and why anyone in RIC would be unhappy. That isn't the point for us. The reason why us Richmonders always seem down about our snow is because a successful storm for us can be run of the mill for you guys at times. Take 2010 as an example. January 30, 2010 was great for us. I got about 12". A few days later, I watched rain fall while an hour and a half north people were getting 24-36" totals from snowmageddon. In RIC, there is always a desire for the "big one" which we never seem to get. I forget the stat, but it's been a decade-plus since RIC has reported more than 12". I understand that this is not rational, as beating climo should be seen as a great year, but the proximity of RIC to what can be much snowier places is what makes it tough.

If I were living in South Carolina, I wouldn't care. I would take snow when I could get it. What makes RIC so brutal is that you can be as little as 50 miles away from a HECS. It is the ultimate "so close but so far" city when it comes to truly big storms. That is the key to understanding the mentality of a lot of people down here.

Sorry for the essay.

I may catch some flack for saying this, but IMO it is distasteful to openly root for someone south of you to get screwed, especially if they're part of our forum (and yes, Richmond is part of our forum). Yeah, we all want snow in our backyards, I get that.... but there's a big difference between rooting against a place like SNE that routinely gets snow, and a place like Richmond that seems to miss out most of the time. 

I know if someone from Boston or Connecticut wished for the mid-Atlantic to get screwed, I might view him as a d-bag... but if someone from Raleigh wished the same, I'd just shrug it off.

Probably a terrible idea for me to get involved in this "Not DC/NOVA" discussion. As you can see, I'm an epic lurker. Only a 100 some odd posts over 5 years, but a few things I've noticed.

Life as a snow weenie in Richmond is the ultimate tease.

Just enough to keep you coming back year after year, but not nearly enough to satisfy.

I may catch some flack for saying this, but IMO it is distasteful to openly root for someone south of you to get screwed, especially if they're part of our forum (and yes, Richmond is part of our forum). Yeah, we all want snow in our backyards, I get that.... but there's a big difference between rooting against a place like SNE that routinely gets snow, and a place like Richmond that seems to miss out most of the time. 

I know if someone from Boston or Connecticut wished for the mid-Atlantic to get screwed, I might view him as a d-bag... but if someone from Raleigh wished the same, I'd just shrug it off.

I'd root against snow at zwyt's house if it meant a band was parked over me and he was on the edge. 

That's different... you and him are best buds.

I still don't totally follow your reasoning. None of us are rubbing anything in anyone's faces. I equally root for Boston and RIC to fail if it means I win. And it's supposed to snow more the further north you go in general... so a Boston snow is less painful than a Hampton Roads snow.. if both are missed here.  This is a very silly issue. ;) 

In RIC, there is always a desire for the "big one" which we never seem to get. I forget the stat, but it's been a decade-plus since RIC has reported more than 12".

This is what I hear all the time, and is really only half true.  At my central Powhatan home, barely 15 miles west of Midlothian, we've received the following "roughly 12" events" in the past decade.

March 2009

December 2009

January 30 2010 (15")

February 16, 2015 ( the "official" co-op Powhatan spotter reported 11.5", it was certified by AKQ and became the high achiever regionally for the event).

This also assumes there wasn't a single 12" or close measurement in 2013-14, I honestly can't remember but thinking there probably wasn't one.  But several noteworthy storms for sure.

So that's 4 events in the past 10 years off the top of my head.  And I can probably guess what you are thinking, it certainly didn't snow that much at RIC and probably not that much in Short Pump, Midlothian et al.  It's kind of like last Saturday, when I measured close to 12" in Leesburg and DCA measured I think 3" or something close too it.  Same thing.  But it's not the same as saying RIC is getting constantly getting screwed, and DC gets all the snow.  Same thing happens climactically in both places, it's just different people complaining and the regional bickering is both foolish and not rooted in actual data or observations.

Archived