Newest Member
    joxey
February Banter Thread

H2O

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Also -- the mini-regionalism within this forum is kind of lol

while I know that people like Bob are joking about making a portion of the forum for anyone living north of 70, the fact that two threads had to be made because lower eastern shore people, and southern VA people felt they couldn't post in the big pinned threads.... is sort of sad. 

while I know that people like Bob are joking about making a portion of the forum for anyone living north of 70, the fact that two threads had to be made because lower eastern shore people, and southern VA people felt they couldn't post in the big pinned threads.... is sort of sad. 

not sure on this one.. the southern guys have always kept to themselves. no one forced that upon them and clearly they have issues with some of us. i don't even know who half of them are. 

not sure on this one.. the southern guys have always kept to themselves. no one forced that upon them and clearly they have issues with some of us. i don't even know who half of them are. 

I probably don't know the full story. One day multiple new threads with "regions" showed up, and then DCers were called asshats. :shrug:

but... i know last year, personally, i felt that if i posted about my snow, while you were getting rain, i was going to get punched by matt. ;) 

I probably don't know the full story. One day multiple new threads with "regions" showed up, and then DCers were called asshats. :shrug:

but... i know last year, personally, i felt that if i posted about my snow, while you were getting rain, i was going to get punched by matt. ;)

Snow is an IMBY sport.. we all want to finish with the most but some people like you usually do and it makes people who don't feel sad. 

Snow is an IMBY sport.. we all want to finish with the most but some people like you usually do and it makes people who don't feel sad. 

i understand that -- trust me. it sucks that places south are doing better than me this year, especially coming off such a fantastic winter. 

but, do i make them feel unwelcome? no, i don't think so. but, if we are being honest, i did feel unwelcome numerous times last year. that i couldnt post my obs in storm threads because places south of me was getting shafted. while no one ever told me to go away or shut up, the negative responses can sometimes be quite jarring. 

so a part of me understands why some in the two other threads feel they cannot post in the larger pinned threads. snow is very much IMBY. I guess maybe, some of us, need to not be so damn mean about it? i dunno. 

I can't speak for the Richmond thread but as for our SoMD/Lower Shore thread... we're not trying to compete with you guys or anything. Most of us also read and post in the main threads too. We started the thread just because Southern MD and Lower Shore have a similar climo, which is much different than DC/Balt (if this winter doesn't prove that, nothing will). There aren't too many of us so a lot of times we're kinda lost in the shuffle. And its fun having a spot to discuss storms in our area. I asked WxUASF ahead of time before starting it as we're not trying to create some regional rivalry or whatever. 

It shouldn't be that areas and posters are chastised or made to fell like they are not part of a region due to them just happening to live in more/less favored areas for weather.  If things hit areas near by better than IMBy, so what?  I will always hope to get as much as possible but if it isn't gonna happen then no need to take it out on areas that do.

There is no doubt this is a DC/Balt centered subforum but when storms hit places around us then I want them to participate.  Good things come from all trying to enjoy this dumb hobby without sh*tting on others just because they do better.

I can't speak for the Richmond thread but as for our SoMD/Lower Shore thread... we're not trying to compete with you guys or anything. Most of us also read and post in the main threads too. We started the thread just because Southern MD and Lower Shore have a similar climo, which is much different than DC/Balt (if this winter doesn't prove that, nothing will). There aren't too many of us so a lot of times we're kinda lost in the shuffle. And its fun having a spot to discuss storms in our area. I asked WxUASF ahead of time before starting it as we're not trying to create some regional rivalry or whatever. 

good to know! i admitted that i probably didn't know the whole story. i didn't :)

I've seen this kind of behavior before and I know what this forum needs. We need to expose ourselves and dare to to be vulnerable. We need to tear down the walls of isolation that surround us as individuals and be more open with our feelings and emotions. We need to learn to not let our insecurities drive us and to accept each other as unique and special.

We need a Challenge Day.

This is a big subforum as we all know. I see no issue with southern MD/Lower eastern shore having a thread. Often it is a different world there in winter, and lots of times in the main storm threat discussions etc, "we" and "us" is thrown around and as we know, that doesnt really work. As far as the SE VA thread, I dunno, as that area is really not a part of the Mid Atlantic subforum. Gotta question the motivation for it being here, and the thread title. It should be in the SE subforum.

Archived