• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
February Banter Thread

H2O

It shouldn't be that areas and posters are chastised or made to fell like they are not part of a region due to them just happening to live in more/less favored areas for weather. If things hit areas near by better than IMBy, so what? I will always hope to get as much as possible but if it isn't gonna happen then no need to take it out on areas that do.

There is no doubt this is a DC/Balt centered subforum but when storms hit places around us then I want them to participate. Good things come from all trying to enjoy this dumb hobby without sh*tting on others just because they do better.

+1

Snow is serious bidness, but not that serious.....

MDstorm

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

i think part of why people see others as being rude is due to them trying too hard to fit in.  

personally, i don't care.  if someone reads my 2 cent posts, they can.  if they don't, they don't have to.  if a mod wants to delete my post because it sounds like i'm talking out of my arse, they can.  if they don't, cool.  i learned trying to make everyone like you isn't just going to make you crazy, but i'm not even sure it's possible.  you'd be better off chasing your own tail.

It shouldn't be that areas and posters are chastised or made to fell like they are not part of a region due to them just happening to live in more/less favored areas for weather.  If things hit areas near by better than IMBy, so what?  I will always hope to get as much as possible but if it isn't gonna happen then no need to take it out on areas that do.

There is no doubt this is a DC/Balt centered subforum but when storms hit places around us then I want them to participate.  Good things come from all trying to enjoy this dumb hobby without sh*tting on others just because they do better.

I'm still confused.. no one cares they have their own thread. But they started it by circlejerking that we're a bunch of asshats and they can't stand us. 

I kinda like the separate threads for the different climos. I enjoyed reading the southern MD thread and the red-tagger insight for this one.

Me too. I feel bad for the folks who suck even worse than we do at winter. Can you imagine being lumped into an area that doesn't do winter well and realizing that you're the JV team of that sucky region?

This is a big subforum as we all know. I see no issue with southern MD/Lower eastern shore having a thread. Often it is a different world there in winter, and lots of times in the main storm threat discussions etc, "we" and "us" is thrown around and as we know, that doesnt really work. As far as the SE VA thread, I dunno, as that area is really not a part of the Mid Atlantic subforum. Gotta question the motivation for it being here, and the thread title. It should be in the SE subforum.

It's not really a SE VA thread. It is a thread for all of Virginia outside of NOVA. The title was obviously created to antagonize but then again I did not create the thread. SW/Central and to a slightly lesser extent SE VA climo would stick out like a sore thumb in the SE subforum. Not saying we are a snow town, but climo for me is ~14 inches.

To be fair, we've had a SW/SE/Central VA thread going for as long as I can remember (I joined Eastern around ~2007) so I don't think the initial goal was to get away from DC/Balt posters or anything like that. It was really for the same reasons that the S/E MD people created their own thread. I've gained plenty of insight over the years from the DC/Balt posters and still try to post obs as often as possible.

A lot of the VA posters have migrated to Facebook over the past few years. We have a massive group and a smaller chat featuring three really good mets (two from CHO and one from RIC). That is probably the reason many of us aren't as active on here anymore. The numbers work well for us and we enjoy the platform. Really as simple as that.

Here's to a great finish to winter!

Well, looks like I've missed all the 'fun' this afternoon...... :axe:

Seriously, I (and I'll throw disc and a few others here in SWVA) are 100's of miles from the 'main' body of this forum. I could care less who gets what and when, I try to enjoy that others are cashing in, I just like to participate when it involves my area. I thought we were all here because we liked weather? :unsure:

Sure it can be frustrating when someone is getting 10 inches of snow and it is raining at your location, but the dynamics causing should be interesting to you, not anger or revenge......that is plain silly. 

As Ian has posted, we over the years have kinda gotten used to each others uniqueness and that actually is part of the fun of it, interacting. Maybe I'm looking at it wrong, but each of us 'joined' to share a passion and maybe learn some stuff, plus maybe get to know a few people that have that same desire. That last part involves sharing a bit about each other, being willing to participate and knowing where and when to joke and whatnot with each other. Am I 'off' here or am I missing something?

This is a big subforum as we all know. I see no issue with southern MD/Lower eastern shore having a thread. Often it is a different world there in winter, and lots of times in the main storm threat discussions etc, "we" and "us" is thrown around and as we know, that doesnt really work. As far as the SE VA thread, I dunno, as that area is really not a part of the Mid Atlantic subforum. Gotta question the motivation for it being here, and the thread title. It should be in the SE subforum.

Lol

Strongly disagree

No no fozz SE va should be posting with Alabama and Florida peeps in the southeastern forum!!

You can post where you want obviously. SE VA has basically the same climo as NE NC, and that area  is in the SE subforum. And as far as the thread being here, whatever I could care less, but the "antagonistic" title and tone of some of the posts seems to have been an attempt to bait DC area folks.

I'm still confused.. no one cares they have their own thread. But they started it by circlejerking that we're a bunch of asshats and they can't stand us. 

First shots were probably fired by some up our way leading up to this most recent event.  I don't know what was said exactly but if there were general posts saying that places south were stealing snow or them getting 8" was a kick to the nuts then that might have started any sort of resentment.

It could have been interpreted as unfriendly to those areas only +/- 90 miles away hence that reaction.  

I wish they wouldn't call us asshats, asswipes or anything like that so that part is regrettable to me and certainly doesn't help.  But i understand how any implied resentment from people in our area, over possible snow, can make some feel like another place for them to discuss things is needed.  

I'm glad they made a thread.  Maybe thats how they need to do it from now on cause as you said snow is very IMBY and our DC/Balt convo doesn't cover them well enough.  I don't hold anything against them for speaking their minds.  Hell, we've all vented at times over things that don't sit well.  

I'm still an assnapkin tho.  That is indisputable.  :wub:

You can post where you want obviously. SE VA has basically the same climo as NE NC, and that area  is in the SE subforum. And as far as the thread being here, whatever I could care less, but the "antagonistic" title and tone of some of the posts seems to have been an attempt to bait DC area folks.

and Philly has climo that is close to ours as well

I didnt make the regional subforums lol, was  just pointing out that SE VA is not included in the Mid Atlantic region here, on this site.

Hampton Roads is kinda borderline, but Richmond climo probably has more in common with the southern and eastern reaches of DC metro than with Raleigh or Charlotte.

I probably don't know the full story. One day multiple new threads with "regions" showed up, and then DCers were called asshats. :shrug:

but... i know last year, personally, i felt that if i posted about my snow, while you were getting rain, i was going to get punched by matt. ;)

Perhaps I came across poorly, but I thought the reaction was weird as I am the total opposite of someone who covets or resents other people's snow...Given how well I know my climo and that I choose to live where I live, my expectations are perfectly calibrated.  I am incredibly uncompetitive when it comes to snow totals.  I embrace what I get and enjoy the living sh-it out of it. All I care about is maintaining a statistical body of work and integrity in  how I measure.  Nothing is worse than when the person who averages 18" talks about getting screwed when they get 4" and the person who averages 35" gets 8".  Ummm..There is a reason your average is 18".  The only thing that is screwing you is your choice about where you live.   The only time I get sore is when there is an epic bust and I get completely shut out.  12/10/13 I was definitely disappointed because I was under a warning and I basically got a cartopper.  And my recollection is the Carroll/Baltimore County crew was butthurt because I wasn't over the moon at how well they doing.  I was ruining their snow because of my bad attitude.  There is a big difference between when someone complains about getting 3" when the forecast was 3-6" and someone gets 0.5" when they were under a warning.  I don't ever expect someone to be joyful when they get no snow and it was an epic forecast fail (they happen).  As irrational as it may be, when someone gets shutout, you let them stew.  There is way too much competition about snow.  If snow falls and sticks and I get 4" and someone else gets 7" it really isnt that big of a deal. I'm like a pig in **** when it snows.  I was up at 5:30 today (usually I get up like 8/8:30) just to experience it.  I do this for every storm.  I am the real deal when it comes to snow. I love it.

Hampton Roads is kinda borderline, but Richmond probably has more in common with the southern and eastern reaches of DC metro than with Raleigh or Charlotte.

Richmond is generally considered to be Central VA. And over the last 20 or so winters, their climo has become quite disparate from that of N VA and most of MD.

That thread was made like a month ago so you're wrong H20 but good effort. ;)

Again don't care but still hard pressed to figure out how we started it up north. The southern folks have almost never posted in the main threads and mostly at their own choosing. But to spin this as them righting a wrong we served doesn't make sense. Some of them just dont like some of us. Whatevs.

Archived