amirah5
    Newest Member
    amirah5
Winter Med Range Discussion days 3-10 pbp II

buckeyefan1

• Replies 3.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

FWIW, a lot of the 12z GFS ensembles were well South of the operational for the Friday night/Sat. Storm.  Several of them throw precip well into SC and Eastern NC.

I honestly think the 12z CMC is more realistic. Keeps it cold and throws moisture over but not a ton of it. I honestly don't see how we get a good fetch out of this one....but I also think the models are not handling the entrenched cold in the area. 

I honestly think the 12z CMC is more realistic. Keeps it cold and throws moisture over but not a ton of it. I honestly don't see how we get a good fetch out of this one....but I also think the models are not handling the entrenched cold in the area. 

I might be wrong but I think this could be one of those setups where you get a finger of precip racing out much farther east and faster than the models projected..

It's definitely a weird setup though.  It's like combination of warm air advection out of the gulf along with a northern stream system that's getting sheared to pieces but scrapes off the top of the WAA moisture from the Southerly 850mb flow.

The actual low pressure system that eventually comes east is like a different system in my eye's. It's been obvious that one is going to cut, but it really doesn't come through until a solid day after our potential event Saturday morning.

I might be wrong but I think this could be one of those setups where you get a finger of precip racing out much farther east and faster than the models projected..

It's definitely a weird setup though.  It's like combination of warm air advection out of the gulf along with a northern stream system that's getting sheared to pieces but scrapes off the top of the WAA moisture from the Southerly 850mb flow.

The actually low pressure system that eventually comes east is like a different system in my eye's. It's been obvious that one is going to cut, but it really doesn't come through until a solid day after our potential event Saturday morning.

You get basically a west or northwest flow while the high is in a good position. It's not until it moves out that the flow at 500 turns slightly out of the southwest. A west flow at 500 is going to make it tough to get any appreciable precip east of the mountains. Once the high slides out, you still don't get a ton of moisture in immediately. Additionally, the winds turn out of the east or southeast, depending on your model of choice. That's why I don't like this weekend.

Burger, will that arctic high still be to our north northeast or will it be east by that timeframe? Any idea how strong it'll still be when sliding to the east?

Maybe Larry (GaWx) could chime in with some statistics, but I can't recall a track like that ever giving north Georgia snow.

We had one in I believe 95 that gave us an inch or two. A clipper in 99 took a similar trajectory and gave me 1.5". Not much but it is possible.

12z UKMET says no to anyone outside TN/KY for this weekend.

Guys, don't even look at the models until this arctic air mass is in place. Once the cold air is entrenched, then the track of the moisture will be better handled. This is not your ordinary cold snap. We are talking record breaking cold and very low dews. I would worry more about lack of moisture than anything else at this stage.

Guys, don't even look at the models until this arctic air mass is in place. Once the cold air is entrenched, then the track of the moisture will be better handled. This is not your ordinary cold snap. We are talking record breaking cold and very low dews. I would worry more about lack of moisture than anything else at this stage.

I get what you're saying and I would agree, but we are just doing model madness here. :)

not again, what the hell is wrong with getting a great setup for the southeast, tired of these storms not going far enough south of us to give us the heavy snow and no sleet or freezing rain.  :axe:

Wasn't a bad look for WNC fritschy.  Decent precip with a frozen column sounding for 9 hours Saturday morning in Asheville per the 18z GFS.  This one isn't over yet but no guarantees.  Just wait and see what falls!

not again, what the hell is wrong with getting a great setup for the southeast, tired of these storms not going far enough south of us to give us the heavy snow and no sleet or freezing rain. :axe:

For the mountains we know this is going to be rain eventually but the front end of this for us might be a decent snow. That's what we want from this system a nice front end thump.

Looks like rain for everybody according to Ukie and GFS. Well, this one is over. Like the pig says: that's alllll folks.

Looks like some areas of the SE get a thump of some frozen stuff on the front end according to the GFS...am I missing something?

Edit: Looks like Met1985 beat me to it

Maybe but I am not liking the trends. If it continues this way, it will be just rain come the Oz model runs.

It didn't seem like that dramatic of a change from the 12z, but I guess it could be the beginning of a trend, I'm no expert.  But yes with the way the models have been, it could be all rain next run.  That risk is always there.

Can we stop with the death pronouncements until systems actually get here?  I get tired of reading past all the posts of people saying, "There's nothing to see here."  If there's nothing to see here, then don't come into this thread.  Leave it alone.  Stay away.  Stop cluttering up the disco.

Precip is coming at this time and temps rise to about 30F for western NC during heart of precip.  850's are borderline, could be snow to sleet to rain type deal, but heck it might not even rain, as precip shuts off late afternoon Saturday.  It's a sneaky event, could be a fun one for you guys...

post-2311-0-92022700-1424213055_thumb.pn

post-2311-0-32324500-1424213101_thumb.pn

Can we stop with the death pronouncements until systems actually get here?  I get tired of reading past all the posts of people saying, "There's nothing to see here."  If there's nothing to see here, then don't come into this thread.  Leave it alone.  Stay away.  Stop cluttering up the disco.

Agreed.  Take a look at the GFS and GGEM from 7 days ago (12z)  I wouldnt discount anything at this point .....

lJUvmnj.png

BBrYTkj.png

Archived