amirah5
    Newest Member
    amirah5
Winter Med Range Discussion days 3-10 pbp II

buckeyefan1

• Replies 3.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I like the sound of that but it sounded doom and gloom from what everyone was saying. TW

Precip takes forever to make it past the mountains. It doesn't even rain outside the mountains really until it's in the 40s/50s.

I'm not really that enthused about this one at this point. Hopefully, things will change. It'll be a shame to be 0 one night, then get a warm rain a couple days later.

Not sure why this has not been discussed more, but the 6Z and 12Z GFS continues to put down what I would term a significant winter storm from Friday through all day Saturday.  Frozen precip breaks out over MS and AL works its way into the dry cold air in GA and just pounds the GA folks.

I will not post all the frames but you get the idea.

post-1314-0-70947100-1424197622_thumb.pn

post-1314-0-48653300-1424197628_thumb.pn

post-1314-0-98780200-1424197633_thumb.pn

Not sure why this has not been discussed more, but the 6Z and 12Z GFS continues to put down what I would term a significant winter storm from Friday through all day Saturday.  Frozen precip breaks out over MS and AL works its way into the dry cold air in GA and just pounds the GA folks.

Its a mtn snowstorm for NC on the GFS and even then the mts transition to rain...

2z9ju3t.png

My main reason for not getting too excited is the expectation that the moisture will miss us to the north. God knows that's the trend this year and indeed the euro keeps showing that. And unfortunately there is almost no room for error on the gfs or canadian in terms of the precip..if it trends just a tiny amount north or just a tiny bit drier, most will get nothing. .in fact the eastern sections of the state get virtually nothing anyway. If i was in northwest ga/mountains i'd be more enthused.

My main reason for not getting too excited is the expectation that the moisture will miss us to the north. God knows that's the trend this year and indeed the euro keeps showing that. And unfortunately there is almost no room for error on the gfs or canadian in terms of the precip..if it trends just a tiny amount north or just a tiny bit drier, most will get nothing. .in fact the eastern sections of the state get virtually nothing anyway. If i was in northwest ga/mountains i'd be more enthused.

Good point.  I guess if it was 100 miles south right now we would be excited.  So yeah... TN and KY may win again?

About the only thing that has me enthused about Fri/Sat. is the fact that it's within 90 hrs. or so rather than the 180 hr. fantasy storm that gets everything going and leaves us ultimately disappointed.  The GFS has been showing this for several days consistently, so that's something I guess, but then again, look what happened within 48 hrs. here on the last storm.

- Buck

Sure hope to see some snow from this one after the big disappointment yesterday, at least we got some decent rain.

Dew points look to be in the single digits before this storm.  Also a strong HP is being shown on the GFS dropping down from Canada into the plains.  From there is looks to retrograde southwest.  Curious as to what the implications would be if the timing is off and the HP moves out quicker and further east.  Would this help suppress this weekends system and keep it from cutting?

Yep, that is what I'm afraid of.   It did tick it slightly south on the 12Z though, but still good bit from where we need it and no near as far south as the GFS.

For those that will be sick of the cold after next week, we have some hope.   It looks like the pattern finally breaks down, hopefully for good.  Day 11+ , solid -PNA pattern, here come 60-70F temps...

For those that are loving the cold weather that we are finally getting to experience, we have some hope.  It has been difficult to change the pattern all season long.  Now that we've switched to a more active southern stream and eastern trough, it may very well stick around, hopefully for good.  Here comes the arctic express the next several days, followed by more shots next week according to the GEFS.

For those that are loving the cold weather that we are finally getting to experience, we have some hope. It has been difficult to change the pattern all season long. Now that we've switched to a more active southern stream and eastern trough, it may very well stick around, hopefully for good. Here comes the arctic express the next several days, followed by more shots next week according to the GEFS.

+1

Cold almost never moderates as quickly as shown and gets pushed back on alot of occasions in the past! Kind of like when we kept seeing cold coming in December, over and over again, only to never happen! Hopefully this can happen with our cold pattern

For those that are loving the cold weather that we are finally getting to experience, we have some hope. It has been difficult to change the pattern all season long. Now that we've switched to a more active southern stream and eastern trough, it may very well stick around, hopefully for good. Here comes the arctic express the next several days, followed by more shots next week according to the GEFS.

Yes, precip has not been a problem here since December. We just haven't had the cold. Now we have the cold around and just need the wet pattern to keep repeating.

I bet the waa will have a tough time Saturday just like this past storm. I mean it very well may be ice but I doubt plain rain. Maybe at very end could be plain rain? Wasn't this last storm modeled to overcome this cold which it didn't, Models will way under estimate the cold dry air. just like it will Saturday!! JMO

I bet the waa will have a tough time Saturday just like this past storm. I mean it very well may be ice but I doubt plain rain. Maybe at very end could be plain rain? Wasn't this last storm modeled to overcome this cold which it didn't, Models will way under estimate the cold dry air. just like it will Saturday!! JMO

This wedge is way stronger too than any wedge was yesterday, high in a way better spot and stronger

It's time for a thread on the Friday-Saturday storm when the NWS starts talking dirty like this.

AREA FORECAST DISCUSSION
NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE PEACHTREE CITY GA
240 PM EST TUE FEB 17 2015

EXTENDED FORECAST CONTINUES TO BE DOMINATED BY LATE WEEK WINTER
PRECIP POTENTIAL. GFS AND ECMWF ARE IN BETTER AGREEMENT WITH
TIMING OF PRECIPITATION ONSET EARLY FRIDAY AND THE PROLONGED
PERIOD OF MOISTURE OVER THE AREA THROUGH THE WEEKEND. OVERALL THIS
CONTINUES TO BE A TRICKY...LOW CONFIDENCE FORECAST. FOR
NOW...MODELS CONTINUE TO SHOW SNOW AT THE ONSET ACROSS NORTH
GEORGIA...TRANSITIONING TO A FREEZING RAIN/SNOW MIX FRIDAY
AFTERNOON AND OVERNIGHT INTO SATURDAY...AND THEN EVENTUALLY TO ALL
RAIN SATURDAY NIGHT. BUFR SOUNDINGS ALSO HIGHLIGHT THIS TRANSITION