• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    gopenoxfox
    Newest Member
    gopenoxfox
Winter Med Range Discussion days 3-10 pbp II

buckeyefan1

It's time for a thread on the Friday-Saturday storm when the NWS starts talking dirty like this.

AREA FORECAST DISCUSSION

NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE PEACHTREE CITY GA

240 PM EST TUE FEB 17 2015

EXTENDED FORECAST CONTINUES TO BE DOMINATED BY LATE WEEK WINTER

PRECIP POTENTIAL. GFS AND ECMWF ARE IN BETTER AGREEMENT WITH

TIMING OF PRECIPITATION ONSET EARLY FRIDAY AND THE PROLONGED

PERIOD OF MOISTURE OVER THE AREA THROUGH THE WEEKEND. OVERALL THIS

CONTINUES TO BE A TRICKY...LOW CONFIDENCE FORECAST. FOR

NOW...MODELS CONTINUE TO SHOW SNOW AT THE ONSET ACROSS NORTH

GEORGIA...TRANSITIONING TO A FREEZING RAIN/SNOW MIX FRIDAY

AFTERNOON AND OVERNIGHT INTO SATURDAY...AND THEN EVENTUALLY TO ALL

RAIN SATURDAY NIGHT. BUFR SOUNDINGS ALSO HIGHLIGHT THIS TRANSITION

OF P-TYPES AS FAR SOUTH AS ATLANTA. THIS TRANSITION IS HIGHLY

DEPENDENT ON THE EXTENT OF THE WEDGE SATURDAY AND HOW QUICKLY IT

ERODES...ALLOWING FOR WARMING TEMPERATURES OVER THE AREA. FOR

NOW...CONFIDENCE IS HIGH ENOUGH TO INCLUDE SOME SNOWFALL AMOUNTS

IN THE GRIDS AT THIS TIME. HAVE GENERALLY GONE WITH 0.5-1 INCH

ACROSS THE ATL METRO AREA...AND 1-3 INCHES ACROSS NORTH GEORGIA

AND 2-4 IN THE HIGHER ELEVATIONS. EXPECT THIS FORECAST TO CONTINUE

TO EVOLVE...PARTICULARLY WITH RESPECT TO TEMPERATURES AND

SNOWFALL/ICE AMOUNTS.

Wow ! That is bold! 1 inch for ATL , that's almost 100% of climo! Snowstorm11 won't have to chase a u turn!

• Replies 3.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wow ! That is bold! 1 inch for ATL , that's almost 100% of climo! Snowstorm11 won't have to chase a u turn!

And being in the upstate we love to hear Ga start talking like this especially us in the western upstate! Im getting more excited about this weekends threat that I did with this one. Its sure looking like we could get snow out of this weekends.

And being in the upstate we love to hear Ga start talking like this especially us in the western upstate! Im getting more excited about this weekends threat that I did with this one. Its sure looking like we could get snow out of this weekends.

Meh, this is a weird trajectory and I'm gonna wait till Friday and see what shakes out

It's time for a thread on the Friday-Saturday storm when the NWS starts talking dirty like this.

AREA FORECAST DISCUSSION

NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE PEACHTREE CITY GA

240 PM EST TUE FEB 17 2015

EXTENDED FORECAST CONTINUES TO BE DOMINATED BY LATE WEEK WINTER

PRECIP POTENTIAL. GFS AND ECMWF ARE IN BETTER AGREEMENT WITH

TIMING OF PRECIPITATION ONSET EARLY FRIDAY AND THE PROLONGED

PERIOD OF MOISTURE OVER THE AREA THROUGH THE WEEKEND. OVERALL THIS

CONTINUES TO BE A TRICKY...LOW CONFIDENCE FORECAST. FOR

NOW...MODELS CONTINUE TO SHOW SNOW AT THE ONSET ACROSS NORTH

GEORGIA...TRANSITIONING TO A FREEZING RAIN/SNOW MIX FRIDAY

AFTERNOON AND OVERNIGHT INTO SATURDAY...AND THEN EVENTUALLY TO ALL

RAIN SATURDAY NIGHT. BUFR SOUNDINGS ALSO HIGHLIGHT THIS TRANSITION

OF P-TYPES AS FAR SOUTH AS ATLANTA. THIS TRANSITION IS HIGHLY

DEPENDENT ON THE EXTENT OF THE WEDGE SATURDAY AND HOW QUICKLY IT

ERODES...ALLOWING FOR WARMING TEMPERATURES OVER THE AREA. FOR

NOW...CONFIDENCE IS HIGH ENOUGH TO INCLUDE SOME SNOWFALL AMOUNTS

IN THE GRIDS AT THIS TIME. HAVE GENERALLY GONE WITH 0.5-1 INCH

ACROSS THE ATL METRO AREA...AND 1-3 INCHES ACROSS NORTH GEORGIA

AND 2-4 IN THE HIGHER ELEVATIONS. EXPECT THIS FORECAST TO CONTINUE

TO EVOLVE...PARTICULARLY WITH RESPECT TO TEMPERATURES AND

SNOWFALL/ICE AMOUNTS.

Couple of camps on this one, will it evolve better for snow lovers or worse. Could FFC be going all in because of yesterday. Couple of days of model runs to sort through, the positive is the much stronger and real CAD as previously mentioned.

But why would you want 1 to 3 inches if it just going to rain and wash it all way???   :)

I just shoveled my driveway, I would love if it rained tonight and washed it all away.  

Someone needs to create a separate thread for this Friday/Sat deal, every model has it for N-GA, NW-SC and western-NC.

I was about to ask why everyone keeps trolling him but then I realized he keeps taking the bait.  

I will believe the models when I actually see snow falling from the sky.  With this one, if nothing else, everything will stick since Thursday and Friday will be below freezing with possible lows in the single digits.  It always worries me to see snow have to cross Lookout Mountain since it gobbles up the moisture.  It has happened before but it is usually 1-1.5".

So has the threat been pushed back to Tues and Wed next week? I thought at one time there was a threat for Monday. With so many things showing up in the next 7 days it is hard to keep up.

No, it's always been Tues-Wed potential.  It's been consistently showing on the mean for several runs now...keep in mind this includes the Friday/Sat deal for w-NC, GA, SC, TN...for places east of GSO what is showing is just be all for the day 7-8 deal.  Looks to be 4-5" for RDU at day 7 is impressive for a mean.

post-2311-0-77563400-1424205465_thumb.pn

No, it's always been Tues-Wed potential. It's been consistently showing on the mean for several runs now...keep in mind this includes the Friday/Sat deal for w-NC, GA, SC, TN...for places east of GSO what is showing is just be all for the day 7-8 deal. Looks to be 4-5" for RDU at day 7 is impressive for a mean.

Don't get Brick's hopes up with images like that unless, wait, is there blocking?

I don't know what people see in the forecast for this weekend honestly. Gonna be Snow -> Sleet -> Freezing Rain -> Rain 

ETprobs_ecoast_radius200_ensemble01_17.p

While that is probably correct why diminish the fact some places in the mountains may receive their heaviest snowfall of the season? Maybe the sun wont be strong enough to fuel the precip and it will diminish with nightfall :whistle:

How Far East Matt? Do they still have moisture in Mtns and N. Foothills? I'm on my phone can't pull models up to see, not good enough signal. TIA

Yes, your area does pretty well. 

To me, this is a weird setup for Saturday..... tough to get a good feel on. 

And that is exactly what they see:  It will be snow to sleet to freezing rain to rain (maybe).  If you already know what they see, then why did you ask the question?

lol was about to say the exact same thing. Isn't this what we have been wishing for? Real actual threats of winter weather. I'll happily take an inch or two of snow switching to sleet to ZR than to rain...will be fun at least. 

I don't know what people see in the forecast for this weekend honestly. Gonna be Snow -> Sleet -> Freezing Rain -> Rain 

ETprobs_ecoast_radius200_ensemble01_17.p

Lets hope there is a screw up in the initialization and that track can move about 2-300 miles south. It will be coming on the heels of a record cold air mass, should allow for more variability.

Archived