• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    12bet1 net
    Newest Member
    12bet1 net
Winter Med Range Discussion days 3-10 pbp II

buckeyefan1

KGSP increasing confidence for the weekend event. I think we stick with the hot hand and let Burger start the thread again.

.LONG TERM /FRIDAY THROUGH MONDAY/...

AS OF 345 AM TUESDAY...THE 00Z GFS AND ECWMF HAVE COME INTO BETTER

AGREEMENT ON MANY OF THE DETAILS OF THE WX PATTERN ACRS THE EASTERN

STATES DURING THE MEDIUM RANGE. THEY ARE TRENDING MORE UNSETTLED

THIS WEEKEND...AS THE SOUTHERN STREAM WILL BE ACTIVE...WITH A SERIES

OF WAVES PROMOTING PERIODS OF PRECIP ACRS MUCH OF THE SOUTHEAST

STATES. POPS LOOK TO RAMP UP FRIDAY NIGHT AND SATURDAY...AS HIGH

PRES SHIFTS EAST...AND STRONG LLVL WAA OUT OF THE SW BRINGS GULF

MOISTURE ATOP A COLD/DRY ARCTIC AIR MASS. SO CONFIDENCE IS

INCREASING ON ANOTHER WINTRY PRECIP EVENT TO START THE WEEKEND.

• Replies 3.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

RAH seems on board with a shot at some nice rates.

WITH A CONVECTIVE

CONTRIBUTION... EXPECT TO SEE A SHORT PERIOD OF HEAVIER RATES... AND

WOULDN`T BE AT ALL SURPRISED TO SEE A DUSTING TO A HALF INCH OF SNOW

IN SOME SPOTS LATE WED INTO EARLY WED EVENING.

We didn't get a flake at our house out of the last system so this would be nice even though it's only minimal amounts. However I'm much more excited for the potential we have in the next week or so but without a -NAO it's going to be a coin toss again.

AND STRONG LLVL WAA OUT OF THE SW BRINGS GULF MOISTURE ATOP A COLD/DRY ARCTIC AIR MASS. SO CONFIDENCE IS

INCREASING ON ANOTHER WINTRY PRECIP EVENT TO START THE WEEKEND.

Another possibility of the dreaded warm nose.  I'd love to see some snow, some of the GFS runs have shown the finger of precip streaking east on Friday when it's still quite cold, but after last night, I can do without another ice storm.  It's a real mess here NE of Atlanta.

- Buck

Man, I'm pulling for the Canadian. A foot of snow followed by almost 3" of IP.

Yea, lots of potential here. The Ukmet/Euro are not breaking out any precip east into our area, but this looks like the type setup to me where you can get a band of overrunning that shoots out farther than what the models are projecting.  If you look at the 700mb RH field you can get a sense of this potential.

I Don't want to sound too much like a weenie... but the 84hr NAM appears to be setting up very nice for a Saturday morning event.

I don't know. Looks like it would want to cut straight up(cutter). The high is moving out and that will direct it north.

http://mag.ncep.noaa.gov/Image.php?fhr=084ℑ=data%2Fnam%2F12%2Fnam_namer_084_1000_500_thick.gif&model=nam&area=namer&param=1000_500_thick&group=Model+Guidance&preselected_formatted_cycle_date=20150217+12+UTC&imageSize=M&ps=model

In all likelihood it is going to cut north of us.  I'm more concerned with getting in on the overrunning precip out ahead of the low before this happens.  

This appears to be a stretch for eastern sections of NC, but western NC, North GA, etc are very much in the game for the overrunning precip on friday night/saturday morning.

12z GFS is interesting. Tries to keep a circle of sub freezing temps in CAD areas of NC this weekend with the storm. I think it is severely underplaying the cold air left over in the region. I would suspect we have a repeat from last night on Saturday maybe with more snow associated at the front end and a little less moisture to work with. 

Archived