joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Winter Med Range Discussion days 3-10 pbp II

buckeyefan1

• Replies 3.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The clipper bears watching. It could put down a quick inch or two for some spots.

This system bears watching for two reasons:

1.) The temperatures are SO COLD, that the ratios will be INSANE and you would be surprised where certain lucky places will see a couple of inches where others will not, however...

2.) I remember the proverbial "fly in the ointment" storm from 2003 (or was it 2002?)!! This storm was setup almost like this one a few days before. Two days before the storm, the models called for a dusting, then the next day was 1-2". The models held on to that up until 2 hours into the storm, GSP reconized that a ULL had formed (I cannot remember if there was any help with blocking? I do not believe there was) and then the sky opened up! There was a widespread snow and MANY PLACES received 8-12"! Also, there was thundersnow. All from a pesky ULL that formed AFTER the snow had started. This was one of the best winter storms I had ever witnessed, until my FAV, which was in February, 2004! 17" IMBY! W

This system bears watching for two reasons:

1.) The temperatures are SO COLD, that the ratios will be INSANE and you would be surprised where certain lucky places will see a couple of inches where others will not, however...

2.) I remember the proverbial "fly in the ointment" storm from 2003 (or was it 2002?)!! This storm was setup almost like this one a few days before. Two days before the storm, the models called for a dusting, then the next day was 1-2". The models held on to that up until 2 hours into the storm, GSP reconized that a ULL had formed (I cannot remember if there was any help with blocking? I do not believe there was) and then the sky opened up! There was a widespread snow and MANY PLACES received 8-12"! Also, there was thundersnow. All from a pesky ULL that formed AFTER the snow had started. This was one of the best winter storms I had ever witnessed, until my FAV, which was in February, 2004! 17" IMBY! W

I think that was 03? It started snowing hard here about midnight at about 42, was 22 by 6 am, had about 3-5 here , but Cowpens had like 10+ or something

Just looked at the models on tropical tidbits, the CMC was the only one I saw that showed anything wintry for the upstate for either the weekend system or next week. All the others just showed rain. Central NC had a little better shot on a couple of the runs. Right now, looks like the cold will be gone just in time for the weekend system, at least for the upstate, with temps progged into the 40s and 50s for Sat and Sun. Not the best look for the upstate, but I think NC will have a better shot. Here to hoping I will finally see my first flake of the season :popcorn: (lots of sleet today but no snow).

Archived