• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Winter Med Range Discussion days 3-10 pbp II

buckeyefan1

Does anybody see that massive 1046 high dropping in just northwest of Lake Superior? If that is really there, that storm ain't going north. That is nearly perfect! If that remains on future guidance and if we have a southern stream system, then just about everybody here should start getting pumped.

• Replies 3.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The 12z GGEM has sleet, freezing rain, and snow into AL, GA, SC, NC on the first weekend system it looks like.  These ptype maps of course are taken with a grain of salt.

Edit: after, a surface low gets going and is lifting Northward into TN and NC is in for a possible ZR fest.

Does anybody see that massive 1046 high dropping in just northwest of Lake Superior? If that is really there, that storm ain't going north. That is nearly perfect! If that remains on future guidance and if we have a southern stream system, then just about everybody here should start getting pumped.

Those highs have tended to be weaker all year long and not come as far south as modeled beyond 72 hours.  Ironically I think GA/SC/AL in this event may benefit from this happening, but not with that high, with the high that is over NC/SC at 96 hours...if that high is ultimately more north and east it probably positions them better for getting slammed with overrunning, right now its possible that misses them to the W and N.  Of course, if that high is more north than after 120 they flip to rain, but IMO that's gonna happen anyhow

Do you have access to precip or RH panels for the Ukmet? It's hard for me to tell if it's generating any precip based off the 500mb and surface pressure maps.

From the 12z yesterday "snowfall maps" I don't see much out of far Northern parts of GA/AL & NC mountains through 144 hours.  The precip maps follow that line too it seems.  It's hard since the only access I have is "total accumulated precip" though.  This current storm is in the way and makes it hard.. but there is definitely nothing crazily heavy.

In other words not GFS/GGEM like in any way.. probably not even as much as the 00z Euro had for precip.

Those highs have tended to be weaker all year long and not come as far south as modeled beyond 72 hours. Ironically I think GA/SC/AL in this event may benefit from this happening, but not with that high, with the high that is over NC/SC at 96 hours...if that high is ultimately more north and east it probably positions them better for getting slammed with overrunning, right now its possible that misses them to the W and N. Of course, if that high is more north than after 120 they flip to rain, but IMO that's gonna happen anyhow

I agree that they have been overmodeled all year, like you said. If it is this time, then yeah, not much to see here. But if it's real, it'll be a whole different ballgame.

Has anyone ever seen such a setup with a vort running almost NW-SE into an arctic high in those areas?  I never have, I have seen SW-NE movers but NW-SE to me would scream that AL and GA would be downsloped.

If I'm not mistaken on the crappy UKMET maps at least from last night; you can see some lighter precip diving down.. and just wanting to clip, but I don't know if 72 hours is really far enough to judge.

Has anyone ever seen such a setup with a vort running almost NW-SE into an arctic high in those areas?  I never have, I have seen SW-NE movers but NW-SE to me would scream that AL and GA would be downsloped.

We've had plenty of cases of vorts in NW flow yield wintry weather, but yeah snowgoose, I don't recall one where it is running into a sfc high that is essentially being held up by a PV lobe like that.

Ukmet is out now. Have to wait till later this afternoon to get finer details for weekend. Super james can knab em. I can't till on phone, don't have access to 5oo mb maps

12z GFS/CMC/UKMet all have some light clipper snow on Wed.

UKMet looks similar to CMC with snow streaking into TN/N Bama/N GA Thurs into Fri...that system eventually digs too far west and warms up

Has anyone ever seen such a setup with a vort running almost NW-SE into an arctic high in those areas? I never have, I have seen SW-NE movers but NW-SE to me would scream that AL and GA would be downsloped.

It happened a couple of times in the 90s but it was never more than an inch or two. I would gladly take that at this point.

I know it will be wrong, but the 12Z GFS is just a catastrophic ice storm for NC. Starts around 120 and lasts through around 204. There's another arctic outbreak around/just after D10. Then, a brief warm-up, followed by more cold and storminess. It also shows ridging in eastern Canada/near Greenland, so you know it's wrong. But what a winter run it was!

Yeah, Euro shows 10 to 12 inches of snow from Raleigh eastward. 

I think we are entering a repeating pattern like we have seen most of the winter. Ever since December, it has rained almost every week between Saturday and Monday. Now we have the cold to go with it. 

The weekend of February 6-9 was horrific around here. 

Per the 12Z King: now that's a typical widespread major SE winter storm on 2/23-4....a weak Miller A low. Staying away from land other than the far SE/FL. Weak. Not disturbing the Arctic air that makes it down to the SE below the very cold high crossing the MW into the NE. Then a coastal gives the SE coast a historical big hit, one of the the biggest (biggest some locations) coastal snow hits since 12/1989 on 2/25-6! That gives ILM 9", MYR 5", CHS 4", SAV 2", and even Waycross (AYS) 1"! By the way, those are legit snows per the model. OK, just for entertainment but shows the potential for the SE US with this continued very cold pattern and moisture at least lurking nearby.     

Per the 12Z King: now that's a typical widespread major SE winter storm on 2/23-4....a weak Miller A low. Staying away from land other than the far SE/FL. Weak. Not disturbing the Arctic air that makes it down to the SE below the very cold high crossing the MW into the NE. Then a coastal gives the SE coast a historical big hit, one of the the biggest (biggest some locations) coastal snow hits since 12/1989 on 2/25-6! That gives ILM 9", MYR 5", CHS 4", SAV 2", and even Waycross (AYS) 1"! By the way, those are legit snows per the model. OK, just for entertainment but shows the potential for the SE US with this continued very cold pattern and moisture at least lurking nearby.     

It'll trend north :)

It'll trend north :)

I have to second this. As much as I would like 9", the overall pattern does not favor such in my opinion. Yes, there is arctic air in place. But despite the +PNA/-EPO regime, the AO and NAO have been largely positive throughout the winter, giving way to a storm track generally north of here with a lack of upper-level blocking.

However, I would love to be wrong.  :P

just for kicks - any clown maps? waycross is a short drive, if it were to ever happen ... lol

Absolutely this storm could go north.  Who knows?  I was on a conference call earlier with mets from GSP going over today's storm when someone asked them about this weekend's potential.  Their response was "could be a rainstorm or a widespread winter storm, too early to tell."  Last week at this time, we had models sending today's storm to Chicago.  All I know is it's sleeting here right now at 32 degrees with a 25 degree DP and it ain't doin nothin Chicago.  It's just fun having a cold active pattern with multiple threats to track.  I like our chances but sure would be nice to see a little blocking!!!!

Roughly counted 19 members with heavy amounts of "snow" into KCAE even on the 12z EPS members for next week's potential Miller A.

The total members for "something" at least are much higher.  There are some absolute monsters mixed in too. 

Yeah, the mean has a nice suppressed miller A look to it from eastern gulf up off the SE coast days 7-10.  Arctic boundary is just pressed well south

From WPC for late this week...

IN GENERAL THE EVOLUTION OF UPR FLOW TOWARD A POSITIVELY TILTEDTROUGH ALOFT COMBINED WITH GREATER FLOW OF MSTR FROM THE GULFSHOULD PRODUCE AN INCREASINGLY MESSY PCPN PATTERN CNTRL-ERN AREASWITH SNOW N/RAIN S AND A POTENTIALLY SIGNIFICANT TRANSITION ZONEBTWN THE TWO.  IT WILL TAKE SOME TIME TO DEVELOP CONFIDENCE INTIMING/COVERAGE OF SPECIFIC PCPN AREAS... THOUGH FOR AT LEAST ACOUPLE DAYS OR SO THE BEST POTENTIAL FOR HEAVIEST PCPN TOTALS FORTHE OVERALL PERIOD HAS EXTENDED FROM THE SERN PLAINS INTO PARTS OFTHE SOUTHEAST/SRN HALF OF THE APLCHNS

Archived