joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
1/25-1/27 Clipper-Miller B Obs/Nowcasting

WxUSAF

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So now that the current returns have collapsed, which direction are our next bands going to come from?

It's going pretty much according to plan for us....initial slug this morning that pretty much wouldn't do anything substantial here because of temps/precip type...then a lull and the coastal takes over and the shield dries out (which is happening now).  And then this afternoon, probably late, we see temps drop and snow redevelop in association with the  inverted trough.  Where and how much is up in the air, but west of DC getting the best enhancement is the best bet.  And then overnight, we may get some coastal throwback, but would probably be --SN, with little or no accumulation.

Snow has stopped here and instant meltage.  Perhaps we snuck in 1/2" on the grass.  Hard surfaces completely clear.  

Just for the record NWS comically upped our WSW to 6-8" of snow.  There has never been a worse week here in all my 44 years.  Since Tuesday 12-19 inches has been forecasted.  We rec'd a combined 1" of mangled slop that accumulated on nothing but grass.   Everyone could see these busts coming, save for the NWS.  SMH.

Places the norlun right over us, one thing I remember about these features is that models struggle to predict them properly....let's just hope the placement is right and then maybe it surprises.

I think at this point it is at least fun from a surprise perspective.  The bar is set so low....It isn't like 12/26, when the rug was pulled out...or at least not to me....so far overnight morning went according to plan.  But these bands are forming earlier than I thought, and it is colder than I thought it would be...

The Great Flizzard of 2015 continues here in Crofton, though with some banding setting up. Problem is the boundary layer temps are such that the flakes are severely rimed (sleety snow) -- it's almost like a March event trying to get this stuff to accumulate efficiently. Pretty sad considering the solar insulation isn't that much of a limiting factor yet.

The difference between the NAM and GFS for NYC. Yikes. Not that I'm glad that we are fighting over a couple of inches, but...

If the GFS fails bad it's going to be Sandy redux with euro brown nosing.

I think at this point it is at least fun from a surprise perspective.  The bar is set so low....It isn't like 12/26, when the rug was pulled out...or at least not to me....so far overnight morning went according to plan.  But these bands are forming earlier than I thought, and it is colder than I thought it would be...

Exactly how I feel, if we can score any accumulating/street whitening snow I'm going to consider this a win....also Norluns are pretty rare down here and I've never been in/near one.

As much as I don't want to believe...the signal for some sort of banding is really strong. And what is going on right now is kinda surprising. 

I don't get the talk about boxing day at all. We haven't been in the game for good snow for at least 48 hours and the most we thought we'd get when it looked good was like 3-6/4-8. Boxing day was an upper cut to the chin followed by a haymaker to the face. This event is at least getting fun again at the end. My bar is 1" clean inch and it's starting to maybe look easy?

Archived